Why do coaches do some things they do?

jrdcfan

QUOTE(NeWbLuE @ Jan 25 2007 - 06:32 PM) 826345986[/snapback]

If (and it sounds like it is)its customary at that school for the 2nd string to play only the last few minutes of the game no matter if winning or loosing by a lot, then I don't think I would complain. Because if it was my daughter that was a starter that means she has earned the right to play as long as the coach sees fit. And when the other girls have worked on their game and improved enough to be a starter then and only then do they deserve all the playing time the coach sees fit. I have heard enough about poor pitiful whoever that don't play enough....how many hours has your daughter spent outside of practice to get better?...does she love the game?... have you worked with her to make her a better player. When and if that happens then god willing, you will have a starter on your hands and can quit complaining.

And this is an opinion of a Father who has a daughter(soph) who plays and sits on the bench most of the time.

For your information I don't have a daughter in this race. I am just a fan that sits in the stands and supports this team. Win or lose, but I see alot of unfairness to those few that are sitting out. Again my opinion you could take anyone of these girls on this team mix and match and not see a difference in the game this year. But I feel if they get more experience with some of the other girls they would prove to be as good as the few freshman that are getting more playing time and make a difference in the years to come. But I feel they all need a chance to prove themselves. They have talent that is being wasted. No they are not perfect by any means, but are good kids who work and practice hard and have a very close relationship for the most part. I am sure they would do more if they were given the chance. I would like to see these girls stay together, play hard and have a great team in a couple of years. I have even heard the parents of the freshman that are starting, yes starting and playing more complain more than those parents of the kids that are sitting out. They need to be worked with and talked to when they are playing just like the others. As far as loving the game they would have to after what I have seen them go through. But sometimes loving the game might not be enough. These girls are very talanted in many areas. Extra hours yes I have seen some of them do this too. As far as the parents working with them I am not sure but would think some of them do. Just a fan that would like to see them have a great winning team and use the talent they have.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jrdcfan @ Jan 26 2007 - 12:45 PM) 826347022[/snapback]

For your information I don't have a daughter in this race. I am just a fan that sits in the stands and supports this team. Win or lose, but I see alot of unfairness to those few that are sitting out. Again my opinion you could take anyone of these girls on this team mix and match and not see a difference in the game this year. But I feel if they get more experience with some of the other girls they would prove to be as good as the few freshman that are getting more playing time and make a difference in the years to come. But I feel they all need a chance to prove themselves. They have talent that is being wasted. No they are not perfect by any means, but are good kids who work and practice hard and have a very close relationship for the most part. I am sure they would do more if they were given the chance. I would like to see these girls stay together, play hard and have a great team in a couple of years. I have even heard the parents of the freshman that are starting, yes starting and playing more complain more than those parents of the kids that are sitting out. They need to be worked with and talked to when they are playing just like the others. As far as loving the game they would have to after what I have seen them go through. But sometimes loving the game might not be enough. These girls are very talanted in many areas. Extra hours yes I have seen some of them do this too. As far as the parents working with them I am not sure but would think some of them do. Just a fan that would like to see them have a great winning team and use the talent they have.

Sure sounds more than "just a fan" to be!!?!

QUOTE(jrdcfan @ Jan 26 2007 - 12:45 PM) 826347022[/snapback]

I know and I agree as well, especially the part about how they work hard in practice and have a close relationship with the ohters that are starting.

This is a tough issue, and it is an issue that is as old as organized sports. Who gets the most playing time,( sometimes I wish that there were 7 or 8 players on the floor at a time so more players could have more time). But its only 5.

I didn't mean to come off as "hard" I just know how the System works and pretty much.... the best players play. BUT....it takes the whole group of girls to make a "team" and the first string is only as tough as the 2nd string makes them during practice. They "all" make a difference and deep down they should know that. I hope that the girls on your team have a great JV and freshman schedule so they can improve and be ready for the seasons to come. Peace.

QUOTE(NeWbLuE @ Jan 26 2007 - 01:48 PM) 826347117[/snapback]

I know and I agree as well, especially the part about how they work hard in practice and have a close relationship with the ohters that are starting.

This is a tough issue, and it is an issue that is as old as organized sports. Who gets the most playing time,( sometimes I wish that there were 7 or 8 players on the floor at a time so more players could have more time). But its only 5.

I didn't mean to come off as "hard" I just know how the System works and pretty much.... the best players play. BUT....it takes the whole group of girls to make a "team" and the first string is only as tough as the 2nd string makes them during practice. They "all" make a difference and deep down they should know that. I hope that the girls on your team have a great JV and freshman schedule so they can improve and be ready for the seasons to come. Peace.

