Games 3/25 to 3/31

lax4life32

Another thought, instead of the talk of having 1 division, why not do a third division. That way you would have all of the start up and second year teams a division where there would be competive with eachother and you wouldn't have the 26-0 blow outs.

Third Division may not be a bad idea (the problem is that D1 maybe small). What I mean is that the state is very top heavy with the about 6 programs (there are about 4 programs in D1 that stay somewhat competitive, but realistically have no shot a D1 title, but if they were in D2 they would have a real shot at a title).

IF the TSLA really wanted to level the playing field as much as possible.

D1 would have a bout 6 teams

D2 would have about 12 teams

D3 would have about 10-12.

then from year to year you may have a team or 2 move up from D2 to D1 and a couple moving up from D3 to D2, and having new teams move into D2.

Just a thought.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LXFAN @ Mar 30 2007 - 11:22 PM) 826426964[/snapback]Franklin is good.They have great athletes and are well coached. They probably should be in D-1, but who have they played so far this year? Also the talent in D-2 dropped off by far from last year. It will be interesting to see how they finish this year. If you look at the schedule, its possible that they could only lose one game. If that happens, I don't see how they could stay in D-2 next year. I believe a back to back championship is eminent!

Franklin is good for a D2 team. I watched them today play Brentwood and one of the main things i noticed they lack was a solid man up and left hand stick skills. So far FHS has only played D2 teams. They could definately win D2 State again and have a good chance at being in D1. They would be a good match for Houston, Webb, Farragut, University School, Father Ryan. Those games would be very close if not a loss for Franklin. Also in my opinion they dont stand a chance against MBA, McCallie, MUS, Ravenwood, Christian Bros. So far they have played Louisville Collegiate 14-4, Ensworth 15-3 , Webb-Knoxville 12-4 , JPII 16-2 , Hendersonville 15- , Cleveland 26-0 , Lausanne Collegiate 19-6 , Brentwood LC 14-3 but keep in mind the skill in D2 has dropped off enourmously from last year and these are all D2 teams with the excption of Louisville Collegiate.

Their first D1 Game is Father Ryan 4/11 and then Webb Bell Buckle 4/15 then Ravenwood 4/24. We will have to see how they handle Father Ryan and Webb

QUOTE(leonhardravenwoodlax28 @ Apr 2 2007 - 11:43 PM) 826428673[/snapback]Franklin is good for a D2 team. I watched them today play Brentwood and one of the main things i noticed they lack was a solid man up and left hand stick skills. So far FHS has only played D2 teams. They could definately win D2 State again and have a good chance at being in D1. They would be a good match for Houston, Webb, Farragut, University School, Father Ryan. Those games would be very close if not a loss for Franklin. Also in my opinion they dont stand a chance against MBA, McCallie, MUS, Ravenwood, Christian Bros. So far they have played Louisville Collegiate 14-4, Ensworth 15-3 , Webb-Knoxville 12-4 , JPII 16-2 , Hendersonville 15- , Cleveland 26-0 , Lausanne Collegiate 19-6 , Brentwood LC 14-3 but keep in mind the skill in D2 has dropped off enourmously from last year and these are all D2 teams with the excption of Louisville Collegiate.

Their first D1 Game is Father Ryan 4/11 and then Webb Bell Buckle 4/15 then Ravenwood 4/24. We will have to see how they handle Father Ryan and Webb

Cookeville and Franklin play each other this Thursday at Franklin. Cookeville won like 13-12 in OT last year at Franklin. This will probably be the biggest test for both teams in DII play.

QUOTE(cookevillelax @ Apr 3 2007 - 07:36 PM) 826429223[/snapback]Cookeville and Franklin play each other this Thursday at Franklin. Cookeville won like 13-12 in OT last year at Franklin. This will probably be the biggest test for both teams in DII play.

it was 9-8 and west knox might be able to put up a fight also

When considering to move up to Division 1 a team needs to do so with plans to competitively compete at that level and do so on a consistent basis. To do this a team needs talent and resources. Talent comes from having a middle school feeder program in place that gives the players 3 years of basic stick and passing skills and play execution. Resources include weight training facilities, financial support, a consisitent and committed coaching staff, and school support from their administration. In the private school sector this becomes mainly a financial commitment by the school to supply those resources. In the public sector where lacrosse is a club sport it usually falls on the parents themselves to make this happen. In the last couple of years Houston and Ravenwood have made that leap of faith. My guess is that they have succeeded in making the above happen, while other schools may not be so fortunate in achieving these goals. Talent pools can fluxuated greatly in D2 teams without a good feeder program. Until the sport becomes sanctioned there are going to be differences in resources available to the teams by the schools. Again, it is the resources and talent available to a team that should dictate their decision to make the move from D2 to D1. If a team moves that move prematurely, they will be doomed to failure. If a D2 team ever wants to win against the MBA, MCCallie, MUS, and now Ravenwoods of D1, they have got to be able to match their training programs in the off season as well as the regular season. This is where it falls on resources and school committment.

QUOTE(laxsage @ Apr 4 2007 - 09:21 PM) 826430247[/snapback]When considering to move up to Division 1 a team needs to do so with plans to competitively compete at that level and do so on a consistent basis. To do this a team needs talent and resources. Talent comes from having a middle school feeder program in place that gives the players 3 years of basic stick and passing skills and play execution. Resources include weight training facilities, financial support, a consisitent and committed coaching staff, and school support from their administration. In the private school sector this becomes mainly a financial commitment by the school to supply those resources. In the public sector where lacrosse is a club sport it usually falls on the parents themselves to make this happen. In the last couple of years Houston and Ravenwood have made that leap of faith. My guess is that they have succeeded in making the above happen, while other schools may not be so fortunate in achieving these goals. Talent pools can fluxuated greatly in D2 teams without a good feeder program. Until the sport becomes sanctioned there are going to be differences in resources available to the teams by the schools. Again, it is the resources and talent available to a team that should dictate their decision to make the move from D2 to D1. If a team moves that move prematurely, they will be doomed to failure. If a D2 team ever wants to win against the MBA, MCCallie, MUS, and now Ravenwoods of D1, they have got to be able to match their training programs in the off season as well as the regular season. This is where it falls on resources and school committment.

Excellent post.

I personally believe that lacrosse is much more fun to watch and play than baseball or softball so it will continue to grow in popularity.

I think that at some private schools lacrosse is considered a major sport so better athletes participate. McCallie and MUS have dominated the D1 state championships over the last decade. MBA won the state championship last year for the first time in 12 years because they had a coach who both understood the game and knew how to get the most out of every player on the team.