Tornado Duals

pantheon

misled...told by Pinkstaff himself that they were taking top wrestlers from the state

yes my son has a "true" team...and has stayed there only picked up by pinkstaff for this tournament in 4th grade...

and sour grapes? no, actually he was asked again the following year and we chose not to participate...btw...my son is a 7 yr wrestler and very happy where he is

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(humphreyssm @ Jan 27 2007 - 10:12 PM) 826348674[/snapback]

misled...told by Pinkstaff himself that they were taking top wrestlers from the state

yes my son has a "true" team...and has stayed there only picked up by pinkstaff for this tournament in 4th grade...

and sour grapes? no, actually he was asked again the following year and we chose not to participate...btw...my son is a 7 yr wrestler and very happy where he is

Are you saying that your son was not a top wrestler from the state? Or, was he the only one who was???

QUOTE(LouWho @ Jan 27 2007 - 11:16 PM) 826348682[/snapback]

Are you saying that your son was not a top wrestler from the state? Or, was he the only one who was???

i am saying neither...my son was aau state champion 3 years and runner up 3 years...and when he wrestled with team tennessee we were told they were taking the champions from the state and filling the weight classes...when we got there...we found out they only took champions from classes that they thought their kids would not fair well..and some of the kids that they took from webb did not win at state...and yes, all the money i am able to contribute goes into this wrestling program...

They can not possible take just the AAU state champions for team tennessee. They have tried that in the past and it never works. In years past the coaches have waited till after the AAU state championships to tell everyone who won you have been invited to wrestle and many of them can not go. So what ends up happening is the coaches incharge of putting the team together has to at the last minute try to find replacements to fill these spots.

The team that Coach Pinkstaff is putting together does represent many of the best in the state. Some parents or coaches may object to this saying their child has beaten one of the kids on the team. But it is better to have a full lineup of kids who if not the best top 1 or 2 wrestlers in the state than to have a lineup of just champions and replacements for those who couldnt come.

These coaches are not professional scouts. They do the best they can to have the best possible team they can find from across the state. They have also done a great job this year of getting that team together early so they can begin to build a sense of team and with the additions of the Baylor and McCallie boys it should be a great squad.

Here is my list of who will be going. I am neither a Coach nor a parent so these are just my opinions not Coach Pinkstaff's but I think my list is quite close.

75 Cayce Ortale, MBA or Tyler Davis, memphis

80 Nick Maxwells, Praetorian

85 Zach Watson, Baylor

90 Carlos Calloway BA

95 ??

100 Michael Hooker, Praetorian

105 Stuart Doster, Baylor

110 Alex Manely, Baylor

115 ??

120 Chris Hoop, Brentwood

125 TJ Duncan, McCallie

130 Nelson Pinkstaff, Praetorian

135 Brennen Cox, Page

140 ??

145 Luster

152 ??

160 ??

171 ??

189 Steven Fortner, Praetorian

HWT Zach Stoke, Page

4 Alts alowed

These are my thoughts so far. No ideas for the ?? spots.

QUOTE(Lucas is my idol @ Jan 28 2007 - 05:08 AM) 826348996[/snapback]

They can not possible take just the AAU state champions for team tennessee. They have tried that in the past and it never works. In years past the coaches have waited till after the AAU state championships to tell everyone who won you have been invited to wrestle and many of them can not go. So what ends up happening is the coaches incharge of putting the team together has to at the last minute try to find replacements to fill these spots.

The team that Coach Pinkstaff is putting together does represent many of the best in the state. Some parents or coaches may object to this saying their child has beaten one of the kids on the team. But it is better to have a full lineup of kids who if not the best top 1 or 2 wrestlers in the state than to have a lineup of just champions and replacements for those who couldnt come.

These coaches are not professional scouts. They do the best they can to have the best possible team they can find from across the state. They have also done a great job this year of getting that team together early so they can begin to build a sense of team and with the additions of the Baylor and McCallie boys it should be a great squad.

nick maxwell is the kid in question...choked my kid three times at mccallie...was warned twice, not sure why not disqualified at second warning...and not "caught" on the third...sad...

