Tri-County Seven - Week of 14 January, 2007

krichunaka

The exact score was Cloudland 43 - - Unaka 37.

The Lady Highlanders, after trailing 21-14 at halftime (8-11 after one), outscored Unaka 15-7 in the third. Key Charge call against Brittany Scott as she hit a turnaround banker with 1:01 remaining. Scott had scored to put Unaka up 28-27 at 1:28 in the third, right after Santana Clawson (Coach Birchfield affectionally calls her his "Kenneth Killer) hit one of her two, back-breaking threes at 1:44 to put Cloudland up 27-26. At the other end, Cloudland missed with :03 remaining, but ball was called out of bounds by Unaka. Shelly McKinney hit a banker at the buzzer and Coudland re-took the lead by one, 29-28.

Unaka's Interior Defense was tremendous. Cloudland's post players combined for twelve points, to include the final two free-throws by Mathies, who had 4; Tolley and McKinney also had 4 each. Johnson had 18; Sydnie Buchanan 4; Clawson 9.

Brooke Johnson went twelve of twelve at the free-throw line; Cloudland went 15 of 16. Unaka hit 7 of 13 at the line, but only 1 of 6 (missed a pair, and a couple front enders in the fourth).

Talked with several knowledgeable Lady 'Landers fans after the game. The usual theme: "We played awful." Truth be known, Unaka is a pretty good ball club. The Lady Rangers out-quicked Cloudland down low.

*I often mistake Sydnie Buchanan and Jordi Miller; Miller might have had two. If so, please forgive me, Jordi.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(THE KING @ Jan 17 2007 - 06:31 AM) 826334644[/snapback]

Cloudland didn't even play close to their potential. This game should have been won by 25 points. I guarantee when they go to Snavely gym, it will be different. Cloudland is now in complete charge of the region.

I would think a home win by 6-7 doesn't equate to a BIG win at Snavely??

Fan, I agree. SG seems to be the team this season. Still no killer instinct and a lack of 'court savy' for the Cyclones. Good to see Marti let it fly from outside. Just maybe the best outside touch on the team. Just needs a few more of those looks per game.

Glee, the sun was shining on Unaka and the moon was only half full for Cloudland. They'll watch the film and counter Unaka's enthusiastic defense and beat them soundly at Snavely. It happened before in 2002 when they played us close at home and then we destroyed them at their place. If we take care of business with NG and Hampton at home, then the Rangers will be nothing more than a pebble in the road on the way to another championship. Whoo!!

P.S. I have a feeling someone is returning to coacht!

QUOTE(THE KING @ Jan 17 2007 - 09:56 AM) 826334772[/snapback]

Glee, the sun was shining on Unaka and the moon was only half full for Cloudland. They'll watch the film and counter Unaka's enthusiastic defense and beat them soundly at Snavely. It happened before in 2002 when they played us close at home and then we destroyed them at their place. If we take care of business with NG and Hampton at home, then the Rangers will be nothing more than a pebble in the road on the way to another championship. Whoo!!

P.S. I have a feeling someone is returning to coacht!

Yes, you are funny. In actuality, Unaka should've won the game. The Lady Rangers shut down the Lady Highlanders, only to have the Kenneth Killer thrust her deadly dagger. A number of things went the Lady Highlanders way for them to finally secure victory. Oh, and the Lady Rangers also watch film. They'll see where they let it slip away, and do as they've been doing all season long; they'll Get Better.

And, once again, I didn't get to speak with THE KING. What's that all about? And NO, I was not in the little boys room this time.

QUOTE(krichunaka @ Jan 17 2007 - 03:00 PM) 826335194[/snapback]

Yes, you are funny. In actuality, Unaka should've won the game. The Lady Rangers shut down the Lady Highlanders, only to have the Kenneth Killer thrust her deadly dagger. A number of things went the Lady Highlanders way for them to finally secure victory. Oh, and the Lady Rangers also watch film. They'll see where they let it slip away, and do as they've been doing all season long; they'll Get Better.

And, once again, I didn't get to speak with THE KING. What's that all about? And NO, I was not in the little boys room this time.

I agree, Lady Rangers' defense shut down Lady Highlanders and some "bad-timing" calls went in Lady Highlanders favor. Lady Rangers may be young but they are improving every game. Go Rangers!

That is a significant win against a good AAA team on their home floor. I hope that carries over to Friday. The Cyclones need to let South Greene know they are not ready to relinquish their hold on District 1 just yet. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

Ps.

I was one of the 3% of fans who picked Elizabethton in the Big Ones contest. I believe!

24-19 Science Hill at the half. EHS came out and played the best second half these eyes have seen in quite some time. Final was 51-36. Outstanding ball movement and shooting. Yes, shooting. And holding the Hill to 12 points in the second half tells you they played D. Outstanding teamwork Girls. And great job Coaches. And the Cyclone fans may have outnumbered the Hill fans for the girls contest. And we were definitely louder!!

Voice:

Those seniors collectively played their best game tonight. I hope it is the shadow of things to come.........

Krich, Unaka's girls played a very hard, near perfect game and still came up short. The Lady Landers didn't even play half as capable as they are playing. Nine out of ten times, the score would be lopsided. The region belongs to the Lady Landers. I have a gut feeling, they will be the number one seed come district and regionals. They'll have their game faces on when they come to Snavely, but first they have to take care of some aggravating fleas (namely Hampton and NG) first.

Trully outstanding job by a very patient Cyclone basketball team. SH hit the outside shots in the first half to maintain a lead, thus allowing them to stay in thier zone in which they recover well to adjust to passing. Quick team, but a deliberate Cyclone team stayed close in the first half and changed the game quickly to open the second. Gaining the lead quickly in the second half, Weems chose to hold the ball outside to force the HillToppers out of thier zone. Great coaching call and excellant execution by the team on the floor. This took SH completely out of their game and into ours. Great job and really good to see them take the open looks outside. They need that to go along with the strong inside game. Good 'D' along with a solid half-court 'O'. Outstanding effort.

Without a doubt, the best half of girls HS basketball I have seen played in a few years by any team. Now to just maintain that style of play because this is the team we all thought they could be

Congratulations to Elizabethton. Not a bad time to be playing good ball. And Friday, the Lady Cyclones can take back control of the Watauga Conference.

King, Congratulations on your hard-fought victory. Unaka played a decent game, but certainly nothing approaching near-perfect. A couple crucial turnovers and a few poorly timed calls went against Unaka, but nobody on Stoney Creek is complaining. The Lady Rangers are learning, improving with each practice and game.

Someone even posted on coacht that the Lady Rangers would be handled in the paint. Instead, the Lady Rangers made a Defensive statement in Roan Mountain. They're speed, quickness and athletic ability were impressive. And they're getting better.