WB vs Lenoir City freshmen

boo71

The Lenoir City freshmen prove again it isn't about size it's about heart and alot of hard work. Ballard was healthy this time around, but Ballard is one person and one person doesn't makeup a team. If Lenoir City had any dought about loosing that game they would have asked Hood to play with them since he is a freshmen but they knew they could take care of business on their own even with a healthy Ballard. It will be interesting to watch these two teams over the next 3 years.

I hope this proves to alot of people that the Lenoir City freshmen team is not full of themselves, they don't think they are "THE BEST" they just really HATE to lose and they proved that last night with a come from behing win 50-47. WB looked alittle disappointed last night when #45 showed up I guess they thought if they changed the game time they would have a better chance of winning.

One last thing please tell WB's coach not to EVER yell at a grandmother in the stands again. It's rude. First of all he should keep his comments to himself and his team and not invole the fans (it's just asking for trouble). Second, if he does yell at a fan at least make sure it's a man NOT a woman and especially not a grandmother, it's just RUDE and not right!

First, I would like to say that I was at the game last night and yes the Lenoir City kids played their hearts out and overcame a 7-8 pt. deficit in the last 2 and a half minutes to win the game, but the fact that you and some other people (Jesusislord) are pumping these kids like they are the greatest thing since sliced bread is ridicuolous (Yes, they are good!). Second, the William Blount kids could have cared less if the Titlow kid showed up or not! The game time was not changed and it was on the schedule at 6 p.m. and was confirmed earlier that day by the coaches who called Tony Williams. So, if the Titlow kid was late that was their fault. In fact, I don't think WB would have been happy if he would not have showed up to the game at all and they had won. Third, all I have heard about from you and others is that the Hood kid is great. I think the WB Freshmen team would have loved to played LC with that kid as well. Remember, there are only so many shots to go around and he would have taken shots away from other kids. Furthermore, there were several Freshmen for WB that chose not to play this year either due to injury or commitments to playing other sports. So, we could play the "what if" game all day long if you want to. I have seen him play and he is not that good. He is tall, but do not mistake tall as having any skills. Tall does not equal good. Give me some hard stats that prove he is a truly good ball player and not just inflated stats against second tier competition. Give me stats on how he has perfromed against the teams in his district/region. I would venture to say that they are not that good (probably really bad stacked up against the minutes he plays). Fourth, Micah Ballard proved last night that he was the most "COMPLETE" basketball player on the court. If you dispute that, then you do not know a whole lot about basketball. Fifth, as far as the yelling at the "grandmother" incident during the game, Coach Balcom was just responding to a ridiculous comment that was made in the stands about "this is not basketball" because he was running 4 Corners to slow the game down. I am sure he had no idea who said it and was responding to a "dumb" comment (sorry if this offends anyone). I'm sure Coach Balcom really thought he was responding to a "grandmother" in the stands. Was he suppossed to stop and ask if she was a "grandmother?" Sixth, if you are a fan at a basketball game and you make repeatedly dumb comments throughout the game, then expect to get called out on them (no disrespect intended). Otherwise, yell about what you actually know about (make sense?). Lastly, yes watching these two teams over the next few years will be really fun, but mark my words now and that is if the LC kids do not grow physically over the next few years they will not fair as well as they have as Freshmen. I say this because all you have to do is look around the state and name me one team that is dominated by kids under 6 feet that performs consistently at a high level. Answer - None!

QUOTE(boo71 @ Jan 23 2007 - 09:03 AM) 826342087[/snapback]

The Lenoir City freshmen prove again it isn't about size it's about heart and alot of hard work. Ballard was healthy this time around, but Ballard is one person and one person doesn't makeup a team. If Lenoir City had any dought about loosing that game they would have asked Hood to play with them since he is a freshmen but they knew they could take care of business on their own even with a healthy Ballard. It will be interesting to watch these two teams over the next 3 years.

I hope this proves to alot of people that the Lenoir City freshmen team is not full of themselves, they don't think they are "THE BEST" they just really HATE to lose and they proved that last night with a come from behing win 50-47. WB looked alittle disappointed last night when #45 showed up I guess they thought if they changed the game time they would have a better chance of winning.

