Baseball Etiquette and Questions for E5

RUBlind!!!

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Feb 14 2007 - 10:42 AM) 826371447[/snapback]

I WAS KIDDING TOO did you not read it all? If i realize this was a sarcastic topic im with ya i would prefer to say that not all pitchers are real pitchers lol lets leave umpires out of this lol

I would never use rivedaleman and umpire in the same senctence. You should be arrested for kicking that seeing eye dog you use to help you call the game. "Sounded like a strike to me, coach" is not an appropriate response to an obvious missed call. Getting paid $45.00 for a single and eating $12.00 out of the concession stand ain't right either.

Have you ever tried looking through those bars instead of at those bars?

See you down the road.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(E5 @ Feb 14 2007 - 01:10 PM) 826371598[/snapback]

I would never use rivedaleman and umpire in the same senctence. You should be arrested for kicking that seeing eye dog you use to help you call the game. "Sounded like a strike to me, coach" is not an appropriate response to an obvious missed call. Getting paid $45.00 for a single and eating $12.00 out of the concession stand ain't right either.

Have you ever tried looking through those bars instead of at those bars?

See you down the road.

i think we are getting paid 50 this year lol

and you know that once it leaves his hand it is a stirke unless somthing drastic happnes to change my mind

I do not eat 12 worth of concession stand food usually just 1 drink and 1 burger

also i do not look at the bars i usually have my eyes shut trying to ignore the coach that couldnt belive it was a strike...lol

QUOTE(Slyder @ Feb 14 2007 - 10:10 AM) 826371390[/snapback]

Baseball Etiqutte Question for both E5 and CCriders:

What is the acceptable number of signs for the pitching coach to give the catcher to call a pitch and how many seconds should the signals last?

And...who does the head coach believe when... there is a 0-2 count and the 8 hole hitter bounces a fastball off the scoreboard for a 2 run homer. Does the head coach believe the pitching coach when he says he called for a curve ball in the dirt or does he believe the catcher when he said the pitching coach called for the heater? Assuming the pitching coach is smart and has the first opportunity to defend himself to the head coach, is the catcher toast or do they both conspire to say the pitcher threw his own pitch?

Instead of me telling you what I think is acceptable, let me tell you about a few different methods that I have seen used. You can make up your own mind.

1. (Coach seated in a lawnchair near the batrack) coach leans to shield himself from the opposition, then simply drops down a 1,2,3, or 4 to the catcher. This method tends to be used by those at a beginner level.

2. (Coach stands in plain view in front of the dugout) coach goes through the face touch system. the face touches are a deke. the real signs are coming from the pitchers dad, who has strategically planted himself near the fence. the dad yells out particular numbers for pitch selection, location, arm slot, and velocity. This method is suggested for those at the intermediate level.

3. (Coach sits on a ball bucket in the middle of the dugout) This one is the most impressive. It demonstrates the impressive baseball knowledge of the coach, as well as, slows the game down to a crawl. The coach surrounds himself with a minimum of 1 assistant coach, 5 players, 1 athletic trainer, 1 team mom, and 2 children (usually coach's children under 8). Then, once the coach starts with his sign giving sequence, all of the others around him begin thiers. The beauty in this system is that the opposition could be reading signs from an eight year old when it is really the head coach giving the sign! Genious!

As for the pitcher vs. catcher vs. pitching coach debate, I've always thought it was best for the pitching coach to immediatly throw his clipboard or throw a chair after a bomb. This should be followed by mumbling obscenities and sending a freshman after the ball. This creates an atmosphere that discourages questions being asked.

QUOTE(ccriders25 @ Feb 15 2007 - 09:47 AM) 826372823[/snapback]

Instead of me telling you what I think is acceptable, let me tell you about a few different methods that I have seen used. You can make up your own mind.

1. (Coach seated in a lawnchair near the bat @@@@) coach leans to shield himself from the opposition, then simply drops down a 1,2,3, or 4 to the catcher. This method tends to be used by those at a beginner level.

2. (Coach stands in plain view in front of the dugout) coach goes through the face touch system. the face touches are a deke. the real signs are coming from the pitchers dad, who has strategically planted himself near the fence. the dad yells out particular numbers for pitch selection, location, arm slot, and velocity. This method is suggested for those at the intermediate level.

3. (Coach sits on a ball bucket in the middle of the dugout) This one is the most impressive. It demonstrates the impressive baseball knowledge of the coach, as well as, slows the game down to a crawl. The coach surrounds himself with a minimum of 1 assistant coach, 5 players, 1 athletic trainer, 1 team mom, and 2 children (usually coach's children under 8). Then, once the coach starts with his sign giving sequence, all of the others around him begin thiers. The beauty in this system is that the opposition could be reading signs from an eight year old when it is really the head coach giving the sign! Genious!

As for the pitcher vs. catcher vs. pitching coach debate, I've always thought it was best for the pitching coach to immediatly throw his clipboard or throw a chair after a bomb. This should be followed by mumbling obscenities and sending a freshman after the ball. This creates an atmosphere that discourages questions being asked.

WOW!

The dad is great. Who knows better than a dad. Makes sense to me because I have seen high school coaches limit a pitcher to three or four pitches. As a father, I know my son has seven pitches and we are adding another.

