Best boys JV team wautauga conference

Greenville fan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(utvols1 @ Jan 25 2007 - 10:52 AM) 826345304[/snapback]

Watch for the SG program to get stronger over the next 2-3 years...they are weak as can be this year, but have some great athletes on the rise!

I definitely agree with you...they have very talented players on the JV team. The only thing holding the JV back this year is the lack of depth. Their point guard Cory Brown, is very good. Also, Stephan van der Merwe, a guard is an incredible athlete & can do alot of things with the ball. Also, they have Thom Mather, who is a sophomore standing 6'5", who can shoot the ball from almost anywhere on the court. These few guys, who are already on the Varsity as sophomores will all be dominating the conference next year. South Greene will continue to get better over the next year or 2. Watch & wait!

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(52fan52 @ Jan 25 2007 - 10:54 AM) 826345208[/snapback]

unicoi is now 11-3 and 6-2 in conference. both losses have been to the actual best jv team in the conference, johnson county. exciting game on tuesday with johnson county hitting a three with 2 seconds left to win by 1 and complete the sweep of unicoi. best of luck to both teams.

hey...unicoi's jv got beat the other night South Greene...of course the South Greene varsity was also beat like crazy. But i stick to my guns about south greene...they are gonna be the real deal over the next 2 years!

QUOTE(Rebel_42 @ Feb 11 2007 - 03:25 PM) 826367402[/snapback]

hey...unicoi's jv got beat the other night South Greene...of course the South Greene varsity was also beat like crazy. But i stick to my guns about south greene...they are gonna be the real deal over the next 2 years!

South Greene played a very good game the other night. unicoi is now 11-3 in conference and 16-4 overall. unicoi has one game left with cloudland.

QUOTE(Rebel_42 @ Jan 28 2007 - 02:17 PM) 826349245[/snapback]

I definitely agree with you...they have very talented players on the JV team. The only thing holding the JV back this year is the lack of depth. Their point guard Cory Brown, is very good. Also, Stephan van der Merwe, a guard is an incredible athlete & can do alot of things with the ball. Also, they have Thom Mather, who is a sophomore standing 6'5", who can shoot the ball from almost anywhere on the court. These few guys, who are already on the Varsity as sophomores will all be dominating the conference next year. South Greene will continue to get better over the next year or 2. Watch & wait!

I agree with most of this post, except about Thom Mather...from what i have seen of him he is average, nothing special except the height he will bring to the team. He needs to work on his coordination and the ability to move with ball to be succesfull on the varsity level. SG boys will get better over the next few years especially with the 8th graders that will be coming up next year. Although most of them are guard, SG basketball is all about shooting the jumpshots anyway. They havent had a real powerhouse down low since the days when Phillip Waddell played for them. They have 8-10 good players coming up from both Nolachucky and Towering Oaks next year. It will be interesting to see how they do. Good luck to them and to the rest of Greene County Basketball...

QUOTE(utvols1 @ Feb 11 2007 - 05:37 PM) 826367577[/snapback]

I agree with most of this post, except about Thom Mather...from what i have seen of him he is average, nothing special except the height he will bring to the team. He needs to work on his coordination and the ability to move with ball to be succesfull on the varsity level. SG boys will get better over the next few years especially with the 8th graders that will be coming up next year. Although most of them are guard, SG basketball is all about shooting the jumpshots anyway. They havent had a real powerhouse down low since the days when Phillip Waddell played for them. They have 8-10 good players coming up from both Nolachucky and Towering Oaks next year. It will be interesting to see how they do. Good luck to them and to the rest of Greene County Basketball...

Speaking of the Freshman classes coming up next year, the SG/WG freshman and jv game should be fun to watch next year.

QUOTE(utvols1 @ Feb 11 2007 - 05:37 PM) 826367577[/snapback]

i definitely see your point about mather. he needs to bulk up & get much faster. that is actually what the coaches are going to be working on him with during the offseason. im just looking forward to seeing this team next year!