50% rule

QUOTE(philmeyer @ Mar 21 2007 - 10:04 AM) 826419287[/snapback]I think more clarification, mainly by TSSAA needs to be put out there. Our coaches were told by a member of the TSSAA that the rule meant you could not have more than 3 players from your school playing aau ball on the same team in the spring time while they were in school. Once school was out for the summer then there were no restrictions. The key line is "by students that will play the following season" This, as told by a TSSAA member, means that if more than 3 play on a spring team then they are in violation if those same players are on the high school team the following season. I don't know how they are going to enforce the rule anyway. Another question, if 4 play on an aau team together...who decides which player in ineligible?

The word up-and-down press row at the state BB tournament, the day the meeting was held, was that it would not affect AAU basketball. I don't remember who, precisely, said that so I guess I had better make absolutely sure as to the meaning as it involves AAU. I will do that.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 21 2007 - 10:11 AM) 826419299[/snapback]The word up-and-down press row at the state BB tournament, the day the meeting was held, was that it would not affect AAU basketball. I don't remember who, precisely, said that so I guess I had better make absolutely sure as to the meaning as it involves AAU. I will do that.

I just talked with the TSSAA office and, as I said earlier, the 50% rule does not affect AAU. The only time it could affect basketball would be from August (the beginning of school) to October (the beginning of BB practice).

I think what has confused people is the "during the school year" phrase. Why didn't they just say prior to the season for that sport? If they had, then how far back do you go to decide what is prior to the season? Right now is prior to next basketball season, for example, so there have to be some time parameters set. Also, just "prior to" volleyball and girls soccer is summer leagues (club teams) for volleyball and soccer. Without the "during the school year" phrase it would be unclear if those apply, also.

So, interpret "during the school year on a non-school team prior to the season" as just that.

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 21 2007 - 11:19 AM) 826419306[/snapback]I just talked with the TSSAA office and, as I said earlier, the 50% rule does not affect AAU. The only time it could affect basketball would be from August (the beginning of school) to October (the beginning of BB practice).

I think what has confused people is the "during the school year" phrase. Why didn't they just say prior to the season for that sport? If they had, then how far back do you go to decide what is prior to the season? Right now is prior to next basketball season, for example, so there have to be some time parameters set. Also, just "prior to" volleyball and girls soccer is summer leagues (club teams) for volleyball and soccer. Without the "during the school year" phrase it would be unclear if those apply, also.

So, interpret "during the school year on a non-school team prior to the season" as just that.

Thanks CoachT. Now that I read it the way you have placed the emphasis, it makes sense.

Two thoughts on Fall leagues -

A. Keep your AAU team together (as long as you have 3 or fewer from one school).

B. Form a 3 on 3 league. I would guess you could have multiple teams from the same school, just not on the same 3 person team.

Any other thoughts?