My problem with the bucket on a personal level is that my legs don't reach the ground and after a long innning, my legs are numb and I go out to coach on offense, I fall down and have to drag my body to the box. Then I am defensless to balls hit out bounds.

I always call all of the pitches. Then when they give up a bomb, I curse out loud and blame the catcher for the call or the pitcher for location. I used to throw and kick, but since taking a line drive off my throwing shoulder while laying in the coaches box coaching third (legs went to sleep) I only use profanity.

E5 I am seeking advice on some issues. Can you help? First, what do you suggest I do for aching thumb joints from playing the 2064 season on MVP '07? Second, what would you suggest for pain in my neck caused when the anti-lock brakes on my chair went out and I hit head first into the wall? Third, what is the best way to handle a dad who says you are black-balling his son b/c you put him in the DH spot in the lineup?

QUOTE(XBOX @ Feb 15 2007 - 10:57 AM) 826372911[/snapback]

E5 I am seeking advice on some issues. Can you help? First, what do you suggest I do for aching thumb joints from playing the 2064 season on MVP '07? Second, what would you suggest for pain in my neck caused when the anti-lock brakes on my chair went out and I hit head first into the wall? Third, what is the best way to handle a dad who says you are black-balling his son b/c you put him in the DH spot in the lineup?

Great questions:

REDSMAN is more of an expert on thumbs and Husqvarna (sp.) chain saws and such. I am not much of a video game person. REDS wins more games in one week of video games than he has in his entire career. The neck is a pretty easy fix. I got this from riders. When he pitched, his neck would loosen up from the p-rods that were hit off of him. I would imagine every other batter hitting from different sides of the plate and say to yourself "CC on the mound, the wind, the fire,..looks like another gapper," then turn your head to follow the path of the ball to the wall. Don't believe the BS that REDSMAN talked about riders pitching. The parent issue is simple.

1. How much money do they have?

2. How much have they given?

3. Can they help on a building project?

If these don't help, pass the buck to the head coach, if you are the head man, send him to the AD.

QUOTE(ccriders25 @ Feb 15 2007 - 10:47 AM) 826372823[/snapback]

1. (Coach seated in a lawnchair near the batrack) coach leans to shield himself from the opposition, then simply drops down a 1,2,3, or 4 to the catcher. This method tends to be used by those at a beginner level.

And this is why I think you should have your own book deal. I perfer #3 and I really like your answer to who accepts blame. I have seen this reaction from you and it really causes the spectator to say bad things of the teenager who is toeing the rubber. It also usually causes a mom or two to have tears well up in their eyes. But we all know baseball is a humbling game and the parents need to be brought down a notch or two.

Now... when a pitching coach takes a trip to the mound, is the seat of his pants always dirty or is their a health issue there for this group of individuals?

QUOTE(E5 @ Feb 14 2007 - 11:25 AM) 826371426[/snapback]

Come on, it is called sarcasm. This is not a "real" topic. Kind of like some umpires are not "real " umpires.

Actually E5, and forgive for correcting you publicly, but I am not sarcastic, I'm Christian by faith, although I do like the American League.

QUOTE(Slyder @ Feb 15 2007 - 12:14 PM) 826373047[/snapback]

Actually E5, and forgive for correcting you publicly, but I am not sarcastic, I'm Christian by faith, although I do like the American League.

Our church split, so I am no longer sarcastic either.

Check this wild idea out...got it from CC...got to give him his props. Cut your tarp to where only the dirt, home plate, and mound is uncovered. Either freeze it or keep it wet and hit ground balls by infielders. Balls will shoot thru like one of CC's hangers back in the day.

I will try to confer with REDSMAN on how to play defense on the frozen or wet tarp. AGAIN, I am publicly giving CC his props.

cc developed this tarp idea, not from aiding infield practice, but rather to keep from having to do any field maintenace. He was responsible for infield edging and sponging up the excess water from wetting the infield. He is on to something though...if he teaches the hanging curve or the 78mph heater, his infield will need to have some rockets fired past them

I have seen the double cut from the outfield, but my son's team plays on a rather large field and arm strength was not a recruitment requirement for the San Quentin team, so my question; if you have to go with the triple cut and your catcher is near sighted...who covers 2nd base?

QUOTE(Slyder @ Feb 15 2007 - 04:26 PM) 826373365[/snapback]

cc developed this tarp idea, not from aiding infield practice, but rather to keep from having to do any field maintenace. He was responsible for infield edging and sponging up the excess water from wetting the infield. He is on to something though...if he teaches the hanging curve or the 78mph heater, his infield will need to have some rockets fired past them

I have seen the double cut from the outfield, but my son's team plays on a rather large field and arm strength was not a recruitment requirement for the San Quentin team, so my question; if you have to go with the triple cut and your catcher is near sighted...who covers 2nd base?

On the triple cut, have the blind pitching chart keeper do the hockey style line change and get into position. We then teach him to scream "get down" or "slide" or best of all while running between second and third base, put the fake tag on him. We distract the umpires by having a parent of the worst player scream profanity at the umpire to distact them. This was learned from watching championship wrestling. Hope this helps.