Region 4AA MVP

DaCoach

we go back to the original question of what makes a MVP??

kayci is no doubt the single most valuable player to any team in the district - she carries the weight as she should -

someone of her size shooting 4-6 foot jumpers, who would not try to get the ball to her as much as possible - we do not know what the team would have done this year without her, we can speculate -- but truly do not know

she played well in the region -- two big games -- she *is* the MVP of her team and in those two games --- but I feel in tournament play, the MVP must go to one of the teams in the finals - and i don't think it should necessarily be the winner, as they could win by just a point --- and the losing team have a girl with a triple double -- and the winning team have six or seven girls who each scored, rebound and assists are in single digits --- so there you go ---- sometimes there is not obvious MVP on a winning team

i think kayci should be recognized -- the oldham girl for schs played two good games for the lady owls - several assists, steals and rebounds- she did nto have huge points, but hustled for them -

great season NEXT YEAR SHOULD BE FUN!!!

QUOTE(Bee_Fan20 @ Feb 27 2007 - 06:56 PM) 826392274[/snapback]Region MVP not only comes from someone in the championship game, but to the team that wins the tournament. Even though ferris had a good two games she will not get the MVP.

Granted the Ferris girl did have two good games. She is the dominate player for her team scoring more than half the points and she deserves all of the wonderful comments that she receives. But the MVP should come from the winning team of the tournament. And if Upperman wins tonight then I believe that Jennifer Maynard deserves the MVP. She has had two solid games as she did in the district. She sparked the team Monday night in the win over DCA. It takes more to be an MVP than just the most points. The MVP should be all around the best player on the floor. They should be a leader, a scorer, a rebounder, and play defense and Maynard has shown all of this qualities in the Region and all year long. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Guest Termite

QUOTE(Bee_Fan20 @ Feb 27 2007 - 06:56 PM) 826392274[/snapback]Region MVP not only comes from someone in the championship game, but to the team that wins the tournament. Even though ferris had a good two games she will not get the MVP.

I not sure whether Ferris deserves ths mvp or not..............but where does it say that the mvp comes from the championship game and the team that wins the tournament. If this were to be true...who votes, because everybody else is gone except for the 1st and 2nd place teams...........

MVP should go to the Most Valuable Player..........period....not to a player on a 1st or 2nd place team.........this is not a team award...it is a PLAYER award........

QUOTE(Termite @ Feb 28 2007 - 02:31 PM) 826393537[/snapback]I not sure whether Ferris deserves ths mvp or not..............but where does it say that the mvp comes from the championship game and the team that wins the tournament. If this were to be true...who votes, because everybody else is gone except for the 1st and 2nd place teams...........

MVP should go to the Most Valuable Player..........period....not to a player on a 1st or 2nd place team.........this is not a team award...it is a PLAYER award........

I'm not sure if the MVP award has to go to a player on either the 1st or 2nd place team, but Ferris will most likely be voted onto the All-Region team. If they do it the way most other sports do, then Smith Co. should receive one, DCA should receive one, and both Livingston and Upperman will receive two with the winning team getting the MVP. I also believe that the tournament director votes along with others from the region, but I am positive that the teams who receive an All-Region pick have already had their kids voted on. If you apply your philosphy of not having to be on a team in the championship game or be on the winning team then whose to say that a Macon Co. player or a White House player, a Station Camp player, or even a Goodpasture player shouldn't be able to receive the award? If they put up huge numbers, but their team still loses then is it fair to punish the winning team even though they earned that award for someone on their team?

QUOTE(Termite @ Feb 28 2007 - 02:31 PM) 826393537[/snapback]I not sure whether Ferris deserves ths mvp or not..............but where does it say that the mvp comes from the championship game and the team that wins the tournament. If this were to be true...who votes, because everybody else is gone except for the 1st and 2nd place teams...........

I mean no disrespect towards Miss Ferris when I say this, infact I have a huge amount of respect for her as a person and a basketball player. But my only reasoning for NOT giving her the MVP has more to do with leadership than with numbers. It is more of the intangible things that a person brings to the game. She is only a freshman, she will learn all of these things as she goes. I have no doubt about that. Wait, let me rephrase that. She is capable of learning all of that. She will get out of this game exactly as what she puts into it. If she wants to, desires to, she will be a big star in this game. Right now, I don't think the MVP belongs to her. She had a couple games with some great numbers. And she certainly deserves consideration, and to be in the MVP conversation. But I think that it probably is more deserved somewhere else...this year.

I think I am very fortunate to be new to this area, and to not have any preconcieved opinions about any of these schools/players. I have had a fairly neutral outlook on everybody. I have a small bias based on where my kids WILL be going to school after they move down here this summer, but I have still been able to keep an open mind on the rest of the kids.

I know she has not put up the numbers that she has been used to putting up, but I can tell you that Taylor kid is still the glue that holds her team together. She does not need to score to have a huge impact on how her team plays. Is she the MVP, no. But she brings the sort of intangibles that are needed to lead a team. She is a good leader. I would like for her to go off for 40 pts some night soon, just to remind people that she has not graduated yet!!!

QUOTE(gatorbillmsu @ Feb 28 2007 - 04:36 PM) 826393690[/snapback]I mean no disrespect towards Miss Ferris when I say this, infact I have a huge amount of respect for her as a person and a basketball player. But my only reasoning for NOT giving her the MVP has more to do with leadership than with numbers. It is more of the intangible things that a person brings to the game. She is only a freshman, she will learn all of these things as she goes. I have no doubt about that. Wait, let me rephrase that. She is capable of learning all of that. She will get out of this game exactly as what she puts into it. If she wants to, desires to, she will be a big star in this game. Right now, I don't think the MVP belongs to her. She had a couple games with some great numbers. And she certainly deserves consideration, and to be in the MVP conversation. But I think that it probably is more deserved somewhere else...this year.

I think I am very fortunate to be new to this area, and to not have any preconcieved opinions about any of these schools/players. I have had a fairly neutral outlook on everybody. I have a small bias based on where my kids WILL be going to school after they move down here this summer, but I have still been able to keep an open mind on the rest of the kids.

I know she has not put up the numbers that she has been used to putting up, but I can tell you that Taylor kid is still the glue that holds her team together. She does not need to score to have a huge impact on how her team plays. Is she the MVP, no. But she brings the sort of intangibles that are needed to lead a team. She is a good leader. I would like for her to go off for 40 pts some night soon, just to remind people that she has not graduated yet!!!

I have to agree with this post. I'm from Smith County and Love Smith County Sports. But MVP doesn't stand for who scores the most. MVP should come from the champion team of the region. The Most Valuable Player doesn't apply to any team that doesn't make it.

Guest Termite

QUOTE(jimbo44 @ Feb 28 2007 - 09:35 PM) 826394107[/snapback]The R4AA alltourn. team is:

DCA Caralisa Connell

LA Ashley Matthews

Upperman Jessie Borch-Jensen

Smith Co. Kayci Ferris

LA Kendria Kilgore

Upperman Chelsey Taykor

LA Britany Smith

LA Alison West

Upperman Jennifer Maynard

MVP

Upperman LaShay Davis

I agree with some previous post.... I didn't mean to imply that Ferris deserved the MVP. All I'm asking is ,.. is it a must the an MVP to play on the 1st or 2nd place team?......I agree that leadership and other intangibles must be considered in making a selection....not just scoring.

Glover... I disagree somewhat...I don't know that you can say the MVP doesn't apply to any team that doen't make it.....TEAM has nothing to do with MVP, other than the opinion that to get MVP you must play on the 1st place team.......