Tri-County Seven - Regional Tournament Time!

krichunaka

1) Unicoi County

2) Elizabethton

3) Cloudland

4) Unaka

5) Hampton

6) Happy Valley

7) Johnson County

And we're off to AFTON! The top two, or even the top four could change by as early as tomorrow night. Or, the 2006 - 07 Tri-County Seven could end just as it is now. Either way, we hope it ends in Murfreesboro. One thing's for certain: The biggest losers will be those not fortunate enough to see all Four Semi-Final Games.

I like Elizabethton's chances, if for no other reason than the Lady Cyclones have won nine of ten, and they have four seniors who will be most difficult to eliminate. Victoria Hopson, Marti Bush, Brianne Gouge and Michaela Pietrowski always come out fighting in these Classics. No reason to expect anything different Monday.

Which leads to the Elizabethton Junior class of Hannah Fritz, Kelli Culler, Kyla Jones and Jasmine Treadway. Will one of these four be the difference between winning or elimination? If any of these match Kelli Culler's double-digit scoring effort of last Friday night, Elizabethton will be nearly impossible to defeat.

However, if Alicia Engle goes off like she did against Rugledge, if Lynz Canady hits a few shots, and if Alisha Mainer and Jennifer Edwards manage a stastitical standoff with Marti and Michaela - things like that - this UCHS - EHS matchup could end in overtime.

Unicoi County also has a few juniors - seven of them, including Barnett and Mainer. And a couple very good sophomores - Edwards and Ali Gardner. So, looking at this potential, foul-plagued, ten-deep affair, and especially considering the Mariah Pietrowski injury, Unicoi County appears to have a slight depth advantage.

The Keys?

1) FOUL TROUBLE! Great Matchups throughout the lineups - - Michaela and Alisha; Marti and Jennifer; Victoria and Payge. Who'll get whistled the most?

2) Free Throws. * You had to be there for Unaka and Hampton in last season's District Semi-Finals. Megan Johnson is fouled. At the Buzzer! Unaka trails by two. Megan hits both! Unaka wins in overtime. Free throws are often the final points scored in such games.

I wouldn't bet a nickel either way in this one. I only hope to get to watch the entire game. NOBODY should have to miss this one.

In Single A, Cloudland is a considerable favorite to advance to the Final by defeating North Greene. However, it might get frightfully close. The Lady Huskies demonstrated their potential in the District Consolation game against Hampton, but the Lady Highlanders almost always find their way to the Championship game.

Unaka versus Washburn is anybody's guess. The sickly Lady Rangers survived the Friday Night scare from the promising Hancock County Lady Indians. Hopefully, the seventy-two hours have healed the sick, and they'll be ready to play a great game Monday night.

Goodbye to the Lady Warriors, Lady Longhorns, and Lady Bulldogs. It's been fun. Great job by Coaches Ben Godsey, Stacey Street and Leon Tolley.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krich,

You left out one very important element of this game. The mental side. Unicoi now believes that they can beat the Cyclones and I'm not sure they believed in themselves that much before the Dist. tournament victory having lost several in a row to the Lady Cyclones. It is imperative that the Cyclones come out & dominate early in this game. The longer they let the Blue Devils hang around close, or lead, the more dangerous it becomes for the Cyclones. As I stated earlier, Elizabethton's guards had better step up their game. IF they will do that, it will be a Cyclone victory. GO LADY CYCLONES!!

These Lady Cyclone seniors have had a great run, and until the District 1 semi-final they had owned the Lady Devils. I don't think the Cyclones liked the taste of that loss and I believe they will come to play on Monday night. The loss of Mariah certainly hurts, but if they want it the Cyclones can still win this game. If Unicoi Co. wins, they will have taken back the lead in this fierce rivalry. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!!

Unicoi and Elizabethton have played many close games in the last few years. Tommorrow nights game will likely be no different. I expect both teams to play with intensity, heart and determination. Both teams are very well coached and mentally tough. The Lady Cyclones showed what they are made of by going on the road friday night and beating a very good Gatlinburg Pittman team. I like our chances.

Go Lady Cyclones!!!!

All of you have good points. I think Elizabethton's win in Gatlinburg was a huge mental hurdle. The Lady Blue Devils, after leading by eight midway through the fourth, lost there just before going to Florida. The biggest, early mental battle will probably be Victoria Hopson and Payge Barnett. If Payge hits a couple early baskets, the Blue Devils are formidable. If Victoria hits, the Elizabethton post players will get better looks.

While the Lady Cyclones want to establish early dominance, I don't expect to see it. This rivalry usually has a few mini-runs: A couple threes from Victoria, Marti, Brianne; a couple by Payge, Alicia, Lynz. You hit a couple; they miss a couple; they hit a few, you miss a few. Meanwhile Alisha and Michaela - Marti and Jennifer knock each other around a little. I think it'll be close throughout. Ultimately, however, I think somebody will probably stand at the free-throw line, with the game, with Elimination on her shoulders.

QUOTE(CycloneFan @ Feb 26 2007 - 11:28 AM) 826389890[/snapback]tonights Region 1AA and 1A Girls semifinal games:

Chuckey Doak Middle School:

6pm Elizabethton vs Unicoi

730pm South Greene vs Claiborne

Chuckey Doak High School:

6pm Cloudland vs North Greene

730 pm Unaka vs Washburn

The middle school and high school are virtually next door to each other.

Thanks Fan.

QUOTE(#12fan @ Feb 26 2007 - 10:41 PM) 826390948[/snapback]Can someone who was at the Eliz. - Unicoi game tonight fill me in? I heard that Eliz. was down by about 10 points with one minute remaining & won? WOW!! How did this happen & did S. Greene win? - Congratulations to the Lady Cyclones!

With 1.01 the score was 40-30. Unicoi led by 10. With 47 seconds left the score was 40 -39> Elizabethton ends up scoring 12 points in the final minute to win 42-40.

This is not Krich. Im just using his computer. Unicoi could not get the ball past Betsy's Full court Press after their two big girls and guard fouled out... They also could not get any calls down the stretch. The officials let them play and when this happens you must ajust and play the way the officials call. Elizxabethton did and won a great game/.

south greene lost i think by 1