Another poor act of gamemanship

celtic33

I attended the McMinn Central vs. Boyd-Buchanan girls game last night to witness an excellent Central team. less the coach. Central had at least a 30 point lead midway through the 2nd quarter and was still pressing til the half. The score was 48-6 at halftime. This coach continued his pressure the entire game. Although it was halfcourt pressure the second half but they continued to shoot and make three's. The girls from Boyd were beaten by 65 points not to mentioned humiliated and emotionally upset. There is no excuse for a "kick them when their down" mentality from a coach of 28 years and his success. Our coach mentioned that to him after the game and he followed her into the hallway pointing his finger at her and I'm sure telling her what a great man he was. Come to find out last night was his night. McMinn honored JM for his 600th win last Teusday and it was their homecoming. So I guess he had to "showw off" a little. Good luck coach hope you win it all. By the way the last statement on your board of Sportmanship posted on the wall said; "character is more important than winning." Yeah right.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(celtic33 @ Jan 27 2007 - 10:23 AM) 826348026[/snapback]

I attended the McMinn Central vs. Boyd-Buchanan girls game last night to witness an excellent Central team. less the coach. Central had at least a 30 point lead midway through the 2nd quarter and was still pressing til the half. The score was 48-6 at halftime. This coach continued his pressure the entire game. Although it was halfcourt pressure the second half but they continued to shoot and make three's. The girls from Boyd were beaten by 65 points not to mentioned humiliated and emotionally upset. There is no excuse for a "kick them when their down" mentality from a coach of 28 years and his success. Our coach mentioned that to him after the game and he followed her into the hallway pointing his finger at her and I'm sure telling her what a great man he was. Come to find out last night was his night. McMinn honored JM for his 600th win last Teusday and it was their homecoming. So I guess he had to "showw off" a little. Good luck coach hope you win it all. By the way the last statement on your board of Sportmanship posted on the wall said; "character is more important than winning." Yeah right.

Gee...this is eerily similar to your football situation. The Bald One has stated many times how the beatings from SP made your team work harder to get better. They won a state title a several years later. It shouldn't be any problem for your girls BB team to do the same. I wouldn't complain about a pounding like this. It's part of the game. Some coaches don't call off the dogs. Some do. The way to counteract is to get better so no team can do it to you.

Let's look at facts from the other side also. The press did continue until half. But with only 2 minutes gone into the second quarter all of Central's girls had played except 2. In fact if you look at the scorebook you will see 9 of them scored. The second five work hard for their playing time and are eager to score if given the chance. To say the eleventh girl on the team should not get to shoot or try a "3" when she is a point guard is not fair.

Second half, no press or half court trap at all. Watch your game film to confirm and your scorebook to confirm that 9 different girls scored in second quarter. Second five in game halfway through third quarter , starters done for the night. Boyd had a very bad shooting night, they got good shots and just were not hitting.

And you want to throw ugly comments at Central's coach, be careful, you are in a glass house. He did not initiate the confrontation or go into the hallway. She walked past the Central girl bench and came back in front of the Boyd boys' team to demonstrate in front of them what should not have of happened. He walked away as she continued to want to argue back to the bench so that the awarding of the game ball for 600 wins. Ask any of your own boys team and they will confirm that.

QUOTE(Antwan @ Jan 27 2007 - 12:08 PM) 826348055[/snapback]

Gee...this is eerily similar to your football situation. The Bald One has stated many times how the beatings from SP made your team work harder to get better. They won a state title a several years later. It shouldn't be any problem for your girls BB team to do the same. I wouldn't complain about a pounding like this. It's part of the game. Some coaches don't call off the dogs. Some do. The way to counteract is to get better so no team can do it to you.

Your comment on football is a little off base. BBS is a football school. 60 kids on the team that work really hard has the potential of great success. Your point is well taken about the idea that hard work after beatings like this is needed. I agree totally and I know that is what the BBS girls will do. Now to my main argument:

The multiplier was a football issue. When the 1.8 multiplier went into effect,many people new that it would devastate small private schools like BBS when it came to girls basketball or other sports for other schools. Here you have a school that should be playing on the 1A level going up against a dominant 2A program like McMinn Central who went the the state final four last year and will again in the future. To beat a team this badly who has very little business playing at this level is sad to say the least. If the score ends up this badly and the game was played in the half court that is one thng. But when you press up 38 and are instructed to keep shooting threes so that you can get to 100 that is another. Maybe this is the way they play and the argument is, "if you can't stop us that is your fault not ours" Maybe it is "we press the first half and take it off the second" Maybe it is "all girls play need to run our system so they will get better." I certainly understand the need to improve your team. BUT, this is HIGH SCHOOL basketball and we are dealing with the lives of 14 - 18 year olds. In the case of BBS many more are in the 14 - 16 range. Sports is not all about winning and losing in High School. For a coach to treat it as such is wrong.

Congratulations Coach Morgan for 600 wins. You do a good job and deserve alot of credit. However, not everyone is as fortunant as you are to be blessed with great athletes. To embarass them because of it is a whole other issue besides the wins and losses.

She did initiate the confrontation at the scorers table. Coach M then followed her past the CENTRAL bench, pointing a finger at her the whole time, into the area where the boys teams enter. They continued their discussion there, both of them were pretty hot. They were separated and went their separate ways. BBS to their locker room and Coach M to midcourt. Nothing was ever said after that. The BBS boys had no idea any of this happened. Get your facts straight please.

QUOTE(maroonandwhite @ Jan 27 2007 - 07:14 PM) 826348485[/snapback]

Let's look at facts from the other side also. The press did continue until half. But with only 2 minutes gone into the second quarter all of Central's girls had played except 2. In fact if you look at the scorebook you will see 9 of them scored. The second five work hard for their playing time and are eager to score if given the chance. To say the eleventh girl on the team should not get to shoot or try a "3" when she is a point guard is not fair.

