Elizabethton To Hire New B-Ball Coach!

oldrangerhead76

Wait until everything plays out before you go crazy. Maybe you cannot be a coach and the AD and Payne chose to be a coach. Do not count Dugger out as Basketball coach until there is an announcement for the hiring of the new coach. If Weems leaves it will be because he wants to and not because who is in charge. He would be crazy to leave the team he has coming back.

I predicted late last year or earlier this year that there would be a new AD. Some of you told me I was crazy and had no clue. Do not doubt Robbie because I tell the truth.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told you guys 2 years ago about Ed and everybody got mad at me. Hate to say it but I told you so. Until you get ED out of Elizabethton, Etown will be making the news for all the wrong things. Its not about the kids it has not been since he got rid of Coach Hardin and others that just wanted to help kids in sports and in life.

Elizabethton High School was and still could be a great place when people start getting back to what it is for (Teaching and Coaching kids for life) not getting rid of each other to help your on goals....

Demoting Gil Payne is a joke. He didn't deserve it. Mark my word, Dobyns-Bennett will have more success in baseball after this season. Elizabethton will return back to the middle or bottom of the pack. Take that for what you will.

Something else to get everybody talking -- there will be a new head football or boys basketball coach at Elizabethton by the end of the month. Maybe girls coach too. It's about to pick up for better or worse.

RVD, come by and see us down at the office sometime. Long time no see. IF you and a couple others we both know might be interested in going down to the NWA Legends fanfest in Charlotte with a couple of us in August. Let me know.

---

Now - off topic for a minute - As for the guy who said T.A. Dugger could go to state in Cloudland's league this year. Cloudland's middle school team did beat T.A. Dugger this year. So, whoever made that comment is suggesting that Cloudland's middle school team is better than its high school team? I dunno about that man. Like someone else said on here, Class 1-A was much tougher THIS YEAR as a whole than Class 2-A. Most years, I would say no. But this year, yes. Cloudland, Hampton and University High were all good. Unaka was good at the beginning of the season before they fell back.

Payne is still the baseball coach. Maybe the AD job was just not for him. As far as boys basketball that is what everyone has been wanting a change. Nothing is going to happen with football until next year. Weems is not going anywhere unless something outside of school and coaching makes him want to quit or leave. I agree with RVD wait and see before you go crazy.

Staff changes proposed at Elizabethton High

By Ashley Carden

Star Staff

acarden@starhq.com

Ed Alexander, Interim Superintendent of Elizabethton City Schools, has proposed several faculty changes for the 2007-2008 school year for most if not all of the city schools, including a new principal at Elizabethton High School.

Alexander stated that the changes were "routine" and part of the "natural course of things."

"This is the time of year when these things start to happen," Alexander said. "It is still early but according to state and board policy we have to notify all certified personnel of any changes by April 15 and they have to be placed by May 15."

Alexander declined to comment on the exact personnel changes. He did state that any proposed changes would not be made final until the school board votes on the matter during their meeting on April 19.

"I can't speak about specific personnel," Alexander stated. "This is nothing against any one person. It is just a matter of course. I haven't spoken to the board members and can't speak as to what their inclinations are about it."

While there will be staff changes at other schools, it has been confirmed that the administrative team at Elizabethton High School will be changing for the next school year. Principal Catherine Edwards, Assistant Principal Mike Little, Assistant Principal Mark Norman and Athletic Director Gil Payne were all notified Tuesday that they would not be returning to their positions at EHS. However, it is reported that Payne will stay on as baseball coach.

"There was no explanation given as to why the change was to be made," Edwards said. "We were told that Alexander wanted to put his own administrative team in. I asked if I had done anything wrong and they told me no, but there was really no reason given."

Faculty who have tenure are given the options to return to the classroom or to re-apply for an administrative position. Edwards, who started at EHS last July, was told she could re-apply but would have to be placed within another school. She is under contract for the system until the end of June.

"I received a lot of support and a lot of phone calls from parents last night," Edwards said. "For me it will be business as usually until my contract runs out. I am going to get us through our SACS accreditation visit in two weeks and make sure these kids have a happy and safe graduation.

"I fully intend to be the principal of this school because that is what I do. This is a great school and it has a great faculty."

Edwards said she is not sure what she plans to do for next year and she is also not sure what the other administrative team members plan to do for the upcoming school year.