One last thing please tell WB's coach not to EVER yell at a grandmother in the stands again. It's rude. First of all he should keep his comments to himself and his team and not invole the fans (it's just asking for trouble). Second, if he does yell at a fan at least make sure it's a man NOT a woman and especially not a grandmother, it's just RUDE and not right!

QUOTE(I'vegotskills @ Jan 23 2007 - 02:31 PM) 826342536[/snapback]

First, I would like to say that I was at the game last night and yes the Lenoir City kids played their hearts out and overcame a 7-8 pt. deficit in the last 2 and a half minutes to win the game, but the fact that you and some other people (Jesusislord) are pumping these kids like they are the greatest thing since sliced bread is ridicuolous (Yes, they are good!). Second, the William Blount kids could have cared less if the Titlow kid showed up or not! The game time was not changed and it was on the schedule at 6 p.m. and was confirmed earlier that day by the coaches who called Tony Williams. So, if the Titlow kid was late that was their fault. In fact, I don't think WB would have been happy if he would not have showed up to the game at all and they had won. Third, all I have heard about from you and others is that the Hood kid is great. I think the WB Freshmen team would have loved to played LC with that kid as well. Remember, there are only so many shots to go around and he would have taken shots away from other kids. Furthermore, there were several Freshmen for WB that chose not to play this year either due to injury or commitments to playing other sports. So, we could play the "what if" game all day long if you want to. I have seen him play and he is not that good. He is tall, but do not mistake tall as having any skills. Tall does not equal good. Give me some hard stats that prove he is a truly good ball player and not just inflated stats against second tier competition. Give me stats on how he has perfromed against the teams in his district/region. I would venture to say that they are not that good (probably really bad stacked up against the minutes he plays). Fourth, Micah Ballard proved last night that he was the most "COMPLETE" basketball player on the court. If you dispute that, then you do not know a whole lot about basketball. Fifth, as far as the yelling at the "grandmother" incident during the game, Coach Balcom was just responding to a ridiculous comment that was made in the stands about "this is not basketball" because he was running 4 Corners to slow the game down. I am sure he had no idea who said it and was responding to a "dumb" comment (sorry if this offends anyone). I'm sure Coach Balcom really thought he was responding to a "grandmother" in the stands. Was he suppossed to stop and ask if she was a "grandmother?" Sixth, if you are a fan at a basketball game and you make repeatedly dumb comments throughout the game, then expect to get called out on them (no disrespect intended). Otherwise, yell about what you actually know about (make sense?). Lastly, yes watching these two teams over the next few years will be really fun, but mark my words now and that is if the LC kids do not grow physically over the next few years they will not fair as well as they have as Freshmen. I say this because all you have to do is look around the state and name me one team that is dominated by kids under 6 feet that performs consistently at a high level. Answer - None!

I don't think anyone is "pumping" these kids. Most of us are simply proud of the Lenoir City freshmen team (11-1). We are excited about the direction the program is going. If these kids didn't win another game this season we would still be proud of them, not because of the way they play basketball but because they are REALLY great kids- all of them. What I don't understand is if someone from Lenoir City is proud of their TEAM it's wrong, but WB fans can write on here about Ballard all day (Govman) and it's ok. At least we lift up the entire team and don't singal out one player. Even the comment about Hood wasn't made just about Hood it was made as a team comment. They are alot stronger with him, he does make a difference. Unlike, WB when we play without a player we do not make excuses (Ballard was sick). We take responsability as a team. As far as the coach yelling at the fan anyone with basketball experience knows that's asking for trouble. What if a ref responded to the crowd or if every coach yelled at fans like he did. Whether it be a ref or a coach you can't allow yourself to be drawn into that type of behavior. As far as the Lenoir City freshmen teams future I think it looks very bright. You are right they don't have a lot of size but some of them aren't even 15 yet, we don't know what kind of size they are going to have their junior and senior years and they will also have the upcoming Junior and Senoir class to help balance things out. The freshmen team alone can't do it but that's where that "team" thing comes in again. Robinson, Ault, and Bivens all have size combined with Hood, Titlow and Thomas I think Lenoir City will be a contender in the near future. Just my opinion but that's the great thing about coacht everyone has one and gets to voice it.

