TEMPLE

Green_Acres

QUOTE(Pasture @ Mar 29 2007 - 08:11 AM) 826425626[/snapback]Having said all that I have said, I would like to move my chair to a different position at the table and look at things from a little different perspective.

I have struggled with some of the decisions Dr. Pearson made concerning the athletic program but in fairness to her, she has been away from the Temple system for some time now and has moved into a job at Temple that she has never done. Along with all the newness, she has had to deal with some difficult situations not having well established long term leadership. Coach Hall is a great guy but there was no way he could sustain Wadley's level of involvement and still keep up his university responsibilities. There were issues that continued to arise over Rob Eldridge, another new position and staff person. There was the issue of the football team and the Skogens leaving, etc. Recently, the hire of Caleb as the AD and basketball coach. The disgruntlement of not having Greg Brown. And in all honesty, and in accordance with "IOWNYOU"'s comments, Scott Chastain's mouth caused her and the school a lot of problems and probably had more to do with him not getting the AD position then he can even realize.

As I mentioned before, plenty of strong, capable leaders have emerged from the shadows of obscurity and shown themselves to great leaders. If Markham and Bouler made the decision to hire Caleb then I want to believe it is because he has the character for the job even though he may not have the experience. As qualified and as capable as Greg was for basketball and Scott was for the AD, there have been many questions raised as to their character. I personally believe that character is more important than experience. I read a book one time on leadership and the author, who was a major business owner and a Christian, said that the most important quality that he looked for in hiring an employee was character. His opinion was that he could train anyone to do a job but the one thing he could not give an employee was character.

As much as I have struggled with the logic of hiring Caleb, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. God's ways do not always make sense to us and I, for one, can look back over the early days of my life and feel a great sense of grattitude towards those who gave me a chance when I did not deserve it nor had earned it. God is the one who ultimately appoints people in leadership and He does so with out our consultation or suggestion.

Come on, Caleb! Give us all you have got. Show us the best stuff!

You have crossed the line when it comes to discussing people's character. How dare you get on the internet and talk about

character when you hide behind a fictitious name. I know better than anyone that Greg is not perfect he's just like the rest of

us a sinner saved by Grace and he will be furious with me for responding to this. It is amazing to me that now after four

years of coaching (majority of the time for free) one Region Coach of the Year title (last year as girl's coach) and now assistant

coach on the boy's state championship team we are questioning his character??? HOW DARE YOU! I guess character doesn't matter as long as it's free. If you have a question about Greg's character ask him. Better yet ask his family no one else knows him better or is any harder on him. When you say these things this hurts ALL of us.

May God Bless you and give you wisdom of the things which you speak because you do not have a clue.

Debbie Brown

nursedeb43@hotmail.com

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DebbieBrown @ Mar 29 2007 - 11:52 AM) 826425724[/snapback]You have crossed the line when it comes to discussing people's character. How dare you get on the internet and talk about

character when you hide behind a fictitious name. I know better than anyone that Greg is not perfect he's just like the rest of

us a sinner saved by Grace and he will be furious with me for responding to this. It is amazing to me that now after four

years of coaching (majority of the time for free) one Region Coach of the Year title (last year as girl's coach) and now assistant

coach on the boy's state championship team we are questioning his character??? HOW DARE YOU! I guess character doesn't matter as long as it's free. If you have a question about Greg's character ask him. Better yet ask his family no one else knows him better or is any harder on him. When you say these things this hurts ALL of us.

May God Bless you and give you wisdom of the things which you speak because you do not have a clue.

Debbie Brown

nursedeb43@hotmail.com

Debbie, I can see that you are new to "Coacht", at least to the whole posting thing here, and I would like to humbly suggest that before you "go off" on what you "think" someone has said about your son, you should take the time, possibly, to read ALL that they have said about your son. I have taken the time and trouble to go back over all seven pages of just this thread and copied my comments about Greg below. Please read them and realize that no one on this site is a Greg-hater - no one.

My statement was a true statement and there was no intention to hurt but only throw out possibilities as to why Greg was not seriously considered for a position that he has many times proven he is worthy of. There have been questions raised about his character and you know it. I was not attacking his character, only expressing that the administration may have had a problem with Greg. Apparently, they had some kind of problem with David's being the varsity girls' basketball coach this year. It appears that there may be some "Brown" haters but neither I nor anyone else posting on "Coacht" are part of that fellowship.

Now, Greg was interviewed and selected last year to be this year's head boys basketball coach. It was announced in the paper that he was the "man." I for one was thrilled when I read about it in the paper, seeing how he had proved himself the previous few years. You and I both know why Greg was not the head coach of the boys' basketball team this sease, do we not? Greg hiccupped. I did not think that it was something that was part of his proven character. He just made a mistake in judgment. We have all done that, unfortunately, for him, it was more costly. I have had the opportunity to observe Greg over the few years that he has been here and he has just down right impressed the heck out of me. Honestly, he showed what kind of character he really had by the way he jumped back on the sidelines during football and contributed tremendously there and then again on the bench with Skogen this year.

Again, I was only stating why it may have been that the administration failed to make sure that we had the best candidate for the job.

