Region X Individual tournament dates

wrestling fan

I just found out that the individual tournament dates have been changed from Friday and Saturday to Thursday and Friday with a start time of 3 pm.

I wonder what the reason is... this makes it difficult for parents and fans who want to be there but may not be able to take off work 2 days in addition to the parents of the wrestlers who do go to the state competition having to take off during the week for that as well.

Does anyone know the reasons for this?

UTC (host of the individual state tournament) has a nationally televised game on what would've been the Saturday of the state tournament. So, the state tournament will be held on a Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday (when the arena is available). It is a little more inconvenient, but the right move in order to give the wrestlers enough time to get their weight down and prepare for the most important tournament of the year.

QUOTE(wrestlemom @ Jan 25 2007 - 12:46 PM) 826345513[/snapback]

TSSAA has a rule that regionals have to be done a certain number of days before the state tournament. Since State has moved up a day, Regions hvae to move up a day.

I could not find that rule, is it in the handbook? If it is, I have not heard anything about any other regional tourny. Shouldn't they all be changed? This seems like something that should be taken care of yesterday or sooner.

QUOTE(wrestlemom @ Jan 25 2007 - 12:46 PM) 826345513[/snapback]

TSSAA has a rule that regionals have to be done a certain number of days before the state tournament. Since State has moved up a day, Regions hvae to move up a day.

They actually don't. I agree it should be a rule, but remember last year's fiasco. The region tournament for our region (Region 10) was held on a Monday and Tuesday due to snow and ice, and school cancellations. The state tournament, however, remained on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

The dates might not be optimal for the fans, but for the athletes it is best for them. They will get the accustomed amount of rest and recovery time as in normal years past prior to the state tournament. Information was sent out to all coaches back in early November about the change to Thursday and Friday and there were no objections by them. The one thing we must always keep in perspective is the what is best for those wrestlers. The state tournament has been moved up a day earlier and so the region coaches agreed to move the region tournament up a day earlier. Unfortunately, sometimes this does not necessarily bode well for the parents and fans.

Coach Delgado,

Thanks for the answer. I do understand that it should be about what is best for the wrestlers. Apparently it is a communication delay from individual coaches... I check websites regularly but as my name suggests, I do not have a wrestler on any team... I am just an avid fan. Love the sport, and I will be there.

QUOTE(chunkypooh @ Jan 27 2007 - 08:24 PM) 826348595[/snapback]

Is it best for them to miss multiple days of school? Is wrestling or academics the emphasis?

Hey chunk, are you really concerned about academic issues, or are you bulding a another conspiracy theory about cheating coaches?

You were warned about getting on jim's hit list