QUOTE(dream n it @ Jan 23 2007 - 07:54 PM) 826342909[/snapback]

I don't think anyone is "pumping" these kids. Most of us are simply proud of the Lenoir City freshmen team (11-1). We are excited about the direction the program is going. If these kids didn't win another game this season we would still be proud of them, not because of the way they play basketball but because they are REALLY great kids- all of them. What I don't understand is if someone from Lenoir City is proud of their TEAM it's wrong, but WB fans can write on here about Ballard all day (Govman) and it's ok. At least we lift up the entire team and don't singal out one player. Even the comment about Hood wasn't made just about Hood it was made as a team comment. They are alot stronger with him, he does make a difference. Unlike, WB when we play without a player we do not make excuses (Ballard was sick). We take responsability as a team. As far as the coach yelling at the fan anyone with basketball experience knows that's asking for trouble. What if a ref responded to the crowd or if every coach yelled at fans like he did. Whether it be a ref or a coach you can't allow yourself to be drawn into that type of behavior. As far as the Lenoir City freshmen teams future I think it looks very bright. You are right they don't have a lot of size but some of them aren't even 15 yet, we don't know what kind of size they are going to have their junior and senior years and they will also have the upcoming Junior and Senoir class to help balance things out. The freshmen team alone can't do it but that's where that "team" thing comes in again. Robinson, Ault, and Bivens all have size combined with Hood, Titlow and Thomas I think Lenoir City will be a contender in the near future. Just my opinion but that's the great thing about coacht everyone has one and gets to voice it.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO SINGLE ME OUT! When have I ever said it was wrong for you all to be proud of your team. I've been nothing but complimentary about your team. Great group of kids who play hard and have lots of talent.

It was someone from LC who said you had "3 or 4" freshmen better than Ballard (which I will say is not true). I never made any "excuses" about the first game either. I just knew that when Micah was 100%, our team would compete a lot better with your team. I believe that was proven. And the comment about just singling out one player ... well, I'm pretty proud of the whole WB team. One of them happens to be my son, the rest are all guys I've coached. They outplayed L.C.'s freshmen, but couldn't finish. Credit the LC boys for that. They're tough.

And just for the record ... Coach Balcomb did not "yell" at anyone. He responded to some lady who kept screaming all night at him and our team (which he shouldn't have done) but he did not yell at her.

I strongly agree that Lenoir City will be a contender in the future. Lots of young talent and I believe they can build a great team around "Hood." By the way ... does he live in the Lenoir City school zone?

He is tall, but do not mistake tall as having any skills. Tall does not equal good. Give me some hard stats that prove he is a truly good ball player and not just inflated stats against second tier competition. Give me stats on how he has perfromed against the teams in his district/region. I would venture to say that they are not that good (probably really bad stacked up against the minutes he plays).

Tyler had 12pts 7rbs and 4 blocks against WB's Varsity last night.

He is averaging 8 pts 6 rbs and 2.8 blks a game while shooting 50% from the floor and 75% from the line.

I would also like to add that I thought Micah Ballard played exceptionally well last night and I think that he is a great player and will be fun to coach against the next three years. Hood and Ballard are both great kids and will deserve anything that they and their respective teams accomplish.

QUOTE(coachinhoops @ Jan 24 2007 - 09:31 AM) 826343672[/snapback]

He is tall, but do not mistake tall as having any skills. Tall does not equal good. Give me some hard stats that prove he is a truly good ball player and not just inflated stats against second tier competition. Give me stats on how he has perfromed against the teams in his district/region. I would venture to say that they are not that good (probably really bad stacked up against the minutes he plays).

Tyler had 12pts 7rbs and 4 blocks against WB's Varsity last night.

He is averaging 8 pts 6 rbs and 2.8 blks a game while shooting 50% from the floor and 75% from the line.

I would also like to add that I thought Micah Ballard played exceptionally well last night and I think that he is a great player and will be fun to coach against the next three years. Hood and Ballard are both great kids and will deserve anything that they and their respective teams accomplish.

He also had a dunk (not a tear the rim down, but it was a dunk) and for a freshmen that is impressive. I'm sure he's had some growing pains, playing varsity as a freshman ... so has Micah. But you're right, they are both extremely gifted and deserve everything they get.