I think I may have more of a clue then you have given me credit for, but, regardless, I am very sorry for the misunderstanding and the obvious hurt it caused you. Would you please forgive me for my careless remarks?

"Greg Brown is most qualified and the best choice but I bet they (administration) flop again." (page 1)

"I agree. Greg has proven himself to be a good choice. He has been a "living" interview in progress the last few years. We have actually been able to observe what he is capable of and the administration needs to take note. Coach Wadley said of Greg last year that he thought Greg was probably the best up and coming coach in Chattanooga. Hire him now and let him coach for us and win another gold ball or let him slip through the cracks have to play against him later and lose." (page 2)

"As far as more qualified people for the job (Do I really have to tell anybody who they were), it seems to me that it would have been better to have had two people, one AD and one head basketball coach. Greg Brown is unquestionably better qualified to coach the basketball team than anyone else I have seen. Good players do not always make good coaches, so Caleb having played under Templeton and Wadley is not necessarily a qualification. Whereas, Greg actually sat on the bench as an assistant coach with Skogen and Wadley for three years. He head coached the varsity girls team and impressed EVERYONE with his abilities. Even Wadley said he thought Greg was probably the best up and coming coach in the area. Greg proved himself as the girls' coach last year and was selected as the boys' coach last year by people who actually knew something about what was going on. Caleb has not coached high school basketball, ever! Greg was intricately involved with the boys' success this year and was an obvious asset in winning the state title this year. So, Greg Brown, hands down, was a better pick for a boys basketball coach." (page 5)

"As far as the basketball position is concerned, I know that Greg interviewed for the position, so I must assume that he was interested in it. There really is not question as to whether Greg is more qualified for the job. I do not really know of anyone else that wanted the basketball job or was more qualified for it other than Greg." (page 7)

QUOTE(Pasture @ Mar 29 2007 - 11:28 AM) 826425698[/snapback]There were at least three candidates for the AD job that I can remember: Greg Brown, Scott Chastain, and Jeff Rector. They were last year's candidates and I am sure that they were still interested in the job this year, though I did not poll any of them, personally. There were more candidates than these but I cannot recall who they were or never heard specific names. But, the three that I mentioned are definitely more capable and more qualified for the job and I am confident that they all wanted the job.

As far as the basketball position is concerned, I know that Greg interviewed for the position, so I must assume that he was interested in it. There really is not question as to whether Greg is more qualified for the job. I do not really know of anyone else that wanted the basketball job or was more qualified for it other than Greg.

I am sure Greg is a good coach, but he has never been a head coach. Don't say he was the girls head coach because we all know Dan was listed as the head coach with TSSAA. So if you say Greg was the head coach there could be a violation since he was not certified to be the head coach.

Everyone knows that Greg is more qualified for the job.However, Greg didn't want that job.

Caleb has no idea what he's getting into.

I give him one to two years.

He won't get fired, in fact he might do a good job. He'll just get fed up with TEMPLE and the way they do business.

QUOTE(Pasture @ Mar 29 2007 - 10:55 AM) 826425779[/snapback]Debbie, I can see that you are new to "Coacht", at least to the whole posting thing here, and I would like to humbly suggest that before you "go off" on what you "think" someone has said about your son, you should take the time, possibly, to read ALL that they have said about your son. I have taken the time and trouble to go back over all seven pages of just this thread and copied my comments about Greg below. Please read them and realize that no one on this site is a Greg-hater - no one.

My statement was a true statement and there was no intention to hurt but only throw out possibilities as to why Greg was not seriously considered for a position that he has many times proven he is worthy of. There have been questions raised about his character and you know it. I was not attacking his character, only expressing that the administration may have had a problem with Greg. Apparently, they had some kind of problem with David's being the varsity girls' basketball coach this year. It appears that there may be some "Brown" haters but neither I nor anyone else posting on "Coacht" are part of that fellowship.

Now, Greg was interviewed and selected last year to be this year's head boys basketball coach. It was announced in the paper that he was the "man." I for one was thrilled when I read about it in the paper, seeing how he had proved himself the previous few years. You and I both know why Greg was not the head coach of the boys' basketball team this sease, do we not? Greg hiccupped. I did not think that it was something that was part of his proven character. He just made a mistake in judgment. We have all done that, unfortunately, for him, it was more costly. I have had the opportunity to observe Greg over the few years that he has been here and he has just down right impressed the heck out of me. Honestly, he showed what kind of character he really had by the way he jumped back on the sidelines during football and contributed tremendously there and then again on the bench with Skogen this year.

Again, I was only stating why it may have been that the administration failed to make sure that we had the best candidate for the job.

I think I may have more of a clue then you have given me credit for, but, regardless, I am very sorry for the misunderstanding and the obvious hurt it caused you. Would you please forgive me for my careless remarks?

