Region 8 Individuals

ut18vols

QUOTE(wrestlerbk160 @ Feb 19 2007 - 10:21 AM) 826379042[/snapback]well i dont know the jimmie guy u are talkin about but it will be hard to win next year cause both the champ and runnerup of 125 will be back and as for the finals the Rhea Co guy (Jacob Henley) is a very tough wrestler and the quick pin that was put on him was a fluke not to take anything away from the Bradley guy (David Graham) but that was the third time they have wrestled and it has never been that bad

There were lots of returing champs not sitting on the podium this year. Jimmy Childers is a very good wrestler that had the ability to place. We have a few more in the same weight class that can contend.

FOR MY FRIEND AT WC!

REGION 8 CHAMPIONS UNDEFEATED IN REGION 8!!!!!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(rigger101 @ Feb 18 2007 - 04:23 PM) 826377871[/snapback]Looks like we need to work on it.

Someone earlier in the season had said omething about my son now having comp when we moved into the Region. I think the stats say plenty about where we came from.

rigger I think you should go back to BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN and stay, you should have plenty of competition because they know who you are at cedar hill park now.

QUOTE(ut18vols @ Feb 19 2007 - 01:36 PM) 826379313[/snapback]When I said that I was sorta joking, Congrats to all that made it but overall Region 8 didnt show up at state. We can try again next yr.

Rigger,

I am going to put you on the hot seat........ You've seen these boys wrestle,

and you have seen the top boys at state for many years. Without placing

blame, what could we do differently to prepare these kids for state? What

are we doing, or not doing??? Got any ideas? How do we get these Reg 8

guys ready?

QUOTE(CHSCOACH @ Feb 19 2007 - 10:50 PM) 826380354[/snapback]We have a great camp in Clarksville every year. See the All Results Camp thread. It's run by one of the local ref's here in town.

We will be attending this camp. I'm sure it will help, but I don't think this is

what seperates the east from the rest of the state. I was hoping for some

info on what those dominate teams are doing that we in Reg 8 are not. We

were not even close to those guys.

Do those programs start an off season program? Do they have a off season

strength building program? etc, etc,......

QUOTE(HSDAD @ Feb 19 2007 - 10:36 PM) 826380305[/snapback]Rigger,

I am going to put you on the hot seat........ You've seen these boys wrestle,

and you have seen the top boys at state for many years. Without placing

blame, what could we do differently to prepare these kids for state? What

are we doing, or not doing??? Got any ideas? How do we get these Reg 8

guys ready?

We have some good grapplers in our region, as good as anywhere in the state. Since I've only been here a few months I really can't say. I was shocked how fast the region went out on the first day of State. Of course a big part of that is luck and seating.

I was lucky enough to be around 9 State Final's matches with 7 of them turning out to be State Champions.

It really varied between grapplers. My oldest son went to the finals and never went to a camp, was away from the sport 2 years and never put in any extra wrestling training out of season. Of course he played 3 different sports.

He is the exception. His turning point was after the Father Ryan Tourney and getting stuck by Max Gessler from Tull. He said "I will not lose another match" It went that way thru Luke Borneman until the finals at State.

So bottom line is a big part of this great sport is mental.

"I’d say about 90 percent of wrestling is mental toughness," Cant find who said it but it's correct.

All the other young men I knew put in that extra effort, trained with the best, went to camps. There coaches put in that extra time with the young man that wanted it. They core wrestlers pushed each other and the parents were there to do their part.

My son had State Champ Scott Dix, Justin Knox and others to push him. His coach Joe Knox came to me and said "He's special we need him and he could place at state." I guess we had young men like Joe Knox and Kerry Ferguson who had been to State and placed helping these young men reach their potential.

So I guess to be the best you have to wrestle the best and have the "eye of the tiger" when it counts. A few of these kids get it their senior year. Lets hope our region figures it out.

I have never had the privilage to be involved with a Baylor or Bradley Central type program. Meaning a team with over all good wrestlers. I think the question needs to be asked of a team like Ooltewah that went from being average to a powerhouse in a short time.

QUOTE(HSDAD @ Feb 19 2007 - 11:28 PM) 826380450[/snapback]I was hoping for some info on what those dominate teams are doing that we in Reg 8 are not. We

were not even close to those guys.

I have been to practices around the state and many are varied in there level of hard work and daily routine. Coach Bill Kennedy of our Blackman Middle school is the closest I've seen of all teams I've witnessed in practice to a Bradley and other tough teams. Their (Bradley's) practices are so hard that a tournament is a Huge break for the boys. These boys drill and work out so hard that they have to peel their clothes off after practice ...and the mats and walls, even the rafters look like a tropical storm just blew through. (Water is dripping everywhere). They turn decent athletes into studs by their sophomore years. It's like a machine, but theyr also have decent talent with experience coming up from middle school. Hamm,,, get ready!!! 7 or so is coming your way this upcoming season and many more as this team of 100 or more is reloading as we speak!!!! This will add to region 5's strength along with Tullahoma and what they're building K-8th and beyond.

Off season wrestling helped my son be competitive and he was from region 8 and didn't start wrestling till 9th grade. I took him to other teams' practices when possible and let him experience what it takes to be as good as these true champs that are usually getting their hands raised when it matters most. He also had a dedicated and caring coach and some tough partners on the mat like some tougher Smyrna alum and Angelo Giasanti (former state champ) that was able to beat all of those great ones coming from the powerhouses. He knew what it took to get the job done and that helped to get close to their level in a relatively short time even with serious injury and setbacks.

It takes more hard work, years of great coaching and dedication to that coaching than just talent, and I believe that was the difference between 1st and 2nd at 215 this year