post players

iwannascore

i been watchin some college games on tv and seen sevral high school games this year. why ain't the big guys gettin the ball? post players don't bring the ball down the court so it seems like big guys are useless if nobody gets them the ball.

one team i seen last night lost (imo) cause they don't look at the center. just wondered waht you guys think.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have to agree with you. I recently watch a game at Chucky Doak. Hampton had two of the best post players I think I have seen. Guards looked for the three. Or threw the ball away after they hesitated will looking for the three and then tried to force it in.

Hey, I am sorry. I like the three as good as the next, but those big guy down low stand a better chance of scoring if you get them the ball. You serve a two fold purpose, score and/or draw the foul.

I could not believe the coaching and play calling wasn't geared around them. They even had a another big guy on the team that came of the bench. What 1a team has that many big post players and does not use them. I guess that is why they are at home and other teams continue to play.

AGREED!

Coaches need to teach them how to play. They also need to teach other teammates how to play to them.

If they are doubling down on one of your posts then someone is going to be open. Usually the other post. Post needs to be willing to shoot or pass. That still comes back to coaching.

This has been going on for years in girls and boys basketball. The guards control the offense. Most big players don't have the luxury of super speed or great ball handling skills. So they have to depend on the guards to get the ball to them. If a post has time to say "look I'm open", it's too late. The big guy needs to work to get open and to be a target, but there is a fine art to getting the ball to him, and most guards haven't mastered it yet. Post players need to be able to pull offensive boards. That may be the only look they get. And hey, it you score off the rebound 5-6 times, you're in double digits.

QUOTE(up2late @ Mar 5 2007 - 07:04 PM) 826400887[/snapback]This has been going on for years in girls and boys basketball. The guards control the offense. Most big players don't have the luxury of super speed or great ball handling skills. So they have to depend on the guards to get the ball to them. If a post has time to say "look I'm open", it's too late. The big guy needs to work to get open and to be a target, but there is a fine art to getting the ball to him, and most guards haven't mastered it yet. Post players need to be able to pull offensive boards. That may be the only look they get. And hey, it you score off the rebound 5-6 times, you're in double digits.

Your right, split second and it is gone. That game I watched a CD. Hampton's big guy, looked about 6'3" - 6'4". Not huge but could jump out of the gym and quick. I can only remember a few times that I have seen a kid that could jump that high. Looked like he had springs on him. A true coach's dream. He or the other post would have touched the ball everytime down the court. Not open, kick it back out and you have a guard set ready for the 3 ball, much better shot. Team looked to have some good talent, not much heart or team play.