Region X Tournament Final

CoachDelgado

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(usfjim @ Feb 12 2007 - 12:11 PM) 826368543[/snapback]

35 was a five seed and beat the 4, 1 and 2 to be the champion. mustang brandon could have won if he was handicapped giving the other guys a 14-0 head start in that weight class. realistically, he could have won region at 71 or 89 also. plus, he was the wrestler o' the year over cardinal demetrius.

I guess it depends on your definition of "outstanding wrestler." Maybe there should be an OW for best wrestler and a Rudy Award for beating the odds.

Everybody knows Brandon is an outstanding wrestler and I doubt his only goal was to win OW of a REGIONAL tournament. I think with his skills, he is working hard for his second state title and a possible OW, or even a best match when he faces Creagan in the finals.

Region X Forever, Everybody else never!!!!!!!!!!!

Different people have different philosphies on who wins OW. It is there vote and they are entitiled to it. My vot for OW of the tournament would have been was Ryan Schmidt at 152. The number 1 seed was debated at the seeding meeting. He had 3 dominating pins in 1:54, 2:39 and 1:52 in the finals.

There are those who believe in the Rudy mentality. When coaching at Briarcrest we were at a tournament and my wrestler was up for OW. He had four pins vs the guy that only had three matches, 1 by pin. We were the number 1 seed and defending state champ. The other wrestler was just a good wrestler who came out of the 3 seed spot to win. A coach came in late and the vote was tied. When asked who he was voting for his only question was "Who was the lower seed". He voted for the lower seed kid with no regard as to how they won/dominated or not their matches.

Guest 171Bartlett

Do all the parents from the "West" sit together at these tournaments and encourage each others wrestlers ?

Curious if the coaches partner with each other and the other wrestlers at this venue,, I know some do by nature during the season and some dont..

Thanks

Usually each team sits wherever they can find a spot big enough for their team and parents. However we usually cheer for everyone from the west. At least I know what I do and what some of the parents from other teams have told me they did. Some teams have sat together but I'm not sure you can count on that as seating is cramped on the bottom level, and gets much worse when DII come the second day Finals are the worse unless you get there early and ready to tackle for your section.

QUOTE(CoachDelgado @ Feb 13 2007 - 07:20 AM) 826369784[/snapback]

Different people have different philosphies on who wins OW. It is there vote and they are entitiled to it. My vot for OW of the tournament would have been was Ryan Schmidt at 152. The number 1 seed was debated at the seeding meeting. He had 3 dominating pins in 1:54, 2:39 and 1:52 in the finals.

There are those who believe in the Rudy mentality. When coaching at Briarcrest we were at a tournament and my wrestler was up for OW. He had four pins vs the guy that only had three matches, 1 by pin. We were the number 1 seed and defending state champ. The other wrestler was just a good wrestler who came out of the 3 seed spot to win. A coach came in late and the vote was tied. When asked who he was voting for his only question was "Who was the lower seed". He voted for the lower seed kid with no regard as to how they won/dominated or not their matches.

Yea, I guess people can vote by who impresses them the most, which would be much different for coaches who know the wrestlers and their history than it would be for fans who aren't as familiar with the seedings and underdogs. In my view of OW, I would try to imagine walking into a gym as though I were from Alaska and didn't know any of the kids. The wrestler that stands out the most (hence the term "outstanding") would be my choice. I didn't know Schmidty pinned three kids, so he would have to be up there. And by the way, dragon12, I know he doesn't care about OW at region. But those who can't wrestle...analyze, and being that I wasn't at the tournament, I have to analyze something from off the message boards. That was about the only thing I could find.

QUOTE(CoachBray @ Feb 11 2007 - 10:21 AM) 826367197[/snapback]

Jab, Man I'm sorry that you got hurt before this tournament! You would have definitely made some noise and be packing those bags for Chattanooga.

Thanks coach and it is really bad that i got hurt right before state. I really wanted to go out to Chattanooga and wrestle my ###### off to place, but next year I will work harder through blood, sweat, and tears to give coach Bradley his 1st state champ since Shane Ford of 97 who he also wrestled 160.

QUOTE(best_of_the_west @ Feb 13 2007 - 10:59 AM) 826370023[/snapback]

Yea, I guess people can vote by who impresses them the most, which would be much different for coaches who know the wrestlers and their history than it would be for fans who aren't as familiar with the seedings and underdogs. In my view of OW, I would try to imagine walking into a gym as though I were from Alaska and didn't know any of the kids. The wrestler that stands out the most (hence the term "outstanding") would be my choice. I didn't know Schmidty pinned three kids, so he would have to be up there. And by the way, dragon12, I know he doesn't care about OW at region. But those who can't wrestle...analyze, and being that I wasn't at the tournament, I have to analyze something from off the message boards. That was about the only thing I could find.

BOTW, I know you love to analyze the sport of wrestling and you helped us out many times when I was wrestling. I just don't think Wright would be worried about getting OW this weekend. I don't think he should have gotten OW because he didnt do anything outstanding. He did what he was expected to do, win the region. I would give it to a guy who was a lower seed like Jose mentioned, because he was not expected to do what he did. sorry if I came off harsh.

In my opinion the OW should go to the most dominating, best wrestler in the event. It should be renamed the best wrestler award. It is not, well kind of not except for his hard work and determination, Brandon's fault that no one in the region could hang with him. He had the absolute most dominant performance of the tournament. Wrignt, Herndon, Schmidt and Hacker all pinned all the way through. Yeah, they al four came from the #1 seed, but so what. The lower seed that won OW, and he had a great performance coming from the 5 spot, had a tech fall and 3 regular decisions. What does one consider outstanding? It is up to intepretation. Now, what does one consider the best wrestler of the tournament? I think that eliminates the person that won OW and limits the vote to those winners that had all pins, Herndon, Hacker, Schmidt and Wright.