Kayla Cantrell

DCdawg

For those of you who have not heard by now, Kayla Cantrell was recently diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. The Dr.'s are giving her plenty of hope since the tumor has not reached the brain stem. Upon the determination of just what type of cancer she has, they will proceed with Chemo and/or Radiation therapy in an effort to shrink it from its present "golf ball" size state.

Kayla has been a true solider for the Dickson County Lady Cougar Softball Team since she was a Freshman and she is now in her Senior year. She has consistently batted in the 300's and has sured up our middle infield making play after play after play. Unless we are blessed with a miracle, it doesn't appear that she will commence this season with us. With Kayla's drive and determination to beat this however, along with all of our prayers we are not ready to count her out for the entire season. In the near future, this very bright student will enter the home bound program and finiish her Senior year. She will attend Tennessee Tech in the Fall.

As both her Volleyball and Softball Coach, I have learned a very valuable lesson from Kayla. In addition to the present diagnosis of Cancer, Kayla has suffered for years from a disease called Addisons. The bottom line of this disease is that you are constantly tired and as a result Kayla missed a lot of school and was not always her sharpest at practice. As a coach, this was hard to accept from a player and more often than not I did not give Kayla the benefit of the doubt. As a result, Kayla ended up quitting Volleyball, not because she wanted to but because she felt bad that her system would not allow her to keep up with her teammates no matter how hard she tried. Kayla ia a great athlete and I should have been a better listener.

Upon completion of Volleyball, we jumped head first into Softball conditioning. Again, the same scenario. Kayla would show on the days she felt good. Although, I was never vocal about it, this was just not acceptable to me. I wanted to blame it on everything else but her sickness.

Coaches, know and listen to your players and be able to recognise their trends and the signs that go along with them. Don't assume anything. Don't ever wish that you had it to do over again.

Players, also learn from Kayla. Give everyday everything you have got both on and off the field because you might not be able to do it tomorrow and understand that it is not all within your control. I can't begin to tell you how devastating Kayla's illness has been to her friends and loved ones.

Please add a wish for a speedy recovery for Kayla to your prayers.

Kayla's coach/DC dawg:

Tremendous post obviously very heartfelt, with some very worthwhile messages/life lessons. Thanks for sharing.

May God Bless and heal Kayla and comfort and encourage her and her friends and family, as well as her teammates and coaches.

Kayla and Dickson County will be in my prayers.

---rSquared

QUOTE(swingaway @ Feb 23 2007 - 09:24 PM) 826386694[/snapback]Do you have a current address for kayla's family so we all can send her a card, or note? My daughter played softball for years with kayla but I no longer have her address.

You may write to Kayla at the following address:

Kayla Cantrell

3400 Church St.

Burns, Tn. 37029

I'm sure she would love to hear from you.

As I get further updates, I will let everyone know.

QUOTE(DCdawg @ Feb 26 2007 - 10:48 AM) 826389934[/snapback]You may write to Kayla at the following address:

Kayla Cantrell

3400 Church St.

Burns, Tn. 37029

I'm sure she would love to hear from you.

As I get further updates, I will let everyone know.

I don't know Kayla, but wish her a speedy recovery. Modern medicine these days are incredible and I've known people with the same diagnosis who are 100% cured today and you'd never know they ever had a problem and I'm sure this will be your case! Stay positive and we'll keep you in our prayers in Bell Buckle.

Side-note: I felt in reading this post that you've really beat yourself up over this Coach. There is no way you can know the medical condition of every kid on your team. Every good Coach expects all their players to give 100% all the time. If you were unaware of Kayla's conditions you were certainly not in the wrong to have higher expectations for her. I'm sure she would of felt worse if she knew she was not giving you what you expected as a Coach and you said nothing. I think you are a big person for saying what you said and making us aware of her condition. I hope you have a successful season and I'm sure Kayla will be pulling for you guys all year also! Get Well Soon Kayla, sounds like your Coach and teamates need you there for them!

Here is the latest update on Kayla. She started having more headaches and nausea yesterday so her parents took her to Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt admitted her for observation and some tests.

The tests revealed that the tumor has grown larger since the previous evaluation hence the reason for her latest round of pain.

They have now determined her cancer to be PNET. (Type in "PNET Cancer" on the Web and you will get many options)

They let her go home from the hospital today so she can be home for the weekend. They intend to commence an extensive 9 month program of Chemo & Radiation treatments early next week.

Don't let up on the thoughts and prayers. I know she is getting strength from them.

QUOTE(DCdawg @ Mar 2 2007 - 02:37 PM) 826397178[/snapback]Here is the latest update on Kayla. She started having more headaches and nausea yesterday so her parents took her to Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt admitted her for observation and some tests.

The tests revealed that the tumor has grown larger since the previous evaluation hence the reason for her latest round of pain.

They have now determined her cancer to be PNET. (Type in "PNET Cancer" on the Web and you will get many options)

They let her go home from the hospital today so she can be home for the weekend. They intend to commence an extensive 9 month program of Chemo & Radiation treatments early next week.

Don't let up on the thoughts and prayers. I know she is getting strength from them.

How is Kayla doing with the treatments? Hope all is well! She is in our thoughts and prayers!!!