Edmondson out at Unionville

DNP

Wow, being an outsider I just figured out that these two schools are in the same county. Are these the same two schools that were in the fight we read about earlier this year on the floor? Was this another reason the Unionville coach was let go? If so, why was the Cascade coach not? Seems that the names up for the jobs are local people who have been very successful but I was wondering why you would fire a coach with 20 years experience and replace him with a jr. high coach? Was Coach Spencer a great local high school player? What about the other candidates? Also, how do you decide a jr. high coach is a great "tactician"? Just wondering....this is really good stuff for us that don't have a dog in the fight.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Big Boy @ Apr 11 2007 - 10:09 AM) 826434724[/snapback]Wow, being an outsider I just figured out that these two schools are in the same county. Are these the same two schools that were in the fight we read about earlier this year on the floor? Was this another reason the Unionville coach was let go? If so, why was the Cascade coach not? Seems that the names up for the jobs are local people who have been very successful but I was wondering why you would fire a coach with 20 years experience and replace him with a jr. high coach? Was Coach Spencer a great local high school player? What about the other candidates? Also, how do you decide a jr. high coach is a great "tactician"? Just wondering....this is really good stuff for us that don't have a dog in the fight.

Spencer helped out with the girls high school program in Shelbyville for years and has been involved with AAU for just as long all of witch Coach Insell headed. He still has close ties to Rick at MTSU. Loves the game of basketball as much as anyone I've ever known.

The other coach you mentioned in that fight at Community was Cascade's Charlie Pope. He and Mike were both trying to restore order it just happened that Mike got to it first because it happened on his end. The play before that, Coach Pope could be heard yelling to an official and pointing to both kids telling him to "watch that situation" and as he was sending someone to the table to get his kid the whole thing went down. It was a sad, unfortunate incident that neither school condoned and both dealt with their own kids how they saw fit. I doubt that one incident had anything to do with Edmondson's departure, it probably didn't help it any but I doubt that was the "nail...". It is sad to see him go, he did a lot of good at Community and helped a lot of kids but I guess if you coach anywhere long enough you are bound to hack off enough people until someone comes along with a little backing and pull and finishes the job?! Ralston and everyone involved seem to have been placed in a "no win" situation and there is plenty to go around....as for Spencer, if you are a good coach it shouldn't matter what level you coach at.

QUOTE(baller88 @ Apr 11 2007 - 11:02 AM) 826434784[/snapback]The other coach you mentioned in that fight at Community was Cascade's Charlie Pope. He and Mike were both trying to restore order it just happened that Mike got to it first because it happened on his end. The play before that, Coach Pope could be heard yelling to an official and pointing to both kids telling him to "watch that situation" and as he was sending someone to the table to get his kid the whole thing went down. It was a sad, unfortunate incident that neither school condoned and both dealt with their own kids how they saw fit. I doubt that one incident had anything to do with Edmondson's departure, it probably didn't help it any but I doubt that was the "nail...". It is sad to see him go, he did a lot of good at Community and helped a lot of kids but I guess if you coach anywhere long enough you are bound to hack off enough people until someone comes along with a little backing and pull and finishes the job?! Ralston and everyone involved seem to have been placed in a "no win" situation and there is plenty to go around....as for Spencer, if you are a good coach it shouldn't matter what level you coach at.

Good info on the fight, sounds like a deal that neither coach could have helped. As for "being a good coach it shouldn't matter what level" I will have to disagree with. Having coached for 30 years on all three levels I can tell you there is a big difference. In Jr. High, there is very little pressure to win, fundamentals are being taught more than an emphasis on execution, parents make sure their kids are at practice and there is very little else for kids to do. In high school, you deal with kids having more on their plate. Coaches fight over the best athletes, kids quit and get jobs to pay for cars, dating, and there is a big difference in growth of the players. In Jr. High putting a 6th grader vs a 7th or 8th, not that much of a difference, but in high school and especially on the single A level where alot of times you have to play freshmen vs seniors it is a huge difference. In college, you become a salesmen and a mediator more than a coach. It's about recruiting and keeping them out of trouble and eligible. I really think alot of people miss the boat on coaching. There is not much left to be invented as far as x' and o's..it's alot about the players you have running them that matter. I hear alot of refernce to Coach Insell which is understandable, but what is reality is that he for the most part always had the better players, no matter where they were from. You learn as a coach from other successful coaches on how to run a program and how to manage a game. I am sure Coach Insell was a great mentor to several young coaches but don't be fooled that just because an apple falls from the tree that it is ripe. It's about players, and a willingness from that player to spend extra time at the game and when you are in a single A school and the best players play 2 and 3 sports, don't be surprised if they are good at all of them but not great at any of them. Ask Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban if there is a difference on the different levels.

