Can Lawrence Co upset Shelbyville

persistant

With all due respect to the Lawrence County team and its fans, I truly believe the District 8-AAA Championship game tonight was a perfect example of complete overconfidence and lack of respect. After the Lady 'Cats won at Shelbyville, you would have thought they had won the State already by some of the posts on here. I just don't believe the Shelbyville program was shown much respect at all and it played itself out this evening. The Eaglettes just drilled them and it just goes to show that the best teams always rise to the top in tournament time and that is the most important thing with as many games as there are in a season. From my years of watching high school basketball, overconfidence plays a huge factor when it comes to crunch time and Lawrence County felt as if they could just walk out and beat the Eaglettes yet again. Shelbyville has too much pride for that and they are just too tough when it gets to February and March! It's all about peaking at the right time and the Eaglettes do that better than anyone year in and year out. Best of luck to both teams in region play...Lawrence County has a tough game at home against Siegel in the opening round (that could go either way) and then a possible semifinal matchup with the very hot Riverdale Lady Warriors and senior standout Anne Marie Lanning...Shelbyville should have a fairly easy road to the region final since their bracket is much easier. It's looking like a Riverdale-Shelbyville rematch and showdown in the finals, one which I know the Eaglettes will be fired up about. If Riverdale is overconfident like Lawrence County, they will be in trouble. It should be a good one, though, because the loser will likely have to travel to Cleveland for a very difficult matchup in the sectional. The region final could be a game for the ages!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CLASS OF 2010 @ Feb 20 2007 - 07:59 AM) 826380674[/snapback]HE WANTED TO MAKE A STATEMENT AFTER LAWRENCE COUNTY BEAT THEM

yes, i'm sure Shelbyville did want to make a statement after Lawrence County beat them at the Grill, BUT what is the excuse for still shooting to draw a foul with .4 seconds left on the clock against Franklin County? the answer is no class...plain and simple

the team that showed up to play won...bottom line. Lawrence County didn't play as a team, few players even tried to play defense, and we couldn't buy a FREE throw.

And, the quote in the Times-Gazette by Burkey must be a joke -

"She took a few real hard licks in the fourth quarter. She never let it bother her, she never changed the expression on her face and she just calmly walked to the free-throw line and continued to knock down free throws."

Apparently he wasn't watching the same game, because anytime a Lawrence County player got within 2 feet of Jarrell, she was whining to the refs about them holding, all the while wrapping and hooking her arms around them. This was only if the ref didn't call a foul on the Lady Cat player before Jarrell was given the chance to whine. Every single time she was guarded, the expression on her face changed...every time she went to the free throw line, she acted as if the 'foul' had injured her.

At the district tournament, I watched four girls' games and one boys' game, and the officiating in every game was inconsistent and just plain horrible. You'd think by the time tournaments rolled around, we'd have some refs that knew a little about the rules of basketball.

Unbelievable! You lose by 30 and you are complaining about everything. Talking about classless and sore losers! Officiating is a non-issue to say the least in an absolute blowout, so that should not even be brought up. I'd say Shelbyville was not too happy about the way Lawrence County acted after their win during the season and wanted to teach them a lesson last night. I can tell you that Burkey and the Eaglettes are all about class and everyone knows that. When you feel disrespected, though, you are going to play hard all the way to the end regardless of how bad the other team is playing that particular game. In other words, you are not going to let off the gas pedal in that situation. Just admit it...it's embarassing to get spanked like that and you are trying to blame someone else for everything. Shelbyville is the better team by far, especially in tournament time, so just deal with it. Lawrence County has had a great year, but the ride is coming to an end really soon. Trust me, though, you'll want to make the trip from Lawrenceburg to Siegel for the region championship...Shelbyville and Riverdale will be a great game to watch for sure!

QUOTE(sportsguy22 @ Feb 20 2007 - 01:58 PM) 826381289[/snapback]Unbelievable! You lose by 30 and you are complaining about everything. Talking about classless and sore losers! Officiating is a non-issue to say the least in an absolute blowout, so that should not even be brought up. I'd say Shelbyville was not too happy about the way Lawrence County acted after their win during the season and wanted to teach them a lesson last night. I can tell you that Burkey and the Eaglettes are all about class and everyone knows that. When you feel disrespected, though, you are going to play hard all the way to the end regardless of how bad the other team is playing that particular game. In other words, you are not going to let off the gas pedal in that situation. Just admit it...it's embarassing to get spanked like that and you are trying to blame someone else for everything. Shelbyville is the better team by far, especially in tournament time, so just deal with it. Lawrence County has had a great year, but the ride is coming to an end really soon. Trust me, though, you'll want to make the trip from Lawrenceburg to Siegel for the region championship...Shelbyville and Riverdale will be a great game to watch for sure!