I personally think its lack of experience on the coaches part. Its not olny those few freshman, but there is also a senior girl on the team I feel has not been treated fairly also. I know shes not the best but she has some height and not alot of experience. She started a few games and now hardly even gets to play. Don't know if its dew to the way she performs at practice or in the game. I have seen her play as well as any of the others at times, saw times she did'nt block out or rebound but again I see all of them do that. Again, its talent that may have been slighted. But she don't do any worse than the freshman that took her place. They both foul and the freshman may score 1 or 2 points per game sometimes none. So should the senior get the start or he freshman? I'm sure if the senior played as much as the freshman she would score that much too. For instance the senior went in the other night scored 6 points got a couple of rebounds. Played fairly good for the few minutes of playing time she got. Then the coach takes her out puts a freshman out there that was as lost as could be. Even heard the grandfather comment she wouldnt get as much playing time as she does if he coached. Several players that start have some defensive talent but no offense. Some have started pretty much every game never score. In a few games they may score a couple of points. So if there not scoring take a couple out at a time try someone else give them a chance with some of the starters. Even the freshman guard, she is a good player but has had alot of trouble controling the ball. Making several bad passes per game, but will learn to make the right passes with experience. Same for the few freshman we are talking about put them in one at a time not all four or five of them together. They might just show something they have to contribute. I'm not saying they would do better but there is always that chance that they could. But when you put them in for a minute or less they have no chance to show what they have. The 3 that went in for the 25 sec none ever touched the ball. The 2 that had been playing brought the ball down passed to each other and shoot. But I'm sure they enjoyed just getting on the floor. But I know they deserve more than that. You can learn alot just watching and listen. The senior has done her time but some of the freshman play more. And there are others that dont get the time they deserve either.

I personally think its lack of experience on the coaches part. Its not olny those few freshman, but there is also a senior girl on the team I feel has not been treated fairly also. I know shes not the best but she has some height and not alot of experience. She started a few games and now hardly even gets to play. Don't know if its dew to the way she performs at practice or in the game. I have seen her play as well as any of the others at times, saw times she did'nt block out or rebound but again I see all of them do that. Again, its talent that may have been slighted. But she don't do any worse than the freshman that took her place. They both foul and the freshman may score 1 or 2 points per game sometimes none. So should the senior get the start or he freshman? I'm sure if the senior played as much as the freshman she would score that much too. For instance the senior went in the other night scored 6 points got a couple of rebounds. Played fairly good for the few minutes of playing time she got. Then the coach takes her out puts a freshman out there that was as lost as could be. Even heard the grandfather comment she wouldnt get as much playing time as she does if he coached. Several players that start have some defensive talent but no offense. Some have started pretty much every game never score. In a few games they may score a couple of points. So if there not scoring take a couple out at a time try someone else give them a chance with some of the starters. Even the freshman guard, she is a good player but has had alot of trouble controling the ball. Making several bad passes per game, but will learn to make the right passes with experience. Same for the few freshman we are talking about put them in one at a time not all four or five of them together. They might just show something they have to contribute. I'm not saying they would do better but there is always that chance that they could. But when you put them in for a minute or less they have no chance to show what they have. The 3 that went in for the 25 sec none ever touched the ball. The 2 that had been playing brought the ball down passed to each other and shoot. But I'm sure they enjoyed just getting on the floor. But I know they deserve more than that. You can learn alot just watching and listen. The senior has done her time but some of the freshman play more. And there are others that dont get the time they deserve either.

[/quote

Finally, someone feels exactly as I do. I have been at the last few games and has saw things the coach does and it makes no sense. It like she don't care if they win or not, or she is playing politics even though its making her look stupid.Yea, Crystal only got to play a few minutes the other night and everything she shot went in.She was the 2nd highest scorer ,with her very few minutes of glory. The starters are not that good. Such a big deal is being made out of some of these freshman and they can't even score. Crystal is just as good if not better. It only took her a few minutes to score what most of the so-called starters did all night. It just doesn't make a bit of sense. I hope it is not because Crystal was not part of the all famous Saints team. Thats what plays ,Agees team. Politics, lol

Well said............. I have seen this at other schools. I don't even have a daughter or granddaughter playing. I usually catch a little grief from others on my beliefs.

This coach and other coaches do not care about the High School student. Notice I said HS and not college. There is a big difference between high school students and kids on scholarships with coaches that can be fired at any minute. A big difference.

My point is these coaches are so busy playing for the future, they can't enjoy the present. The coach will not allow the high school student to enjoy the present.

Always keep in mind, it is the coach who decides who is on the team, and who remains on the team each year. It is just wrong to leave a senior on a team and not play her. I always say it would be better to cut them once , instead of hurting them each year over and over again.

Before someone out there starts throwing out "the best should play" line, Remember this is high school. Also remember the next time your boss meets with you and says. " __________, we have made a decision to go in another direction, you have alot to offer, but we have another person that will bring something new to the table". In other words, "new " means a younger person than you with less experience but lots of potential. Relate that to a freshman playing in front of an upper classman with the same skills.

Some of these coaches are playing younger players because they have potential, while the other girls who have been committed to the program lose their playing time. Like you said earlier, the outcome of these games is not going to change by playing this freshman.

