treatment of coaches' families

refchaser

QUOTE(refchaser @ Jan 20 2007 - 11:33 PM) 826339596[/snapback]

I am pretty sure I know who you are and I think some things you THINK he said were taken out of context. Nothing I can say will make you believe otherwise but I know the man's heart and she was in it and still is. He might have said some players PLAYED like s--- at times but that is not the same as saying a person IS s---. I know he said some of his players' parents who were good athletes had been in bad programs (basketball programs that did not get the best out of them as players) but that is not the same as putting down a family. Sometimes the best kids in the world get ticked off at school and over-simplify what a coach or teacher says. I am not saying they lie; I am saying that they misunderstand or over-simplify. I got an email from a parent a few years ago telling me how her daughter hated disappointing him and that she had a lot of respect for him. I wish I could show it to you. I also wish that you could talk to your grand-daughter 10 years from now. Just as I have changed my mind about some "crabby old teachers" I had, I think you'd hear a different view from her as well. I lost my sister at age 9 and my father less than one year later. I resented a lot of things and people for a long time. I guess it brought me some kind of comfort. If it comforts you to dislike him, then go ahead. But I swear to you he loved her, believed in her and just did what HE thought would work to motivate her. Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want to be loved, does not mean they are not loving you with all they have. May God bless you and yours.

Oh! how I wish I could talk to her 10 years from now....The coach knows he did not treat her fairly. How many of the other players did he humilate by demanding the point guard tell him in front of the whole team whom she had rather play with? My granddaughter or another named player. How many others did he tell they were losers and their parents were losers, and their whole family were losers. How many others did he tell in front of the whole team that they were the only senior he ever had that was the 13th player on the team and sat her on the bench almost all of a game without telling her why except that she was not a ballplayer and would never be. This was the straw that broke her will to play. Then after her death, her name has ever been trashed in practice. Now can you see why there is bitterness in this family ? She respected him until her final year. I do not care if he was only trying to make her a better player, there are better ways of doing it. This is my final post and I think its time to drop it as it only serves to hurt this family. Can he say she ever treated him with anything but respect. Can he say that her family ever interfeared with the way he treated her? No, but that is one regret that we have. And yes, he did tell her she was nothing but s--t and she and her whole family were sorry.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(larrybird @ Jan 21 2007 - 10:41 PM) 826340592[/snapback]

Mallory is playing on a higher level now. Her former coach is still trying to make the team. Not looking too good for him right now.

Life isnt fair. But final judgment is.

Excuse me? You are NOT Jesus! I am telling you the man was misunderstood and misquoted. I don't have to ask anyone...I believe in him! Ballfanwm and I have some things in common...we are both hurt, we both loved Mal (although I realize my love does not come close to that of a grandfather) and we are both finished with this messaging. You, larrybird, take the cake playing judge and Jesus. Since you are so quick to point to judgment, why don't you read up about the cost of judging OTHERS?

Thank you, coacht for allowing me to speak my peace. I am afraid, however, that it has done no good. I appreciate the opportunity regardless.

ma'am, I do not pretend to judge anyone. I just happen to believe that the young lady is in heaven.

We mortals still on this earth havent been judged yet.

And we could all stand some improvement. All of us. So perhaps a little less "defense" and a little more "compassion" for all involved is in order. Me included.

Good day, and good luck.

QUOTE(larrybird @ Jan 22 2007 - 03:54 PM) 826341358[/snapback]

ma'am, I do not pretend to judge anyone. I just happen to believe that the young lady is in heaven.

We mortals still on this earth havent been judged yet.

And we could all stand some improvement. All of us. So perhaps a little less "defense" and a little more "compassion" for all involved is in order. Me included.

Good day, and good luck.

I didn't intend to ever post a message again and after this I won't log back on so don't waste your finger muscles replying...but YES YOU DID JUDGE! I believe Mallory is in heaven too, along with my sister, my father, my in-laws, Daniel Chapman and a host of other loved ones. But THAT is beside the point...I take issue with your saying that things weren't looking good for the coach! That sir, is a judgment! NO, you didn't pretend to judge him...YOU DID judge him. It is in black and white in your original message.

I feel badly about what some people THINK he said. I have been misquoted before and so has anyone in the educational profession. If I thought he was capable of saying some of those things, I would not be in love with him and would not be loyal to him. I know his heart. I know his soul. YOU don't. And don't you dare preach to me about compassion. I am all about compassion!!! Perhaps you did not mean what you typed about him the way it looked...either way, because I am a compassionate person, I wish you well. Good bye all.