"Greg Brown is most qualified and the best choice but I bet they (administration) flop again." (page 1)

"I agree. Greg has proven himself to be a good choice. He has been a "living" interview in progress the last few years. We have actually been able to observe what he is capable of and the administration needs to take note. Coach Wadley said of Greg last year that he thought Greg was probably the best up and coming coach in Chattanooga. Hire him now and let him coach for us and win another gold ball or let him slip through the cracks have to play against him later and lose." (page 2)

"As far as more qualified people for the job (Do I really have to tell anybody who they were), it seems to me that it would have been better to have had two people, one AD and one head basketball coach. Greg Brown is unquestionably better qualified to coach the basketball team than anyone else I have seen. Good players do not always make good coaches, so Caleb having played under Templeton and Wadley is not necessarily a qualification. Whereas, Greg actually sat on the bench as an assistant coach with Skogen and Wadley for three years. He head coached the varsity girls team and impressed EVERYONE with his abilities. Even Wadley said he thought Greg was probably the best up and coming coach in the area. Greg proved himself as the girls' coach last year and was selected as the boys' coach last year by people who actually knew something about what was going on. Caleb has not coached high school basketball, ever! Greg was intricately involved with the boys' success this year and was an obvious asset in winning the state title this year. So, Greg Brown, hands down, was a better pick for a boys basketball coach." (page 5)

"As far as the basketball position is concerned, I know that Greg interviewed for the position, so I must assume that he was interested in it. There really is not question as to whether Greg is more qualified for the job. I do not really know of anyone else that wanted the basketball job or was more qualified for it other than Greg." (page 7)

You are wrong I am not new to Coach T. I have been an avid follower for 4 years.

No one is any harder than I am on my kids ask them and they will tell you. Character should not have ever been brought into this. Please drop this you have "Intentionally" caused enough hurt. If you have anything else to say to me do so on

my personal e-mail. I respectfully ask you to keep my families name out of your comments.

So where are we now with this "discussion"? It sounds a little like when Coach Skogen resigned from football and sent his youngest son to Mc Callie! Temple weathered that storm, but are we now starting to see the EFFECTS of that? I mean, we can all argue about how good or bad Temple will be next year, but the bottom line is that the SKOGEN family is gone and that may never be replaced and they were worth three state championships!

QUOTE(DebbieBrown @ Mar 29 2007 - 01:08 PM) 826425794[/snapback]You are wrong I am not new to Coach T. I have been an avid follower for 4 years.

No one is any harder than I am on my kids ask them and they will tell you. Character should not have ever been brought into this. Please drop this you have "Intentionally" caused enough hurt. If you have anything else to say to me do so on

my personal e-mail. I respectfully ask you to keep my families name out of your comments.

Debbie, if you do not like what someone posts on a public message board then you can do what everyone else does: read the posts without commenting, read the posts and write your own thoughts or opinions, click the little "X" at the top right hand of the page, or don't let your fingers type out "www.coacht.com" in your browser's address bar.

If I really wanted to hurt your feelings, I could do that fairly easy, seeing how easy it was do when it was not done "Intentinally." /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> Where were your problems with your family's name when I was saying good things? Surely, you are smart enough to know that your family's name is locked in to the history of Temple and people will bring up the "Brown" name for many years, yet. You have no control over what people have said in the past but you certainly are influencing what they say in the future. I would think more carefully about what you say before you say it, if I were you. Just my opinion.

Im thinking that if anyone that is close to Sexton or the Sexton family is reading this, then they would be thinking about an exit plan from this mess.....Its just March, and just 3 weeks or so after winning the State Championship and from the outside view it looks as if the wheels are falling off....

QUOTE(Pasture @ Mar 29 2007 - 02:22 PM) 826425878[/snapback]Debbie, if you do not like what someone posts on a public message board then you can do what everyone else does: read the posts without commenting, read the posts and write your own thoughts or opinions, click the little "X" at the top right hand of the page, or don't let your fingers type out "www.coacht.com" in your browser's address bar.

If I really wanted to hurt your feelings, I could do that fairly easy, seeing how easy it was do when it was not done "Intentinally." /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> Where were your problems with your family's name when I was saying good things? Surely, you are smart enough to know that your family's name is locked in to the history of Temple and people will bring up the "Brown" name for many years, yet. You have no control over what people have said in the past but you certainly are influencing what they say in the future. I would think more carefully about what you say before you say it, if I were you. Just my opinion.

It's real easy to get on here and hide behind a fake name. At least she used her own name and offered

her personal e-mail address. You must feel real big talking to her like that.

QUOTE(bedhead @ Mar 29 2007 - 12:49 PM) 826425894[/snapback]It's real easy to get on here and hide behind a fake name. At least she used her own name and offered

her personal e-mail address. You must feel real big talking to her like that.

I AGREE!! GET OUT FROM BEHIND YOUR POWERFUL INVISIBILITY AND GIVE HER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS....YOU ARE A PANSY...SHE IS NOT....HAVE I MENTIONED YOU ARE A SCARED PATHETIC LITTLE MAN...OH AND SEXTON WILL NOT LEAVE A PLACE THAT HAS, AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE GOOD FOR HIM AND HIS FUTURE IN THE GAME OF BASKETBALL!!!

I would also like to add that she asked Pasture nicely. At least respect her wishes. If you were offended by someone's comments about someone in your family, wouldn't you react? This isn't coacht material. You're letting it get too personal, so for her sake, why not just email her?