Edmondson out at Unionville

DNP

QUOTE(Wooden Jr. @ Apr 9 2007 - 11:59 PM) 826433677[/snapback]And how do you back up this comment? Do you know all who have applied? Have you watched their practices? Do you know their philosophies? I understand that Spencer is your guy and that is fine, but you have no idea about any other applicants. If you do, then please share.

Let me put this in a more professional tone. I truly believe that people that work hard should be given a chance and rewarded at some point. In this county, Coach Spencer has put in more time and effort towards girls basketball than any other person or persons besides Rick Insell and Mark Potts. With that being said and it is fact, I think #1- He deserves a chance over anyone else, #2- I think if you want to build a PROGRAM he knows how and he has the network to help him out, #3- He will be in it for the long haul, he is a young energetic person and not someone who may be tinkering on retirement age, and #4- Whether I'm a good friend, family member, agent, or possibly just a sports fan he will be in it for all the right reasons.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Charlie Pope applying for the job? Here is something to think about, What if both Charlie and Chad coached at the same school. They would compliment each other well. Ralph is a fine coach. But Ralph has retired once already, is he going to put the time in needed for our young ladies. I believe Looper will make a hire that will benefit our ladies for years to come. We need to change our mind set here at Cascade and all of us know that. Go Champs!!!!! Spencer hasnt been at Liberty for 8 yrs. has he? I think its more like 5 or 6. He has said many times he wants to coached High School at Cascade I dont think he would leave Liberty for no other job. However i did see him hanging with the Moore Co coaches last weekend.

QUOTE(Crunchtime @ Apr 10 2007 - 08:19 AM) 826433773[/snapback]Is Charlie Pope applying for the job? Here is something to think about, What if both Charlie and Chad coached at the same school. They would compliment each other well. Ralph is a fine coach. But Ralph has retired once already, is he going to put the time in needed for our young ladies. I believe Looper will make a hire that will benefit our ladies for years to come. We need to change our mind set here at Cascade and all of us know that. Go Champs!!!!! Spencer hasnt been at Liberty for 8 yrs. has he? I think its more like 5 or 6. He has said many times he wants to coached High School at Cascade I dont think he would leave Liberty for no other job. However i did see him hanging with the Moore Co coaches last weekend.

Any of the following three coaches would be great hires in no particular order. Coach Spencer, Coach Edwards, or Coach Tipps. I have no decision in this but I would personally say for the future of the girls basketball program I would go with a young successful coach and as far as successful goes all three of these coaches fit the description.

QUOTE(Treyvols99 @ Apr 10 2007 - 08:49 AM) 826433803[/snapback]Any of the following three coaches would be great hires in no particular order. Coach Spencer, Coach Edwards, or Coach Tipps. I have no decision in this but I would personally say for the future of the girls basketball program I would go with a young successful coach and as far as successful goes all three of these coaches fit the description.

Who really cares.. Its community..

I agree either coach would do a fine job. They have 2 very different coaching styles..With Justin Stallings leadership and Dustin White ball handling skills they should be ok for the next couple of years.. Not much talent moving up from the Jr.High or freshman level at Community. Cody and Kyle will have to carry the team after Justin and Dustin graduate, unless they have some transfers come in that can carry the ball. Let's remember not many coaches have lasted over 5 years at Community... As I stated before, parents get involved and push the good ones out. I'm sure most of you remember Jerry Burleson... 25 years ago same scenario. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

QUOTE(bballrocks @ Apr 10 2007 - 08:05 AM) 826433760[/snapback]Let me put this in a more professional tone. I truly believe that people that work hard should be given a chance and rewarded at some point. In this county, Coach Spencer has put in more time and effort towards girls basketball than any other person or persons besides Rick Insell and Mark Potts. With that being said and it is fact, I think #1- He deserves a chance over anyone else, #2- I think if you want to build a PROGRAM he knows how and he has the network to help him out, #3- He will be in it for the long haul, he is a young energetic person and not someone who may be tinkering on retirement age, and #4- Whether I'm a good friend, family member, agent, or possibly just a sports fan he will be in it for all the right reasons.

I can live with that opinion, thanks.

QUOTE(cascade11 @ Apr 9 2007 - 01:12 PM) 826433094[/snapback]I don't know where you got that the parents were going to tell the school board who to hire. There are too many people on these boards that want to disect everything a person says to the point that it becomes cumbersome to try and explain everything you say. Getting input from parents and players is what any smart person would do. We haven't had a good girls basketball program in a long time at Cascade and I personally would welcome suggestions as to what direction our program needed to go and what type of Basketball Coach fit our girls personalities. That isn't to say that anyone will influence the decision making, because I doubt they will, but if you have a popular person who is very qualified and in place at the school, common sense would dictate son be given first shot at the job! In reference to your second point, I personally have the utmost respect for Ralph and think he would do an excellent job with the team. He has a proven record and is very knowledgable about the game. Ask Charlie Pope what his opinion is.

