What happen to jackson county last night

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes a special type person to do any kind of officiating. It is no doubt one of the most unrewarding jobs a person could have. If you have never donned the stripes then you have no clue just how tough it is to be an official. If a team loses the game who you gonna blame. Why ole no good so and so the sorry ref. I often wonder why people abuse themselves and put themselves in those type situations. But the ones that do know the deal before hand that being an official can make a bunch of enemies real quick. The main thing to know is ...your not going to make everyone happy so don't try.. call em like you see em and let the chips fall. It also pays to have thick skin b/c if you don't you will be run out of the gym.

In regards to this situation I know the players involved but don't know any facts about the situation. I do however think it's a shame that people are calling people out on this forum and running down good people. I know the man personally as do most of you and I think there's no way he would deliberately call against a team or coach. No one's perfect. I have seen games that have gotten way out of hand b/c the ref didn't have control of the game . That's when it gets ugly. Maybe the ref in this case wasn't going to let the coaches or players take over. Maybe he was a little quick on the trigger but the coaches should know that nothing will be tolerated while he is officiating. If they don't they will in the future.

One of the most popular ref's of all time from the upper cumberlands is none other than Paul "MOE" Copley. I believe he is still active. I know he was last year. I have heard people scream and hollar at him for nearly 30 yrs and he just keep's on like nobody's business. He has to have skin as thick as leather b/c he wouldn't have lasted as long as he has.I am sure that any coach that has coached in the last 40 years knows Paul. And they know what he will tolerate and what he won't. I believe every coach should know the ref's and just how far they can push. It might have changed the outcome of this situation who knows.

QUOTE(Rocking Chair @ Jan 19 2007 - 03:50 PM) 826337999[/snapback]

It takes a special type person to do any kind of officiating. It is no doubt one of the most unrewarding jobs a person could have. If you have never donned the stripes then you have no clue just how tough it is to be an official. If a team loses the game who you gonna blame. Why ole no good so and so the sorry ref. I often wonder why people abuse themselves and put themselves in those type situations. But the ones that do know the deal before hand that being an official can make a bunch of enemies real quick. The main thing to know is ...your not going to make everyone happy so don't try.. call em like you see em and let the chips fall. It also pays to have thick skin b/c if you don't you will be run out of the gym.

In regards to this situation I know the players involved but don't know any facts about the situation. I do however think it's a shame that people are calling people out on this forum and running down good people. I know the man personally as do most of you and I think there's no way he would deliberately call against a team or coach. No one's perfect. I have seen games that have gotten way out of hand b/c the ref didn't have control of the game . That's when it gets ugly. Maybe the ref in this case wasn't going to let the coaches or players take over. Maybe he was a little quick on the trigger but the coaches should know that nothing will be tolerated while he is officiating. If they don't they will in the future.

One of the most popular ref's of all time from the upper cumberlands is none other than Paul "MOE" Copley. I believe he is still active. I know he was last year. I have heard people scream and hollar at him for nearly 30 yrs and he just keep's on like nobody's business. He has to have skin as thick as leather b/c he wouldn't have lasted as long as he has.I am sure that any coach that has coached in the last 40 years knows Paul. And they know what he will tolerate and what he won't. I believe every coach should know the ref's and just how far they can push. It might have changed the outcome of this situation who knows.

You mean Moe is still calling,he is one of the best to ever call a game,like you said he has to be thick skinned.

QUOTE(muffin @ Jan 19 2007 - 04:54 PM) 826338053[/snapback]

You mean Moe is still calling,he is one of the best to ever call a game,like you said he has to be thick skinned.

I saw LA play YAI last year and he called the game. He hasn't changed much. Maybe since he's from up on the mountain they let him ref ever now and then. Yes he is a good one. He really knows how to work a crowd. I guess you could say he would be considered more of an entertainer than a ref.

To change the subject a bit. Leon Watson used to ump softball over in Celina yrs. ago and he was much like how Moe is in basketball. Everybody knows them and they can really put on a show and keep the crowd in the game at all times. If you have never witnessed a softball game umpired by Leon then you missed it big time. He always called the balls and strikes behind the plate and some of his famous sayings were.....strike 1 on you big man on the corner...and the one that brought a roar from the crowd was ....man that wouldn't swing at that wouldn't swing at nothing strike 2 big man.

Yes those were the good old days as they say. Seems like the world has gotten it self all up in a big hurry and the game don't seem to be as much fun to play or watch anymore.