Here is my list of who will be going. I am neither a Coach nor a parent so these are just my opinions not Coach Pinkstaff's but I think my list is quite close.

75 Cayce Ortale, MBA or Tyler Davis, memphis

80 Praetorian kids dunno name went undefeated at mccallie

85 Zach Watson, Baylor

90 Carlos Calloway BA

95 ??

100 Michael Hooker, Praetorian

105 Stuart Doster, Baylor

110 Alex Manely, Baylor

115 ??

120 Chris Hoop, Brentwood

125 TJ Duncan, McCallie

130 Nelson Pinkstaff, Praetorian

135 Brennen Cox, Page

140 ??

145 Luster

152 ??

160 ??

171 ??

189 Steven Fortner, Praetorian

HWT Zach Stoke, Page

4 Alts alowed

These are my thoughts so far. No ideas for the ?? spots and if anyone knows who the Praetorian kid with the bleach blond hair whos dad coaches and mom keeps the books please let me know so I can add him in.

QUOTE(pantheon @ Jan 14 2007 - 09:28 AM) 826331497[/snapback]

Participating middle schools: (1/13/07)

Baylor

Cleveland

Dalton

Eastbrook

East Ridge

Hunter

Lake Forest

Maryville

McCallie

Ocoee

Praetorian Club

Seymour

Woodland

Prelim Pool Results: (+1 wildcard)

note: McCallie B-team pulled from competition after the prelim round to even the teams. Measure taken due to the loss of a participating team earlier in the week.

Pool A

Lake Forest, 2-0

Eastbrook, 1-1

McCallie - B team, 0-2

Pool B

Cleveland, 2-0

Woodland, 1-1

Hunter - B team, 0-2

Pool C

Baylor, 2-0

Praetorian*, 1-1

Dalton, 0-2

Pool D

McCallie - A team, 2-0

East Ridge, 1-1

Maryville, 0-2

Pool E

Seymour, 2-0

Hunter - A team, 1-1

Ocoee, 0-2

* - denotes wild card

Championship Pool Results:

Pool 2A

Baylor, 2-0

Lake Forest, 1-1

Cleveland, 0-2

Pool 2B

Praetorian, 2-0

McCallie, 1-1

Seymour, 0-2

note: teams finishing 2nd & 3rd in their prelim pools were paired respectively into pools of 4 to wrestle three more duals, totalling 5 duals for the day.

Medal Round

1st Place - Baylor defeated Praetorian, 45-39

3rd Place - McCallie defeated Lake Forest, 38-35

5th Place - Cleveland defeated Seymour, 46-38

Congrats to Baylor, especially for defeating a tough Praetorian team twice.

We enjoyed having everyone in for the duals, great crowd. There was plenty of good wrestling and tons of experience gained by all.

Any idea on how our Sharpshooters oompare?

Here's a little something from this past Saturday...

Roane County 83-0, Maury 84-0, Pigeon Forge 84-0. then to...

One of Tennessee's Best programs from, of course,,, Bradley/Lakeforest! It was a great fought match, with us winning 10 of the 14 weight classes and a final score of 50-21. We then went into the championship round and faced an all-star team from Williamson County and beat them 66-15. We would then have to face the winner of the Seymour vs. Bradley match. At first I thought Seymour, who is the true powerhouse MS team from East (Knoxville area) Tennessee had beat Bradley, but Bradley pulled it out in the end 39-36. So, we would have to face Bradley again for what was supposed to be the TNAAU Dual State Championship. This time our boys did a little better winning 54-18.

QUOTE(soms @ Jan 29 2007 - 12:09 AM) 826349832[/snapback]

Any idea on how our Sharpshooters oompare?

Here's a little something from this past Saturday...

Roane County 83-0, Maury 84-0, Pigeon Forge 84-0. then to...