Coach, I think you've got a couple more real good post players on the freshmen team (not to mention all the other talent). It would be wrong to say that you're going to be "small" in the next three years ... you are not.

I wasn't trying to "stir up" things by asking where Tyler lived ... i knew that he went to Cherokee last year and I just wondered. I hoped maybe he had moved real close to the Loudon County/Blount County line and that maybe Blount was going to annex his house.

QUOTE(GovMan @ Jan 24 2007 - 09:12 AM) 826343644[/snapback]

WHY DO YOU WANT TO SINGLE ME OUT! When have I ever said it was wrong for you all to be proud of your team. I've been nothing but complimentary about your team. Great group of kids who play hard and have lots of talent.

It was someone from LC who said you had "3 or 4" freshmen better than Ballard (which I will say is not true). I never made any "excuses" about the first game either. I just knew that when Micah was 100%, our team would compete a lot better with your team. I believe that was proven. And the comment about just singling out one player ... well, I'm pretty proud of the whole WB team. One of them happens to be my son, the rest are all guys I've coached. They outplayed L.C.'s freshmen, but couldn't finish. Credit the LC boys for that. They're tough.

And just for the record ... Coach Balcomb did not "yell" at anyone. He responded to some lady who kept screaming all night at him and our team (which he shouldn't have done) but he did not yell at her.

I strongly agree that Lenoir City will be a contender in the future. Lots of young talent and I believe they can build a great team around "Hood." By the way ... does he live in the Lenoir City school zone?

Yes you do speak highly of our team and I thank you for that. I don't thinkyou were being singled out in a negative way. It was said you can write about Ballard and nothings said we talk about our freshmen team and it's like we are trying to make them out to be the next Michael Jordan. We are simply proud of them I think any fan would be.

I agree that Hood and Ballard are good players but I still say you can't single out one single player. Hood doesn't win the games for LC just like Ballard doesn't win the games for WB. The team wins the game and when you start singling out one player it weighs on the team.

I don't think anyone really singles out Chris Lofton for UT but I think everyone on the team knows who their All American is. With the LC freshmen I have noticed how much the other freshmen look at Tyer with extreme respect. Every freshmen game they are wondering if he gets to play and having him there gives them more confidence than usual. Also not having him to lean on makes all them stronger and requires someone else to step up. In fact this freshmen season, LC has had at least 5 different leading scorers, and in most cases they are pretty balanced

In my last post I was not trying to single anyone out from last night's game especially not from Lenoir City. Someone asked for some cold hard stats, so I gave them stats. Ballard and Hood do not make a team, but they as well as some others make their team's better.

QUOTE(coachinhoops @ Jan 24 2007 - 12:40 PM) 826344024[/snapback]

I don't think anyone really singles out Chris Lofton for UT but I think everyone on the team knows who their All American is. With the LC freshmen I have noticed how much the other freshmen look at Tyer with extreme respect. Every freshmen game they are wondering if he gets to play and having him there gives them more confidence than usual. Also not having him to lean on makes all them stronger and requires someone else to step up. In fact this freshmen season, LC has had at least 5 different leading scorers, and in most cases they are pretty balanced

In my last post I was not trying to single anyone out from last night's game especially not from Lenoir City. Someone asked for some cold hard stats, so I gave them stats. Ballard and Hood do not make a team, but they as well as some others make their team's better.

Prime example as to why you shouldn't single out a player. Lofton has struggled the last 2-3 games and now he's out with an ankle injury. Do you not think the team will struggle knowing their "All American" is out? Sure they will. You can't put so much emphasis on one player if you do the team gets the message they can't do it with out that certain player.

I'm not accusing anyone of singling out players, but from someone on the outside looking in there is alot of talk about certain players. Like I said before it can weigh on a team. Just my opinion you don't have to agree.

QUOTE(coachinhoops @ Jan 24 2007 - 03:25 PM) 826344259[/snapback]

I completely agree. That is why we try to place emphasis in the team. Our guys all know how important each individual is, and the most important part to any team is to provide rolls and get each individual to understand their roll and how they can positively contribute to the success of the whole not just the one...

Good post. Good luck to you and your team. I've been told you have a very hard working team, gym rats if you will. Hard work pays off it always does. LC will be successful. Keep up the good work!