Bray's State Tournament Predictions

CoachBray

QUOTE(CoachBray @ Feb 12 2007 - 11:30 AM) 826368573[/snapback]

2006-2007 State Tournament Predictions

Division I

State Champions: Soddy Daisy

Runner Up: Bradley Central

1) Talon Noman (Overton) 2) Justin Hammons (Soddy)

3) Jeremy Miller (Greenback) 4) Matt King (Greenville)

5) Jason Kilby (Cumberland County) 6) Zach Shelton (Springfield)

Others to watch: Brett Dial (Collierville), Kelby McAlister (Bradley)

where is the antioch 103

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WrestleSBA @ Feb 12 2007 - 03:36 PM) 826368984[/snapback]

Hey Ronnie,

I know we are a lower class (ok just division) and all but are you going to publish predictions for DII as well? You already have a clue since you rank us anyway. Just wondering if I should be watching! Goodluck this weekend and stay safe in training and when you get there. See you Thursday.

But of course! They will be up in a couple of minutes. I'm a very slow typer!

QUOTE(best_of_the_west @ Feb 12 2007 - 09:00 PM) 826369407[/snapback]

Coach Bray,

What are you doing now? I think I heard you were teaching at Houston, and I thought I heard you were coaching, but I can't really tell from your posts.

Yes, I had to travel to the dark side. Holmes said he was my father, so I had to go. I'm coaching football and wrestling. It has been great and everything is working out well. I'm loving it over there.

QUOTE(numba238 @ Feb 12 2007 - 09:29 PM) 826369463[/snapback]

where is the antioch 103

Soboun will be drawing Justin "soon to be called Mr." Hammons in the 2nd round. Now I'm not one to say that one kid can't beat another, I'm just guessing. In consolations, if it were to happen, the trio of Shelton, Dial, and Farinella will most likely be lurking. So many times in the state tournament, people always go by who's the better wrestler . This may hold up well in duals, but the individual tourney is another monster. We always seem to forget the mental fatigue placed on these kids before and during a big match. And they're supposed to "get up" for big matches up to 7 times? (If you get third, after losing in the 2nd round). That's very draining on a high schooler.

QUOTE(CoachBray @ Feb 12 2007 - 11:30 AM) 826368573[/snapback]

2006-2007 State Tournament Predictions

Division I

State Champions: Soddy Daisy

Runner Up: Bradley Central

1) Kelly Felix (Franklin) 2) Brett Shields (Pigeon Forge)

3) Alex Spletzer (Soddy) 4) Richey Ward (Ravenwood)

5) Lucas Shuler (Seymour) 6) Josh Disney (Bradley)

Others to watch: J.D. Alexander (Mont Cent), Tim Stephens (Ooltewah), Caleb Proctor (Blackman), Dustin Jones (Springfield)

As an FYI for further predictions, I believe Rijar Emin beat Ward of Ravenwood in their Region tournament. In addition, he has beaten some others among these names. If I am not mistaken, out of his 35 matches, he has only lost a few tight ones, minus his match against Felix. His draw is pretty good. I think he will compete high, if not place. Then again, this is State Tournament, right... I've seen weights with 4 region 4th placers in the semis in the past (another reason I think the current setup stinks, but that's another topic altogether).

QUOTE(tnmat @ Feb 12 2007 - 10:04 PM) 826369546[/snapback]

As an FYI for further predictions, I believe Rijar Emin beat Ward of Ravenwood in their Region tournament. In addition, he has beaten some others among these names. If I am not mistaken, out of his 35 matches, he has only lost a few tight ones, minus his match against Felix. His draw is pretty good. I think he will compete high, if not place. Then again, this is State Tournament, right... I've seen weights with 4 region 4th placers in the semis in the past (another reason I think the current setup stinks, but that's another topic altogether).

I agree that Rijar is a tough wrestler. However, the McCroskey match wasn't very close and he didn't seem as focused for the rest of the tournament. I wish him the best of luck this week, I know that you, Gabe, and McTorry will have him ready.

