Munford/Crockett County Game

SallyMae

QUOTE(SallyMae @ Mar 15 2007 - 09:33 AM) 826412798[/snapback]I was at this game last night and was appalled by the behavior of a couple of the Crockett County players. Congratulations to our boys from Munford who showed true sportsmanship on the field!

What happened?

• 4 weeks later...

QUOTE(westtennsports @ Apr 11 2007 - 01:26 PM) 826434996[/snapback]I've heard this whisper through the hills this season as well. I haven't seen the Cavs yet, so I won't pass judgement. However, the rumor mills (take them for what they are) say they yell and scream from the dugout, demean opposing players, and have had players tossed from games this year. New coach, so is that the issue?

WTS, What I saw was the domino effect. In this scenario a senior leader had a bad temper fit because he struck out. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> Another player followed suit, you know, mumbling, throwing the bat/helmet in the dugout,etc... /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> Coaches allowed the first one to get by, so he can't quite stop the second. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Before you know it, the coach is upset by a call, and guess what? More pitches throwing stuff in the dugout than the real pitchers on the mound. /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />

So all this talent is disfuntional due to their emotions. Not mentally tough at all. A good team misses out on being a great team.

It won't get better until they get some discipline.

QUOTE(SallyMae @ Mar 15 2007 - 10:33 AM) 826412798[/snapback]I was at this game last night and was appalled by the behavior of a couple of the Crockett County players. Congratulations to our boys from Munford who showed true sportsmanship on the field!

I agree with you, SallyMae, it seems that poor sportsmanship has become something of an epidemic. Our West Tennessee teams are becoming infected one by one and it is truly saddening.

QUOTE(JD64 @ Apr 13 2007 - 12:18 PM) 826436782[/snapback]New coach is not necessarily the problem. A handful of bad attitudes is the problem, but I personally know Coach Foust and he will have this problem solved by tournament time.

Too many upperclassmen playing for themselves instead of the team. Most have had positions just handed to them all of their lives instead of earning them. The problem in the Munford game stemmed from the fisrt player's dad is in the dugout, so nothing gets said. After that, how can you say something to the next offender?

Problems are getting better, and wii be much better next year when Coach Foust is rid of his senior class. (Not implying all seniors have caused problems).

I must say I was embarrassed at the game that night and quite surprised how things were (not) handled, but I am seeing some changes now.

QUOTE(Honestly @ Apr 16 2007 - 01:27 PM) 826438659[/snapback]Too many upperclassmen playing for themselves instead of the team. Most have had positions just handed to them all of their lives instead of earning them. The problem in the Munford game stemmed from the fisrt player's dad is in the dugout, so nothing gets said. After that, how can you say something to the next offender?

Problems are getting better, and wii be much better next year when Coach Foust is rid of his senior class. (Not implying all seniors have caused problems).

I must say I was embarrassed at the game that night and quite surprised how things were (not) handled, but I am seeing some changes now.

Why is the player's dad in the dugout?

QUOTE(Honestly @ Apr 16 2007 - 12:27 PM) 826438659[/snapback]Too many upperclassmen playing for themselves instead of the team. Most have had positions just handed to them all of their lives instead of earning them. The problem in the Munford game stemmed from the fisrt player's dad is in the dugout, so nothing gets said. After that, how can you say something to the next offender?

You obvioulsy don't know much about crockett county baseball or the personality of the player that your talking about. No one was more upset by his actions than his parents were. He made a mistake and he knows he made a mistake in his actions but if you know him you know that is totally out of character for him he just made a mistake and let the game get to him too much and it is ridiculous how much has been said about it but then again the talk is only there because of who he is. He has always played for his team and not for himself and it has payed off with a scholarship for 68,000.00 for 4 years of college and if you question that ask me at the game Thurs night to see a copy of it I'll bring it to the game and I'll be sitting on the deck.

QUOTE(hssportfanforever @ Apr 17 2007 - 10:05 PM) 826439911[/snapback]You obvioulsy don't know much about crockett county baseball or the personality of the player that your talking about. No one was more upset by his actions than his parents were. He made a mistake and he knows he made a mistake in his actions but if you know him you know that is totally out of character for him he just made a mistake and let the game get to him too much and it is ridiculous how much has been said about it but then again the talk is only there because of who he is. He has always played for his team and not for himself and it has payed off with a scholarship for 68,000.00 for 4 years of college and if you question that ask me at the game Thurs night to see a copy of it I'll bring it to the game and I'll be sitting on the deck.

hssportff, He is a good kid, and he does have some talent. However, don't kid yourself or anyone here that those temper tantrums were way out of character and were only a one time occurance. There are too many fans, parents, and coaches that know better. The reasons behind them don't matter. I hope for his sake, that he will get a handle on it or he will have trouble the next 4 years.

QUOTE(hssportfanforever @ Apr 17 2007 - 10:05 PM) 826439911[/snapback]You obvioulsy don't know much about crockett county baseball or the personality of the player that your talking about. No one was more upset by his actions than his parents were. He made a mistake and he knows he made a mistake in his actions but if you know him you know that is totally out of character for him he just made a mistake and let the game get to him too much and it is ridiculous how much has been said about it but then again the talk is only there because of who he is. He has always played for his team and not for himself and it has payed off with a scholarship for 68,000.00 for 4 years of college and if you question that ask me at the game Thurs night to see a copy of it I'll bring it to the game and I'll be sitting on the deck.

Never said that player wasn't a team player. I said too many of the upperclassmen were not team players.

As far as that incident goes, the way it was handled was the reason that some later incidents in the game were not handled. I was surprised- never saw that type of blow-up from him before. I don't think less of him as a person or player- my statement was that was the impetus behind some other incidents occurring that night.

And I will assure you I have been around Crockett County baseball many years and have been shocked the past couple of years with some of the behavior on the field and comments in the stands.

I agree. I played for Crockett County and graduated in 2004. We had a few players then that threw tantrums and I believe that these guys saw that and feel that they are suppose to act like that. They are wrong! High school baseball is not suppose to be like that. It is fun! You should play hard and leave it at that. There is no reason to ever argue with an Ump (that is the coaches job). Take whatever happens and just Play Ball!!