PRACTICE

orangemoundnorth

QUOTE(KAADL @ Feb 3 2007 - 10:06 PM) 826357445[/snapback]

yes so long as there is no ball. If there is no ball you can basically do whatever you want.

Not exactly. Some schools are doing spring practice right now so they can't get the kids who play spring sports involved. Spring sports can begin around Feb. 10, so football coaches who have a large number of their players in those spring sports can opt to go early for spring drills.

It has nothing to do with whether or not there is a ball on the field. TSSAA rules govern when pads can be worn and team practices can be held. The rules say that a team can have two weeks of spring practice, but they don't say that they have to be in spring, but only in the second semester while school is in session.

Don't believe the rules say anything about having to have spring practice in the 2nd semester. I called a coaching friend of mine, he found a rule book and nothing was mentioned about the 2nd semester, just 15 school days to get in 10 days of practice with 2 scrimmages.

Also, he told me you could do anything you wanted to do if you don't have on pads and don't have a ball out there. He said it was called conditioning & agility drills.

Correct me if I am wrong.

QUOTE(LSMFT @ Feb 5 2007 - 07:43 AM) 826358834[/snapback]

Don't believe the rules say anything about having to have spring practice in the 2nd semester. I called a coaching friend of mine, he found a rule book and nothing was mentioned about the 2nd semester, just 15 school days to get in 10 days of practice with 2 scrimmages.

Also, he told me you could do anything you wanted to do if you don't have on pads and don't have a ball out there. He said it was called conditioning & agility drills.

Correct me if I am wrong.

The rule says that you have to hold off season practice during the school year. Given that the season goes from before school starts in the fall until 2 weeks before school is out for Christmas holidays, the spring semester is the only option. It's not rocket science.

Did I not say that the off season practice was limited with days you can practice in pads? I thought so. It has nothing to do with using or not using a ball like the other poster said.

QUOTE(HTV @ Feb 5 2007 - 08:11 AM) 826358896[/snapback]

The rule says that you have to hold off season practice during the school year. Given that the season goes from before school starts in the fall until 2 weeks before school is out for Christmas holidays, the spring semester is the only option. It's not rocket science.

Did I not say that the off season practice was limited with days you can practice in pads? I thought so. It has nothing to do with using or not using a ball like the other poster said.

A school will have 15 days to get in 10 days of on the field pradtice. (Full pads and gear). This constitutes your Spring practice. The remainder of the year, players can wear headgear and throw, catch, kick, snap, and run plays, as well as work secondary coverage. This can be a POSTED routine players follow as per their coaches instructions.

QUOTE(orangemoundnorth @ Feb 3 2007 - 07:11 PM) 826357320[/snapback]

have not been on in awhile. when is it okay to go outside and start practice? I drove by a private school here in memphis and they were outside having drills! is this legal?

Practice??? What are we talking about here, Practice??? WE're not even talking about the game, we're talking about practice!!! Come on man Practice??

I wasn't implying that it was rocket science. But only two schools in each classification have a season that ends 3 weeks before the holiday season begins. If powell wanted to begin their "spring" practice in November then they could do that.

I think if the TSSAA came by Powell High today or for that matter anytime in Nov/Dec and saw the coaches outside with players throwing and catching footballs and the coaches instructing linemen working on football specific drills (shot gun snaps, etc.) I would bet they would say "your spring practice has begun".

QUOTE(LSMFT @ Feb 6 2007 - 02:33 PM) 826360634[/snapback]

I wasn't implying that it was rocket science. But only two schools in each classification have a season that ends 3 weeks before the holiday season begins. If powell wanted to begin their "spring" practice in November then they could do that.

I think if the TSSAA came by Powell High today or for that matter anytime in Nov/Dec and saw the coaches outside with players throwing and catching footballs and the coaches instructing linemen working on football specific drills (shot gun snaps, etc.) I would bet they would say "your spring practice has begun".

That's something you won't see. Our coaches and administrators know the rules.

You can check with your friend, since he is a coach and should know the rules, but I believe that teams are prohibited from holding organized practice once they have been eliminated from post season play, or if they didn't make the playoffs at the end of the regular season, until the spring semester begins in January.

HTV,

How have you been? Work has me tied down, so I haven't beem writing as much as usual.

I know when Coach Duncan was at Powell, he would go out and practice a week in shorts, then go 2 weeks in pads with a scrimmage or two. Now don't say that didn't happen 'cause I would watch baseball then come back two weeks later for the tournament or region playoffs and they would still be gettin' it. Have the rules changed over the last 5-6 years or was there a way to "get" around the rule?

QUOTE(bobbybooshay @ Feb 7 2007 - 07:01 PM) 826362542[/snapback]

HTV,

How have you been? Work has me tied down, so I haven't beem writing as much as usual.

I know when Coach Duncan was at Powell, he would go out and practice a week in shorts, then go 2 weeks in pads with a scrimmage or two. Now don't say that didn't happen 'cause I would watch baseball then come back two weeks later for the tournament or region playoffs and they would still be gettin' it. Have the rules changed over the last 5-6 years or was there a way to "get" around the rule?

I can't answer what you claim you saw. You'd have to ask Coach Duncan about it.

Coach Duncan was my son's coach for my son's freshman and sophomore years, so he only had two spring practices under Duncan. In those two years, they did the "early" spring practice, the last week of January and the first week of February. Teams are allowed 2 scrimmage days during spring.

That changed to the last week of April/first week of May under Coach Stephens and it has continued under Coach Lowe.

I do know that over the last few years the TSSAA has tried to place tighter controls on allowable schedules for off season practice. I don't know what time frame you are talking about, as Clark was at Powell for 17 years, but a lot of rules have changed in Knox County and state wide over the last few years.