can mckenzie win state

cptjack34

QUOTE(Butchie @ Feb 24 2007 - 05:32 PM) 826387496[/snapback];)

My comments on Logan Poore, Logan will be an asset to the Mckenzie Rebels in the future. But as for now, The Rebels had some players on the bench last yr that were better than the ones who were playing. Now don't jump off the cliff on this. I didn't say they were better than Drew Hayes. But, Last yr we had some players that couldn't hit to save thier lives. And reverse some who could hit but defense was terrible. But these guys didn't get to play because they were underclassmen. Glenn Smith batted a impressive .392 average and was the only Junior on the field. Parker Jones a sophmore played third latter in the season for Broadbent whose defense stunk. But the real fart was his bat. But he was a senior so....... The Rebels were carried by Drew Hayes .511 John Wheat .370 and Bugs .392 the rest of the Rebels were at .225 or lower. This yr we will have more skilled athlete's playing and hitting and solid pitching as well. I like our chances, I'll not make any bold predictions except this.....

If this team jells before playoff time into what it can......oooooooh baby.

First of all you left out the biggest asset that is coming back for Mckenzie which is drew brown. He caught drew hayes all year. I don't know if there is a better defense cather in west Tennessee than him and if i remember right he was the lead off man which got the big double to start off the inning and eventually scored the winning run in game 2 at state. Also, check his on base percentage. Also, Hayes was the leader of the team, but he could't do it all. You have to have a number 2 pitcher which Beau Brown was and got big wins. Bugs is ok but he batted like 5th or 6th in the lineup. Of course you will see good pitches in that spot of the lineup, especially in High school. His defense was so so and when he did step on the mound it was meat.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Baddogg11 @ Feb 24 2007 - 07:52 PM) 826387625[/snapback]First of all you left out the biggest asset that is coming back for Mckenzie which is drew brown. He caught drew hayes all year. I don't know if there is a better defense cather in west Tennessee than him and if i remember right he was the lead off man which got the big double to start off the inning and eventually scored the winning run in game 2 at state. Also, check his on base percentage. Also, Hayes was the leader of the team, but he could't do it all. You have to have a number 2 pitcher which Beau Brown was and got big wins. Bugs is ok but he batted like 5th or 6th in the lineup. Of course you will see good pitches in that spot of the lineup, especially in High school. His defense was so so and when he did step on the mound it was meat.

A major reason Drew has that huge on base % is the fact that he gets hit by so many pitchs.....he must crowd the plate.......he's pretty much the Don Baylor of high school baseball lol

QUOTE(Baddogg11 @ Feb 24 2007 - 07:52 PM) 826387625[/snapback]First of all you left out the biggest asset that is coming back for Mckenzie which is drew brown. He caught drew hayes all year. I don't know if there is a better defense cather in west Tennessee than him and if i remember right he was the lead off man which got the big double to start off the inning and eventually scored the winning run in game 2 at state. Also, check his on base percentage. Also, Hayes was the leader of the team, but he could't do it all. You have to have a number 2 pitcher which Beau Brown was and got big wins. Bugs is ok but he batted like 5th or 6th in the lineup. Of course you will see good pitches in that spot of the lineup, especially in High school. His defense was so so and when he did step on the mound it was meat.

Sure brown did good and all, but i gotta go with billie keck from lexington if i were choosing on the top catchers in west tn.

Oh! Yes we are proud of beau and drew. Beau struggled at the plate alot last season but did pitch some good wins last season. Drew was a great catcher for us. And in the playoffs his bat was well needed. but as well had some difficulty in the middle of the season hitting.

But you didn't deny what i said previously. Just that i left something out. But make no mistake Bugs won't be Drew but boy has he improved. And with the experience of his teammates it's shaping up to be very inticing.

QUOTE(policecopper @ Feb 25 2007 - 12:44 AM) 826388138[/snapback]Sure brown did good and all, but i gotta go with billie keck from lexington if i were choosing on the top catchers in west tn.

Keck's not a catcher, he's either at 1b or the OF. Now with that said, that's not to say Odle won't put him back there if that's his best athlete and after what they lost last year HE IS! I still don't see him playing all that much catcher, they had some other backups last year behind the loss of Byrd to Lambuth. Even if Keck was playing catcher, he's not the catcher Drew Brown is. You don't catch a MLB draftee without being legit behind the dish, not only that I've seen the kid play and he's tough back there. Blocks the ball very well, has an ok arm, but very accurate with it. His offensive struggled at times but you have to remember he was just a sophomore, he's still got a lot of room to grow. Now with that said, IF! billy is catching at lexington, he's still not the best catcher, but he's certainly the best hitting catcher! however, i just find it hard to believe he'll be the starting catcher since he'll be their ace, #3 hitter, etc etc etc... so whoever catches the ace is surely good enough to catch the rest of the staff. otherwise, it'll be hard for him to throw it as hard as he does and run back there an catch it. i'm only kidding by that remark, and not trying to be a smart ellic, but hands down Brown is the better catcher, and I doubt Keck does much catching in l-town.