Second half, no press or half court trap at all. Watch your game film to confirm and your scorebook to confirm that 9 different girls scored in second quarter. Second five in game halfway through third quarter , starters done for the night. Boyd had a very bad shooting night, they got good shots and just were not hitting.

And you want to throw ugly comments at Central's coach, be careful, you are in a glass house. He did not initiate the confrontation or go into the hallway. She walked past the Central girl bench and came back in front of the Boyd boys' team to demonstrate in front of them what should not have of happened. He walked away as she continued to want to argue back to the bench so that the awarding of the game ball for 600 wins. Ask any of your own boys team and they will confirm that.

QUOTE(tennesseebball @ Jan 27 2007 - 06:20 PM) 826348490[/snapback]

Your comment on football is a little off base. BBS is a football school. 60 kids on the team that work really hard has the potential of great success. Your point is well taken about the idea that hard work after beatings like this is needed. I agree totally and I know that is what the BBS girls will do. Now to my main argument:

The multiplier was a football issue. When the 1.8 multiplier went into effect,many people new that it would devastate small private schools like BBS when it came to girls basketball or other sports for other schools. Here you have a school that should be playing on the 1A level going up against a dominant 2A program like McMinn Central who went the the state final four last year and will again in the future. To beat a team this badly who has very little business playing at this level is sad to say the least. If the score ends up this badly and the game was played in the half court that is one thng. But when you press up 38 and are instructed to keep shooting threes so that you can get to 100 that is another. Maybe this is the way they play and the argument is, "if you can't stop us that is your fault not ours" Maybe it is "we press the first half and take it off the second" Maybe it is "all girls play need to run our system so they will get better." I certainly understand the need to improve your team. BUT, this is HIGH SCHOOL basketball and we are dealing with the lives of 14 - 18 year olds. In the case of BBS many more are in the 14 - 16 range. Sports is not all about winning and losing in High School. For a coach to treat it as such is wrong.

Congratulations Coach Morgan for 600 wins. You do a good job and deserve alot of credit. However, not everyone is as fortunant as you are to be blessed with great athletes. To embarass them because of it is a whole other issue besides the wins and losses.

I made that post with tongue in cheek. I am tired of the double standard. You weren't a football school either until you started winning. The multiplier is not the problem. Schools a lot smaller than Boyd can play with McMinn. I don't want to turn this into a public/private thread.

Now...I really don't agree with running the score up on somebody...saying that is your style of play. That just doesn't wash. Like the previous poster said...what comes around...goes around. There was no need for your coach to confront. That's just as bad as the deed itself. You just file it away and retaliate when you can.

I now see the tongue in cheek reference. I agree BBS was not a football school until they started winning. But, they started winning while playing teams their own size. I agree, I don't want this to be a public - private thread, I am sick of those. Name me some of the schools much smaller than BBS that can consistently play with McMinn Central in girls basketball.

As for what she said, it really wasn't a "confrontation" She expressed her opinion that he should not have pressed them when they were up 38. She was taking up for her kids who were devastated. He then went off and it escalated. But, let's not be fooled. This thing happened in about 30 seconds and ended very quickly. It did not get out of hand by any stretch. I think we are making way too much out of it, so I plan to not go any further.

The only thing I want to know is these schools smaller than BBS that can consistently compete with Mcminn Central in Girls Basketball.

QUOTE(Antwan @ Jan 27 2007 - 07:40 PM) 826348504[/snapback]

I made that post with tongue in cheek. I am tired of the double standard. You weren't a football school either until you started winning. The multiplier is not the problem. Schools a lot smaller than Boyd can play with McMinn. I don't want to turn this into a public/private thread.

Now...I really don't agree with running the score up on somebody...saying that is your style of play. That just doesn't wash. Like the previous poster said...what comes around...goes around. There was no need for your coach to confront. That's just as bad as the deed itself. You just file it away and retaliate when you can.

QUOTE(tennesseebball @ Jan 27 2007 - 09:08 PM) 826348663[/snapback]

I now see the tongue in cheek reference. I agree BBS was not a football school until they started winning. But, they started winning while playing teams their own size. I agree, I don't want this to be a public - private thread, I am sick of those. Name me some of the schools much smaller than BBS that can consistently play with McMinn Central in girls basketball.

As for what she said, it really wasn't a "confrontation" She expressed her opinion that he should not have pressed them when they were up 38. She was taking up for her kids who were devastated. He then went off and it escalated. But, let's not be fooled. This thing happened in about 30 seconds and ended very quickly. It did not get out of hand by any stretch. I think we are making way too much out of it, so I plan to not go any further.

The only thing I want to know is these schools smaller than BBS that can consistently compete with Mcminn Central in Girls Basketball.

Jackson County ...Red Boiling Springs (201)...Clarkrange (231) ...Gleason (166)...Summertown...Clay County (249) all can play with McMinn. I can list some more if you want.

And that's not even the private schools I could list.

Jackson County and Summertown are a little larger...but still Class A

QUOTE(tennesseebball @ Jan 27 2007 - 10:01 PM) 826348772[/snapback]

IF you say so, I will accept that they can compete. But, typically 1A state tournament teams can't compete with 2A state tournament teams. Central is a perennial state tournament caliber program so I am not sure I am in agreement. Anyway, enough is enough. Good to banter with you and have a great weekend!

Yes...they can compete. This is Jackson County's 2nd year back in A. They won 4 straight AA titles before dropping back down. Those A teams gave them fits during those years. Clarkrange has won 7 class A titles. There's not a lot of difference in A and AA most years.

Thanks...and you do the same.