DONT LET THESE POSTS TAKE AWAY FROM THOSE GIRLS IN LAWRENCE COUNTY EVERYBODY HAS A BAD GAME

EVERY ONCE AND AWHILE. SHELBYVILLE BEAT THEM 2 OUT OF 3 . THATS ALL ITS OVER FOR NOW.

First, I said that Lawrence County didn't show up to play. If I blamed the loss on anything in the post, it was the under par Lady Cat performance. I never said the officiating took this game away; I said the officiating in ALL of the games I watched in the tournament (4 of the 6 that have already been played) was inconsistent. I never said that the officiating lost the ballgame. If you read my previous post and somehow got that I was making excuses for Lawrence County losing, you were imagining something. I said they didn't play as a team, most of the players didn't play defense, and we missed crucial free throws. If you find me blaming Shelbyville or the officials in that sentence, let me know, because I'm not sure how...

I find it so funny that you think Lawrence County 'disrespected' Shelbyville so badly when they beat them on their home floor. You act like they are the National Champions and Lawrence County ripped the goals out of the walls or something. All I saw from the Lady Cats after the win at Shelbyville was a group of young ladies that were excited because they won a big district game. I guess to 'respect' Shelbyville and act classy, the Lady Cats should have been upset that they beat them and shown no emotion at all.

I also love how everyone thinks the problem was that Lawrence County was 'overconfident,' yet every single Shelbyville supporter that has posted is already banking on a Riverdale-Shelbyville rematch for the Region championship. Sounds to me like the pot's callin the kettle black... I'm not saying the Region championship won't be a rematch, but it just seems a little 'overconfident' to think both teams will advance through two games to make it that far. Last time I checked, when it comes to tournament time, you take ONE game at a time, not three.

I was never taking anything away from the Lawrence County girls in my post, either. I would never do that; the girls just had a tough night. It happens and you move on.

First of all ANYONE beating SCHS girls at the "grill" have a heck of a celebration. Who can blame them it doesn't happen much. I haven't missed a home game in a few years. I didn't think Lawrence County did anything disrespecting Shelbyville. They didn't have time! The boys started immediately. We sit and get dealt crap in the MVP vote this year and say nothing. It's the way it has been the last 30 years. Shelbyville is to TSSAA AAA Womens BBall what the Dallas Cowboys of the 70's were to the NFL. You either love them or hate them. They are the "Gold Standard" in Tennessee. Last nights ball game was not a "get even" game. That's where you all are wrong. Last night was "business", plan and simply. If they continue playing "business like" they will once again make it to the state.

Wildcat2004 would you care to guess how many times the "Golden Eaglettes" not "Lady Eagles" as your public address calls them have won the 8AAA championship since your birth? I'm guessing that's about 20 - 21 years of age. So lets say the last 20 years. Jarrell was beat last night, like a drum. "Precious" stood and watched it and called Buchanan and Bryant for each breath they took. Then he had the GALL to ball out both set of girls after a ridiculous foul to settle down after watching it for the entire second half. We have never gotten anything from the officials and never will.

QUOTE(FlatCreekJim @ Feb 20 2007 - 04:16 PM) 826381499[/snapback]First of all ANYONE beating SCHS girls at the "grill" have a heck of a celebration. Who can blame them it doesn't happen much. I haven't missed a home game in a few years. I didn't think Lawrence County did anything disrespecting Shelbyville. They didn't have time! The boys started immediately. We sit and get dealt crap in the MVP vote this year and say nothing. It's the way it has been the last 30 years. Shelbyville is to TSSAA AAA Womens BBall what the Dallas Cowboys of the 70's were to the NFL. You either love them or hate them. They are the "Gold Standard" in Tennessee. Last nights ball game was not a "get even" game. That's where you all are wrong. Last night was "business", plan and simply. If they continue playing "business like" they will once again make it to the state.

Wildcat2004 would you care to guess how many times the "Golden Eaglettes" not "Lady Eagles" as your public address calls them have won the 8AAA championship since your birth? I'm guessing that's about 20 - 21 years of age. So lets say the last 20 years. Jarrell was beat last night, like a drum. "Precious" stood and watched it and called Buchanan and Bryant for each breath they took. Then he had the GALL to ball out both set of girls after a ridiculous foul to settle down after watching it for the entire second half. We have never gotten anything from the officials and never will.

Never once did I doubt the number of times the Golden Eaglettes have won the 8AAA Championship or the tradition at Shelbyville, but that gives them no right to any more respect than any other team in 8AAA. The young ladies on every other team in the district, region, and state work hard to earn their respect the same as the Eaglettes.

Oh, and where in my 'public address' did you find me calling Shelbyville the Lady Eagles?