Freshman and JV ball is where to coach up girls.

Believe me, most of us know when we see a freshman that is a superstar. She should be a major player on your team from the beginning. Enough said, this discussion only makes me mad.. "Coaches are Gods". copyrighted by me.

QUOTE(sumnercountybball @ Jan 27 2007 - 12:23 PM) 826348025[/snapback]

Well said............. I have seen this at other schools. I don't even have a daughter or granddaughter playing. I usually catch a little grief from others on my beliefs.

This coach and other coaches do not care about the High School student. Notice I said HS and not college. There is a big difference between high school students and kids on scholarships with coaches that can be fired at any minute. A big difference.

My point is these coaches are so busy playing for the future, they can't enjoy the present. The coach will not allow the high school student to enjoy the present.

Always keep in mind, it is the coach who decides who is on the team, and who remains on the team each year. It is just wrong to leave a senior on a team and not play her. I always say it would be better to cut them once , instead of hurting them each year over and over again.

Before someone out there starts throwing out "the best should play" line, Remember this is high school. Also remember the next time your boss meets with you and says. " __________, we have made a decision to go in another direction, you have alot to offer, but we have another person that will bring something new to the table". In other words, "new " means a younger person than you with less experience but lots of potential. Relate that to a freshman playing in front of an upper classman with the same skills.

Some of these coaches are playing younger players because they have potential, while the other girls who have been committed to the program lose their playing time. Like you said earlier, the outcome of these games is not going to change by playing this freshman.

Freshman and JV ball is where to coach up girls.

Believe me, most of us know when we see a freshman that is a superstar. She should be a major player on your team from the beginning. Enough said, this discussion only makes me mad.. "Coaches are Gods". copyrighted by me.

Great post !! You made alot of good points. You are right , coaches are God at least some think they are. They can make or break a player, make some superstars, make some feel miserable. The senior we are talking about is good.She is the tallest one on the team and can score. Not many on the team can. Well, I couldn't be a coach. I wouldn't wanna look that stupid by playing favorites. The fans all see what is going on. I do not have a daughter on the team either. Thank goodness!! Lol

My question is: What can you do when you disagree with a coach and their style, philosophy, etc.? Does "venting" on CoachT help? Should you talk to the coach, administrator, etc. There are many people who have issues with coaches (and I don't know what school you are talking about). But, on the other hand, a coach is definitely not going to please everyone. The "subs" are not going to get the playing time they prefer. The starters aren't going to always play the "perfect" game, so what do you do? Is there a solution?

QUOTE(Rup11 @ Jan 28 2007 - 08:26 AM) 826349046[/snapback]

My question is: What can you do when you disagree with a coach and their style, philosophy, etc.? Does "venting" on CoachT help? Should you talk to the coach, administrator, etc. There are many people who have issues with coaches (and I don't know what school you are talking about). But, on the other hand, a coach is definitely not going to please everyone. The "subs" are not going to get the playing time they prefer. The starters aren't going to always play the "perfect" game, so what do you do? Is there a solution?

That is what I was leading to in post # 22 in this thread.

QUOTE(NeWbLuE @ Jan 28 2007 - 11:42 AM) 826349182[/snapback]

That is what I was leading to in post # 22 in this thread.

I think you should do all of the above. Talk to the coach or administrator, but understand this before doing so: 1) You may talk to a principal that hired the coach. Principals can be very sensitive about someone they hired. 2). Talking to the coach may upset the coach. There are risk involved either way you go. Some coaches will not talk to parents. It is best to speak to someone. You may have a coach that just didn't notice what they were doing. Sometimes it may open the coaches eyes to your son or daughter. Atter that you have to make a decision, does your child want to play knowing the coach does not see your child as a player. Some kids enjoy friendships whether they are playing or not. The last choice would be to quit. Life is full of many opportunities. Your child may find something else they enjoy. Remember this, I have found that alot of coaches see you a certain way and changing their perception is difficult. I have seen boys play AAU, spend hours in the gym, attend summer camps, and make huge improvements, yet the coach see them as a practice team player forever.

I have seen this take place over the years numerous times. I believe that if the game is out of reach and there is only a few minutes left, dance with who you brought! It's a slap in the face to put the subs in with a couple of minutes left in the game. At this point in the game, the coach has all but given up. By the beginning of the fourth quarter, both coaches know which way the game is going. If the starters have not gotten the job down in first three quarters, chances are very slim that it will change drastically in the fourth. For the most part, all the bench players need desperatly are minutes on the floor. When more than a couple of minutes are played out by the subs, the players and coaching staff should both benefit. The name of the game is to prove you worth. With a run away game, there lies a great opportunity for the developmental process to begin. Obviously the subs are on the team for some reason. If they are not worthy of a chance when one is available, they shouldn't even dress out. I think this is refered to as the practice squad. I realize that the game revolves around emotions, momentums and hundreds of decisions. If a player is just given some legitmate chances, they could actually bring more to the table than previously realized.