Mang-nificent performance in AL

BamaGrappler

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BamaGrappler @ Feb 3 2007 - 12:53 PM) 826357014[/snapback]

(Again) For those interested, David Mang (Prattville) will be going for his first (and only?) AHSAA State Championship in the Championship Finals this evening.

He faces Zach Clark (Bob Jones) whom he has defeated twice at 130 before both dropped to 125.

Results are posted at www.AlabamaWrestling.Net

I was noticing that there was a 16 man bracket in Class 6-A and 8 man brackets in both Class 5-A and Class 1A-4A. How many schools in the state compete in each Class total? Are there more schools in 6-A hince the 16 man bracket? thanks

QUOTE(shutout @ Feb 3 2007 - 08:02 PM) 826357371[/snapback]

David wins by pin in finals. congrats.

Nice match.

Clark led through the match until late in the 3rd period. Mang throws Clark to his back -- gets the takedown to tie it, but no nearfall as Clark's shoulders are out of bounds. Goes to OT and Mang throws again and pins in 0:30 in OT.

Congratulations. Prattville fell short on the team title though.

QUOTE(BamaGrappler @ Feb 3 2007 - 10:03 PM) 826357439[/snapback]

Nice match.

Clark led through the match until late in the 3rd period. Mang throws Clark to his back -- gets the takedown to tie it, but no nearfall as Clark's shoulders are out of bounds. Goes to OT and Mang throws again and pins in 0:30 in OT.

Congratulations. Prattville fell short on the team title though.

Nope.... Mang pinned in second period..... no OT at all.

Clark was up 3-0 with one takedown in the 1st and rode Mang out. Clark chose bottom in the second and got an escape. After a break with ref and coach talking Mang looked like a different wrestler.... not so flustered.

Mang took him down to his back and went out of bounds. No back points. Score was 3-2.

Then Mang cut Clark and hip threw him straight to his back. Pin second period.

QUOTE(tnko @ Feb 3 2007 - 07:53 PM) 826357361[/snapback]

I was noticing that there was a 16 man bracket in Class 6-A and 8 man brackets in both Class 5-A and Class 1A-4A. How many schools in the state compete in each Class total? Are there more schools in 6-A hince the 16 man bracket? thanks

Bump BamaGrappler

QUOTE(television @ Feb 4 2007 - 12:20 AM) 826357686[/snapback]

Nope.... Mang pinned in second period..... no OT at all.

Clark was up 3-0 with one takedown in the 1st and rode Mang out. Clark chose bottom in the second and got an escape. After a break with ref and coach talking Mang looked like a different wrestler.... not so flustered.

Mang took him down to his back and went out of bounds. No back points. Score was 3-2.

Then Mang cut Clark and hip threw him straight to his back. Pin second period.

television-

Looks like we were both wrong. It appears it was the 3rd period --- unless they wrestled a 4 minute 1st period (Fall time was at 4:30). Not sure if you were there or not (if you were, thanks for coming down --- hope you enjoyed it and hope I can make it up to TN, but not likely with the shift to weekdays this year). I was there but was trying to keep up with all 3 mats (classifications), so I have no doubt that I lost track of the time (as usual, we had several "time" and "period" issues with those running the clocks throughout the tournament). My apologies for posting incorrect info (although I'm pretty sure the scorekeeper lit up the 4th period light when switching to the 3rd period, even if temporarily) but wanted the TN guys to know that Mang won (definitively - it was a nice throw/toss). Big congrats to the little man because he absolutely dominated down here all season. I would like to see him stay in Prattvile simply because he raises the bar for our guys to perform.

tnko-

Sorry. Didn't mean to overlook you. *See previous thread. We used to have 16-man brackets. They've been running (for 15 years) 3 classifications, 2 sectional qualifiers for each classification, top 4 from each section go to state, 8-man brackets at state. We are struggling for participation in the sport. Only maybe 30 teams in Class 6A (largest schools). Class 5A might have 20 teams but less than 15 would have full rosters. Class 1A-4A (small schools combined) has maybe 20 teams. This year, the AHSAA decided to move 6A to a 16-man bracket for state and divided them into 4 sections (top 4 from each section qualify). Now, they're thinking about moving to a 3-day event, but in my opinion, the only basis for that idea/decision would be green. We simply don't have enough programs (yet).

QUOTE(neutral05 @ Feb 7 2007 - 08:42 AM) 826361757[/snapback]

Mang is back in school at Bradley Central.

Just out of curiosity, how can one wrestle in the Alabama State Championships on Feb. 2-3 for an Alabama high school and be "back in school at Bradley" on Feb.7 " ? I'm not trying to be critical of the Mang kid, just curious as to how you go about making that happen.