Grace vs. East Ridge

abc123kid

QUOTE(spydaman2405 @ Feb 13 2007 - 03:45 PM) 826370391[/snapback]

So what is it now Phillip 3 Carter 1? It might just be 2 to 1 I'm not sure but I know Phillip one the other game this year and the 30 20 night last season. Carter played well his game baffles me but he is a heck of a ball player. Phillip is shaping more and more into a D-1 post player with his aggressive play and consistency rebounding the ball. He reminds me of Paul Davis at Michigan State now Golden State, only Phillip is well ahead of him athletically. Phillip won't get called for the "Shaq" move at the next level like he does in high school, that is what you goobers are calling throwing elbows its just the new way post players at higher levels are getting seperation.

Thanks god there is someone that is smart... everyone always hates on both philip and carter when they are both great players and only juniors..... You are bout the 1st one I have seen to say something positive about the 2.... Philip and Carter are both going to arrive and play at a top D-1 school and mabey go on from there... They have 2 diffrent game mentalities even though I would like to see carter play down low in high school ( even though when he is hitting you cant stop him) and philip is getting really agressive and he will need to be that agrressive in college to hang with the talent up there...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wells stands tall as East Ridge beats Grace

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

By Jaime Lackey

Staff Writer

It was a good thing Tubby Smith showed up early.

Fans who didn't get to Grace Academy before the start of Monday's game with East Ridge were turned away at the door, but all the ones who could fit inside the school's gym saw the visiting Pioneers end the regular season with a 58-41 win.

Like most everyone else, the University of Kentucky head coach was at Grace to see the matchup between the city's two 6-foot-10 juniors, East Ridge's Phillip Jurick and the Golden Eagles' Carter McMasters.

But like in the teams' last meeting, it was the Pioneers' Alex Wells who had the biggest night. The senior guard finished with a game-high 23 points, including 14 in the third quarter when East Ridge pulled away from an eight-point halftime lead.

"This was a lot of fun," Wells said. "It's always more fun to play when all the fans are into it. Our game plan was to get Phillip the ball, but when he got in foul trouble I had to step in."

The Golden Eagles built a 13-5 lead on freshman Terrell Church's 3-pointer to end the first quarter, but the more-experienced Pioneers (21-4) quickly got back in it. They took their first lead at 16-14 on a basket from Jurick, and Wells' three-point play with 3.1 seconds left in the half put his team ahead 26-18.

When Grace (17-9) couldn't stop Wells in the third quarter, East Ridge's lead grew to 20 points, and the Pioneers were up 55-33 when Jurick fouled out with 4:36 left in the game.

"I thought we let the noise affect us early, but we played great from the second quarter on," East Ridge coach Jon Goddard said. "Early in the year it would really hurt us (to have Jurick in foul trouble), but other guys have stepped up. We can play with four guards and not miss a beat. Alex is able to put the ball on the floor and create things for himself and for everyone else."

Jurick finished with 11 points and nine rebounds, while McMasters also had nine rebounds to go with his 18 points that included three 3s.

"We always feel like we can do better, but I thought Carter played well, and Patrick (Shaughnessy) did a nice job guarding Phillip," Grace coach Jon Mattheiss said. "I told them that overall I was proud of them, but we've got to find a way to put more points on the board. Right now our offense is holding us back, but we're pleased with the defensive effort."

QUOTE(abc123kid @ Feb 13 2007 - 02:47 PM) 826370312[/snapback]

He barelly cliped dude on the nose dude was just full of drama and the ref bought it... he was turning looking full a guy its not his fault the guy was slapping the S********** out of him is it...

If you think people are just talking about one call, you're crazy. The one that stands out in my mind is the one RAW was talking about where Jurick made a slap on skin that the whole gym heard. Every ref knows there is a sounds leather makes and there is a sound skin makes. Refs are also taught when they hear the skin slapping sound, it should be followed by the whistle.

So what is it now Phillip 3 Carter 1? It might just be 2 to 1 I'm not sure but I know Phillip one the other game this year and the 30 20 night last season. Carter played well his game baffles me but he is a heck of a ball player. Phillip is shaping more and more into a D-1 post player with his aggressive play and consistency rebounding the ball. He reminds me of Paul Davis at Michigan State now Golden State, only Phillip is well ahead of him athletically. Phillip won't get called for the "Shaq" move at the next level like he does in high school, that is what you goobers are calling throwing elbows its just the new way post players at higher levels are getting seperation.

You're right, it's the new way... that doesn't make it legal. Games in college and the NBA are called differently for a reason.

Thats not always the case. Over the back is over the back no matter what league you play in. Now he wont get as many offensive fouls called on him in the next level, thats for sure. But he will get more defensive fouls called on him due to guarding better players in college. And he is young, he may not even know his own strenght yet which would cause alot of the offensive fouls.

QUOTE(redandwhiteforever @ Feb 13 2007 - 02:05 PM) 826370343[/snapback]

There were two trips down the floor where Philip should have been called for fouls but wasnt. There was the one time where he slapped someone on the arm and the whole gym heard it and the next time he was pushing a grace player with an arm bar. He was lucky he didnt foul out earlier. It is his game to play physical and thats good for him, but he needs to be smarter and not pick up dumb fouls.

i dont think that the refs should call as much on him as they do, its not his fault that other players are that much smaller than him he doesnt do it in a hurtfull way hes just playing his game is all, but he does make a lot of fouls that arent good ones, but when you're that big over the back is inevitable

People dont hate on Carter and Jurick they only speak the truth. Only ER and Grace fans think these kids are good. Jurick has the potential but he will only get better if East Ridge gets a new coaching staff. But I just cant see these kids playing major college ball on the next level. Maybe Jurick but carter needs to try UTC.

QUOTE(t-mac @ Feb 16 2007 - 01:20 PM) 826374606[/snapback]

People dont hate on Carter and Jurick they only speak the truth. Only ER and Grace fans think these kids are good. Jurick has the potential but he will only get better if East Ridge gets a new coaching staff. But I just cant see these kids playing major college ball on the next level. Maybe Jurick but carter needs to try UTC.

Evidently Tubby Smith and Bruce Pearl as well.

QUOTE(oldtimeballer63 @ Feb 12 2007 - 11:33 PM) 826369605[/snapback]

Grace got off to a fast start, building an eight-point lead at the end of the first quarter. But East Ridge took over from there. The Pioneers out-scored the Golden Eagles 21-5 in the second quarter to go up eight at halftime. East Ridge went on to win 58-41. Jurick scored 11 points, while McMasters had 18. The Pioneers Alex Wells led all scorers with 23 points.

I think that East Ridge will pull off an easy win!!!!!!