QUOTE(CoachBray @ Feb 12 2007 - 10:46 PM) 826369624[/snapback]

I agree that Rijar is a tough wrestler. However, the McCroskey match wasn't very close and he didn't seem as focused for the rest of the tournament. I wish him the best of luck this week, I know that you, Gabe, and McTorry will have him ready.

If I am not mistaken, Jason McCroskey is in a completely different weight class, which makes that match irrelevant to the 145 weight. In addition, if Emin was beaten badly (which I don't know about... I never saw it), it may be taken into consideration that McCroskey is an excellent wrestler. For example, we could say the same about Felix, because Felix majored Emin, but who says Felix won't do that to every opponent in the state (then again, I've seen the best lose to lesser wrestlers dozens of times). I'm not really judging Emin based on another weight class, but against his opponents that are in his bracket, since that's really all that matters. Then again, I used to wrestle there, so I like to wear my little biases out on my sleeve for everyone to see. lol. I appreciate your input though. It is valuable insight.

PS: I don't help with Overton. Just an alumnus, following his old school.

QUOTE(CoachBray @ Feb 12 2007 - 09:42 PM) 826369494[/snapback]

Yes, I had to travel to the dark side. Holmes said he was my father, so I had to go. I'm coaching football and wrestling. It has been great and everything is working out well. I'm loving it over there.

Soboun will be drawing Justin "soon to be called Mr." Hammons in the 2nd round. Now I'm not one to say that one kid can't beat another, I'm just guessing. In consolations, if it were to happen, the trio of Shelton, Dial, and Farinella will most likely be lurking. So many times in the state tournament, people always go by who's the better wrestler . This may hold up well in duals, but the individual tourney is another monster. We always seem to forget the mental fatigue placed on these kids before and during a big match. And they're supposed to "get up" for big matches up to 7 times? (If you get third, after losing in the 2nd round). That's very draining on a high schooler.

In essence, if Soboun gets to the 2nd round, you are saying he can not beat Hammonds? This kid may be your darkhorse, watch out for him, he has won several tournaments, including destroying Shelton at Beech(and I mean destroyed him), and placing 4th at Brentwood.

Also, Rijar will probably place, he is refocused, ready, and away from Felix.

QUOTE(tnmat @ Feb 13 2007 - 01:15 AM) 826369747[/snapback]

If I am not mistaken, Jason McCroskey is in a completely different weight class, which makes that match irrelevant to the 145 weight. In addition, if Emin was beaten badly (which I don't know about... I never saw it), it may be taken into consideration that McCroskey is an excellent wrestler. For example, we could say the same about Felix, because Felix majored Emin, but who says Felix won't do that to every opponent in the state (then again, I've seen the best lose to lesser wrestlers dozens of times). I'm not really judging Emin based on another weight class, but against his opponents that are in his bracket, since that's really all that matters. Then again, I used to wrestle there, so I like to wear my little biases out on my sleeve for everyone to see. lol. I appreciate your input though. It is valuable insight.

PS: I don't help with Overton. Just an alumnus, following his old school.

About McCroskey and Felix at GP West- Felix manhandled him, so I don't think that McCroskey's match with Rijar is a factor here. Rijar is ready. I think that he will make a strong run into the Semis, but they have to wrestle. The score with ward was closer than the match appeared, Emin controlled it.

QUOTE(CoachBray @ Feb 12 2007 - 02:56 PM) 826368829[/snapback]

Yes, but I believe that Watkins will has a much tougher draw to medal. That is the problem with a carry tournament.

based on the brackets...if Marcum and Watkins both lose before semis...(and looking at the bracket the odds are not in their favor...I would say odds are Marcum loses in the first round and Watkins loses in the 3rd round to Croy) they will meet in the consolation Quarterfinals(and that will decide who will place)...Please correct me if i am wrong