coaches

1-3pointer

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(1-3pointer @ Feb 11 2007 - 07:41 PM) 826367793[/snapback]

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will talk to my daughter and tell her she needs to talk to her coaches about her concerns and that way the coaches know maybe they do not see that it is bothering her. Thanks again.

I am sorry some got off track of the topic. I wish you luck.

But I would not put too much hope in the coach changing. Either he or she has the skills to correctly identify how to motivate each girl or he doesn't. He will probably never change and he probably does not want to change. I will tell you one thing, if he is how he was described, he will never be extremely successful coaching girl's basketball. He may win some local title, but he will never compete year after year for state honors because to do so, you have to care about your players. A coach that cares about his players gets to know his players and knows what buttons to push to give them their best opportunity to succeed.

As far as your daughter saying something to him, he will probably take it personal and hold it against her. I hope not. I will pray for you.

Good luck

QUOTE(basketballknowitall @ Feb 11 2007 - 12:48 PM) 826367315[/snapback]

Very few coaches treat all the players the same. Our coach is good at treating the stars the same as the others. Always demanding the best from all. The coach at Richland, who I would never play for, treats players different depending on who they are, who their mama and daddy is, or who they are kin to. He will yell at one player while letting another do the same thing and nothing is said. He is really a joke of a coach. Without the 2 girls he has recruited to Richland, they would be a below average team.

Too bad you are still as immature as you were when you left Richland to go to Cornersville!! As for the Richland coach treating players according to who their parents are.....it didn't cause your sister to have less playing time....she was always in the game! Sounds like you are just a wee bit jealous. Maybe now you realize you wish you had of grown up and stayed to play with the Lady Raiders!!!

By the way, who are the 2 BIG recruits that came to Richland, and who are you so called STARS at Cornersville????

I am so sorry your daughter is unhappy. It's crazy what we do with sports. We trust our child with an adult, but we have to be so careful when we think our child is being abused. Where else in life do we hesitate to speak with a person who we think is mistreating our child. I agree that your child should try to speak with the coach respectfully. I hope you find a coach that will listen respectfully. Remember, you are teaching your child to speak up for herself, and hopefully making the coach think. It is always the coaches final decision.

Very few coaches treat all the players the same. Our coach is good at treating the stars the same as the others. Always demanding the best from all. The coach at Richland, who I would never play for, treats players different depending on who they are, who their mama and daddy is, or who they are kin to. He will yell at one player while letting another do the same thing and nothing is said. He is really a joke of a coach. Without the 2 girls he has recruited to Richland, they would be a below average team.

You were allowed to do what ever you wanted when you played for Richland, so you of all people should know. Now you have a coach that puts you in your place even when your kin don't like it.

Here's something I heard legendary Coach Bobby Knight say:

"Criticism makes a competitive person play harder whereas praise makes a person lazy."

Maybe this coach is trying to make your daughter compete to her fullest potential, and it is coming across as criticism. I as parent was in this position earlier this season and had to listen to my daughter whine about being mistreated. I almost went this route & was upset until I realize my daughter wasn't playing to her potential and she was falling to the negativity trap that so many players fall into. I became honest with my daughter & told her SHE, not the coach needed to step her game up & get rid of her attitude. AND, if she couldn't do that then she needed to quit. She didn't like it but as a parent I owed her that. (I also knew she wouldn't quit because she loves the game.) I know as parents we want to take our child side but sometimes we need to step back & be truthful with our child, especially if they are a better player than what's coming across to the coach. I can say there's some truth in Bobby Knight's statement because my daughter, being competitive stepped HER game up, got out of her attitude & her playing time increased. My advice would be to tell your daughter to stop focusing on what the other players are doing & what might appears what they are getting away with and start focusing on making herself a complete & better player.

QUOTE(jazzypha24mom @ Feb 13 2007 - 01:51 PM) 826370320[/snapback]

Here's something I heard legendary Coach Bobby Knight say:

"Criticism makes a competitive person play harder whereas praise makes a person lazy."

Maybe this coach is trying to make your daughter compete to her fullest potential, and it is coming across as criticism. I as parent was in this position earlier this season and had to listen to my daughter whine about being mistreated. I almost went this route & was upset until I realize my daughter wasn't playing to her potential and she was falling to the negativity trap that so many players fall into. I became honest with my daughter & told her SHE, not the coach needed to step her game up & get rid of her attitude. AND, if she couldn't do that then she needed to quit. She didn't like it but as a parent I owed her that. (I also knew she wouldn't quit because she loves the game.) I know as parents we want to take our child side but sometimes we need to step back & be truthful with our child, especially if they are a better player than what's coming across to the coach. I can say there's some truth in Bobby Knight's statement because my daughter, being competitive stepped HER game up, got out of her attitude & her playing time increased. My advice would be to tell your daughter to stop focusing on what the other players are doing & what might appears what they are getting away with and start focusing on making herself a complete & better player.

This is probably the best example I have seen. Simply because it's from a parent and it's real!

"To whom much is given, much is required."

This is what I tell my daughter. I have coached some youth and AAU, and I try to explain to her and her teammates now, that a coach is not going to get all over a girl who just isn't capable of getting it done. If he's all over your butt, it's because he knows you can do better, if he didn't think so, he wouldn't waste his time.

A ball-player can't get the "coach just hates me" attitude and give up. Everytime that coach yells at you, he's challenging you to give your very best, that potential that he sees in you. You have to step-up, not stub-up!

Coach Hall has an amazing amount of talent on this years team, there's NO disputing that. But the team needs a leader they trust and respect, and he's the man. Your opinion means little to nothing to anyone at Richland.

Everyone of the Richland Lady Raiders have played for Richland since the 7th grade, except for Stephanie Roper.

If he's a joke of a coach with a 28-2 season record I would love to see what he could do if he was any good at it.