One of Tennessee's Best programs from, of course,,, Bradley/Lakeforest! It was a great fought match, with us winning 10 of the 14 weight classes and a final score of 50-21. We then went into the championship round and faced an all-star team from Williamson County and beat them 66-15. We would then have to face the winner of the Seymour vs. Bradley match. At first I thought Seymour, who is the true powerhouse MS team from East (Knoxville area) Tennessee had beat Bradley, but Bradley pulled it out in the end 39-36. So, we would have to face Bradley again for what was supposed to be the TNAAU Dual State Championship. This time our boys did a little better winning 54-18.

honestly? i think the sharpshooters would have faired well...and thanks for the nice comment on seymour's middle school program...we would have faired much better at mccallie if better referees...ex...mccallie wrestling seymour...one match stoped going into a pin due to bleeding that wasn't happening...praetorian wrestler caught twice choking yet no points awarded or disqualified...pins not consistently called...kudos to your win in sevier county...sure wish seymour could have wrestled against your boys...top notch teams..both of em...haha...with no recruiting!

Lake Forest wrestled well at both Pigeon Forge and McCallie. All the boys attend Lake Forest Middle and quite a few have only a year or two of experience. We went to Pigeon Forge tourny on short notice and fared well.

As for the Team TN deal, my son is last years state and national champ and has never been considered for more than an alternate. It seems that Team Tn has turned into yet another select team.

QUOTE(babybearmom @ Jan 29 2007 - 08:02 AM) 826349951[/snapback]

Lake Forest wrestled well at both Pigeon Forge and McCallie. All the boys attend Lake Forest Middle and quite a few have only a year or two of experience. We went to Pigeon Forge tourny on short notice and fared well.

As for the Team TN deal, my son is last years state and national champ and has never been considered for more than an alternate. It seems that Team Tn has turned into yet another select team.

i agree with you...team tennessee has always been a select team(i'm talking about the one by pinkstaff called praetorian now). lake forest has alot of good wrestlers...our seymour kids enjoyed wrestling them, pretty good match up too as far as experience. good job lake forrest! can i ask what your sons name is and wt class?

Just a couple of observations about this "Team TN" discussion. First, who is the best and who's not is very subjective. As an example, since Wright beat Creagan some believe that Wright is the best at 160, but their are others that believe Creagan is still the best at 160. Second, there is no "true" "Team TN" and probably never will be. Why? Because it is subjective. If you have 3 coaches making the selection for one team, and they have the pick of the litter from across the entire state, I would bet that those 3 coaches wouldn't agree on all 14 or so weight classes.

Mr Pinkstaff has chosen those that he believes to be the best for his team that he is taking to Iowa. Many may not agree with all of his selections, or what his criteria was for being chosen, but since he is taking the lead and the responsibility of taking a team to this tournament, shouldn't it be his decision on who he deem's as the best for his team? I could be wrong, but, I don't think TNAAU is footing any of this teams bill for this tournament, which would make this his team to place whomever he desired.

This discussion comes up every year when wrestlers at the HS level are being selected to represent TN at Nationals, as does the same argument. Some agree on those that are selected to participate and some don't. How does it get fixed? It won't because everyone has a different opinion.

QUOTE(humphreyssm @ Jan 28 2007 - 11:48 PM) 826349865[/snapback]

honestly? i think the sharpshooters would have faired well...and thanks for the nice comment on seymour's middle school program...we would have faired much better at mccallie if better referees...ex...mccallie wrestling seymour...one match stoped going into a pin due to bleeding that wasn't happening...praetorian wrestler caught twice choking yet no points awarded or disqualified...pins not consistently called...kudos to your win in sevier county...sure wish seymour could have wrestled against your boys...top notch teams..both of em...haha...with no recruiting!

I think you can always make excuses for not winning. However, middle school is where wrestlers work and learn to get ready for high school. It makes no difference that some teams join together with other areas in order to fill a team and be more competitive. It is the ability to compete with and practice with the best that will get the wrestlers ready. When they get to high school it will be a truly "school" team effort. What excuses will you make then will you once again claim unfair competition, recruiting, BAD REFS?

Personally, I saw the match with the TN team and Seymour. The kid cried out he was being choked every time he was about to be pinned. There are always going to be times that your wrestlers have to make the best of a situation, (maybe someone is pushing the limits of what is a legal move) do you teach them to complain or do you teach them to do their best and learn from each experience. Who did your varsity wrestlers blame last year when they couldn't compete at the state?