QUOTE(Big Boy @ Apr 11 2007 - 11:58 AM) 826434865[/snapback]Good info on the fight, sounds like a deal that neither coach could have helped. As for "being a good coach it shouldn't matter what level" I will have to disagree with. Having coached for 30 years on all three levels I can tell you there is a big difference. In Jr. High, there is very little pressure to win, fundamentals are being taught more than an emphasis on execution, parents make sure their kids are at practice and there is very little else for kids to do. In high school, you deal with kids having more on their plate. Coaches fight over the best athletes, kids quit and get jobs to pay for cars, dating, and there is a big difference in growth of the players. In Jr. High putting a 6th grader vs a 7th or 8th, not that much of a difference, but in high school and especially on the single A level where alot of times you have to play freshmen vs seniors it is a huge difference. In college, you become a salesmen and a mediator more than a coach. It's about recruiting and keeping them out of trouble and eligible. I really think alot of people miss the boat on coaching. There is not much left to be invented as far as x' and o's..it's alot about the players you have running them that matter. I hear alot of refernce to Coach Insell which is understandable, but what is reality is that he for the most part always had the better players, no matter where they were from. You learn as a coach from other successful coaches on how to run a program and how to manage a game. I am sure Coach Insell was a great mentor to several young coaches but don't be fooled that just because an apple falls from the tree that it is ripe. It's about players, and a willingness from that player to spend extra time at the game and when you are in a single A school and the best players play 2 and 3 sports, don't be surprised if they are good at all of them but not great at any of them. Ask Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban if there is a difference on the different levels.

All I was saying was if you knew how to coach you would also know how to adjust, adapt, and be successful at most any level. I guess I should not have said, "any", thanks for challenging that. I too agree that you have to work with parents more and kids have more on their plates at the high school level.....having said that, if you can coach and be successful at the middle school level then given the right situation you can be successful at a higher level because you should know how to adjust to your environment and get the job done. I wasn't at either Washington or Miami but from all reports I have ever read, Spurrier liked to play golf alot and working at that level disrupted that and Saban tried to waear too many hats, being the general manager and the head coach, besides I am not sure how much those too guys hearts were into it at the pro level.

QUOTE(baller88 @ Apr 11 2007 - 12:28 PM) 826434894[/snapback]All I was saying was if you knew how to coach you would also know how to adjust, adapt, and be successful at most any level. I guess I should not have said, "any", thanks for challenging that. I too agree that you have to work with parents more and kids have more on their plates at the high school level.....having said that, if you can coach and be successful at the middle school level then given the right situation you can be successful at a higher level because you should know how to adjust to your environment and get the job done. I wasn't at either Washington or Miami but from all reports I have ever read, Spurrier liked to play golf alot and working at that level disrupted that and Saban tried to waear too many hats, being the general manager and the head coach, besides I am not sure how much those too guys hearts were into it at the pro level.

What does to College football coaches have to do with Community high school? nothing .

QUOTE(patriot1212 @ Apr 11 2007 - 03:20 PM) 826435117[/snapback]What does to College football coaches have to do with Community high school? nothing .

I agee. If Spencer learned from Insell he learned how to run a program from the one of the best. He ran the Eaglettes like a college team. Im sure Spencer could handle High School no problem. Whoever gets that job as alot to do to catch up with Forrest and others in that district. I cant wait for summer camps!!!!!