I'd also throw Brown in there as the best catcher in west tenn this year as a jr, if his offensive numbers come up then he is hands down. I dont know enough about the catchers across the state, but he's top 10!

QUOTE(diamondcutter @ Feb 25 2007 - 10:46 AM) 826388344[/snapback]Keck's not a catcher, he's either at 1b or the OF. Now with that said, that's not to say Odle won't put him back there if that's his best athlete and after what they lost last year HE IS! I still don't see him playing all that much catcher, they had some other backups last year behind the loss of Byrd to Lambuth. Even if Keck was playing catcher, he's not the catcher Drew Brown is. You don't catch a MLB draftee without being legit behind the dish, not only that I've seen the kid play and he's tough back there. Blocks the ball very well, has an ok arm, but very accurate with it. His offensive struggled at times but you have to remember he was just a sophomore, he's still got a lot of room to grow. Now with that said, IF! billy is catching at lexington, he's still not the best catcher, but he's certainly the best hitting catcher! however, i just find it hard to believe he'll be the starting catcher since he'll be their ace, #3 hitter, etc etc etc... so whoever catches the ace is surely good enough to catch the rest of the staff. otherwise, it'll be hard for him to throw it as hard as he does and run back there an catch it. i'm only kidding by that remark, and not trying to be a smart ellic, but hands down Brown is the better catcher, and I doubt Keck does much catching in l-town.

I'd also throw Brown in there as the best catcher in west tenn this year as a jr, if his offensive numbers come up then he is hands down. I dont know enough about the catchers across the state, but he's top 10!

I'd say drew is awesome behind the plate and what he has done for the Rebels til now has been nothing but superb. But for me to compare him to others would be a stretch for me cause i've not seen many but in our division he's by far the best. And at state playoffs was the best. And his bat when it's on it's great but the other side...... he's really accomplished alot til now go Drew.

QUOTE(diamondcutter @ Feb 25 2007 - 10:46 AM) 826388344[/snapback]Keck's not a catcher, he's either at 1b or the OF. Now with that said, that's not to say Odle won't put him back there if that's his best athlete and after what they lost last year HE IS! I still don't see him playing all that much catcher, they had some other backups last year behind the loss of Byrd to Lambuth. Even if Keck was playing catcher, he's not the catcher Drew Brown is. You don't catch a MLB draftee without being legit behind the dish, not only that I've seen the kid play and he's tough back there. Blocks the ball very well, has an ok arm, but very accurate with it. His offensive struggled at times but you have to remember he was just a sophomore, he's still got a lot of room to grow. Now with that said, IF! billy is catching at lexington, he's still not the best catcher, but he's certainly the best hitting catcher! however, i just find it hard to believe he'll be the starting catcher since he'll be their ace, #3 hitter, etc etc etc... so whoever catches the ace is surely good enough to catch the rest of the staff. otherwise, it'll be hard for him to throw it as hard as he does and run back there an catch it. i'm only kidding by that remark, and not trying to be a smart ellic, but hands down Brown is the better catcher, and I doubt Keck does much catching in l-town.

Trust me, Drew Brown is one of my favorite players, but you have either lost your mind or never watched Billy keck play if you think he is better at first or outfield than he is catcher. I trust Coach Odle will coach the way he thinks his team should play, but they don't have anyone with half the experince or talent behind the plate as Billy Keck. Billy can play any position and be one of the most talented in West Tn, but catcher IS his best position. I guarantee there is NOBODY that has seen him play more than me. Good luck Tigers and Coach Odle!!

QUOTE(Butchie @ Feb 25 2007 - 10:54 AM) 826388348[/snapback]/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> I'd say drew is awesome behind the plate and what he has done for the Rebels til now has been nothing but superb. But for me to compare him to others would be a stretch for me cause i've not seen many but in our division he's by far the best. And at state playoffs was the best. And his bat when it's on it's great but the other side...... he's really accomplished alot til now go Drew. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

drew is an outstanding catcher and will help the rebels greatly this season

My son played on the Tennessee Stars 18 and under travel team out of Jackson last summer and I seen some mighty impressive pitching by Clint Kee of Mckenzie. I think he will be an asset to the team. I remember one game at Memphis State when we played the Memphis Tigers and at 16 (one of the youngest on the team) he only gave up 3 hits and pitched 7 innings. And I can think of several games he pitched very well against guys that had already signed with D1 schools in Miss, Ala and Florida. I think he is only a junior this year so he should really be efffective next year. Good luck Clint and all of McKenzie. From an old alumni.

QUOTE(hasbeen7 @ Mar 1 2007 - 01:40 AM) 826394479[/snapback]I keep reading about this Logan Poore who transferred to McKenzie. Is his dad Cecil "the broom" Poore who was an all-star catcher for the Mississippi Ballbeaters of the old WBL (Women's Baseball League) back in the 40's ?

i heard he played in that league it was with your wife i think, she sure is a fun girl ,the things that girl can do with a bat