Getting players and parents opinions is exactly the opposite of what a smart person would do. Personalities on a team change from year to year with roster changes and if you want a coach to stay for the long haul then trying to fit a coach to personalities right now is pointless. Popularity is of little use to because as soon as playing time is dealt coaches are rarely popular anyways.

I mean look at Edmondson. Does his job plays and starts the 5 best and parents whine and complain. That is the opinions you will get when asking parents - based on who will play their child. Regardless of what anyone after me says Edmondson played the BEST and was fired b/c of the unprofessionalism of parents and the administration. I mean how professional is it that Ralston even sat in on that meeting. An administrator who understands the trials of a coach will be loyal and it is beyond me why anyone else would even want to coach with this guy as their boss. If you took a poll of coaches around the district I guarantee they ALL would say that Coach Edmondson was a good coach and that the players off the bench were not as strong as the starters. So bottom line: if he is doing a good job (which he was) and he isn't abusing any players(which he was not) he should keep his job. He didn't so we can see who Ralston is listening too.

Back to the asking the parents though: Ask other coaches(the coach pope idea is solid) other administrators, people they have worked with, and if you ask players or parents ask the ones they have already coached (both the ones who played a lot and those who didnt). This will give you a good idea of who is right for the job.

QUOTE(grammar @ Apr 10 2007 - 08:16 PM) 826434260[/snapback]Getting players and parents opinions is exactly the opposite of what a smart person would do. Personalities on a team change from year to year with roster changes and if you want a coach to stay for the long haul then trying to fit a coach to personalities right now is pointless. Popularity is of little use to because as soon as playing time is dealt coaches are rarely popular anyways.

I mean look at Edmondson. Does his job plays and starts the 5 best and parents whine and complain. That is the opinions you will get when asking parents - based on who will play their child. Regardless of what anyone after me says Edmondson played the BEST and was fired b/c of the unprofessionalism of parents and the administration. I mean how professional is it that Ralston even sat in on that meeting. An administrator who understands the trials of a coach will be loyal and it is beyond me why anyone else would even want to coach with this guy as their boss. If you took a poll of coaches around the district I guarantee they ALL would say that Coach Edmondson was a good coach and that the players off the bench were not as strong as the starters. So bottom line: if he is doing a good job (which he was) and he isn't abusing any players(which he was not) he should keep his job. He didn't so we can see who Ralston is listening too.

Back to the asking the parents though: Ask other coaches(the coach pope idea is solid) other administrators, people they have worked with, and if you ask players or parents ask the ones they have already coached (both the ones who played a lot and those who didnt). This will give you a good idea of who is right for the job.

I'll tell you what there, Mr. Grammar, just because I don't have a screen name that implies that I may be smarter than I am doesn't give you cause to imply I'm an idiot. If my opinion is "just the opposite" of a smart person's there just may be some people that would say the same thing about some of your OPINIONS. Just to set the record straight, neither of my daughters plays basketball, nor plan to, so I wouldn't be one who should have any input on this decision anyway. I have been an athlete and coach for MANY years, and I can assure you that a Coach that comes into a situation as messed up as Cascade's girls program will need to have the girls and parents behind him to stand a fighting chance at turning things around. If you don't think that popularity is a key, along with winning, in any Coaching position, then you are extremely naive. It only makes sense to feel the community out and have a good idea of what type of Coach is going to be well received. I'm not saying that any of the Coaches mentioned so far would not make a great Coach and a welcome addition to our Faculty, I'm saying that there is no harm in soliciting a few opinions from Alumni, other Educators, other Coaches, and yes Parents. I'm sorry if that is a stupid opinion, but that is the great thing about this country, right or wrong, everyone is entitled to one! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(cascade11 @ Apr 11 2007 - 06:30 AM) 826434577[/snapback]I'll tell you what there, Mr. Grammar, just because I don't have a screen name that implies that I may be smarter than I am doesn't give you cause to imply I'm an idiot. If my opinion is "just the opposite" of a smart person's there just may be some people that would say the same thing about some of your OPINIONS. Just to set the record straight, neither of my daughters plays basketball, nor plan to, so I wouldn't be one who should have any input on this decision anyway. I have been an athlete and coach for MANY years, and I can assure you that a Coach that comes into a situation as messed up as Cascade's girls program will need to have the girls and parents behind him to stand a fighting chance at turning things around. If you don't think that popularity is a key, along with winning, in any Coaching position, then you are extremely naive. It only makes sense to feel the community out and have a good idea of what type of Coach is going to be well received. I'm not saying that any of the Coaches mentioned so far would not make a great Coach and a welcome addition to our Faculty, I'm saying that there is no harm in soliciting a few opinions from Alumni, other Educators, other Coaches, and yes Parents. I'm sorry if that is a stupid opinion, but that is the great thing about this country, right or wrong, everyone is entitled to one! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I think the school should try and get David Parker(younger brother of Kenny) to coach whatever. A real loss when David left to take a job in administration. I'm gonna make a statement like "bballrocks" David Parker is one of the best coaches in this town football, baseball and I'm sure he could do basketball well also. Good luck on getting a coach with quote, a situation as messed up girl's program.