New Thoughts on forfeiting a game

Rabble Rouser

QUOTE(plowboy2 @ Mar 28 2007 - 03:15 PM) 826424969[/snapback]The DB were taught this weekend that winning isn't everything pal.They were out of pitching period.It is early Spring and we were just trying to get a few extra games against non-conf.teams.There is alot of baseball to play.If the Owls want DB so bad they should have put themselves in the same bracket with us.Get over it.Move on.It is only a game.

These aren't Owl fans that are talking. Grad is the only Owl fan here...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(plowboy2 @ Mar 28 2007 - 02:15 PM) 826424969[/snapback]The DB were taught this weekend that winning isn't everything pal.They were out of pitching period.It is early Spring and we were just trying to get a few extra games against non-conf.teams.There is alot of baseball to play.If the Owls want DB so bad they should have put themselves in the same bracket with us.Get over it.Move on.It is only a game.

My two cents:

We have had some wild games at Riverdale in tournaments over the year. As a matter of fact, one year over in Knoxville at the Sportsbelle we

were low in pitching because we had to make up a district game the week before the tournament but we put up a good showing with our back-up 3rd baseman

making his pitching debut and a couple of outfielders stepping on the mound for the first time since little league.

One year Farragut came to the Warrior Classic but had some games rained out just before the Tournament and the first thing Coach Pharr did was come

to tell us that if won his pool he wouldn't be able to play Sunday because of games coming up and we made plans accordingly. Luckily for us (maybe

not for Coach Farr and his great Farragut team) Oakland upset them for what I believe was their only loss that season and someone else ending up

winning the pool. But if Farragut had run the table we had already let other teams know what was going on... And Coach Pharr and the Farragut

kids and fans (a CLASS ACT THROUGH AND THROUGH - LOVE the throwbacks!) hated the fact the couldn't stay Sunday more than losing that game

to Oakland because they are 'baseball people'.

A better story is a few summers ago in 16-under tournament at Twitty City, a team ran out of pitching after making the finals and a tall skinny centerfielder

volunteered to pitch.

That centerfielder is pitching over in East Tennessee now: http://www.wscc.cc.tn.us/athletics/Basebal...20Woods%20C.htm

His stats in high school his senior year: "Went 10-0, with a 1.20 ERA, 100 strikeouts, and 6 saves."

And last weekend Riverdale made it to the semifinals and the 3rd place game right down the road from Ooltewah at the McCallie Scenic City Classic.

They ended up driving and hour and a half to play cross-town-rival Blackman and both teams started a sophomore and Riverdale threw some more

sophomores and ended up losing to the Blaze 6-2.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I am old-school. If you have a game on the schedule - play it. In a nutshell, isn't that what it is all about?

QUOTE(plowboy2 @ Mar 28 2007 - 01:15 PM) 826424969[/snapback]The DB were taught this weekend that winning isn't everything pal.They were out of pitching period.It is early Spring and we were just trying to get a few extra games against non-conf.teams.There is alot of baseball to play.If the Owls want DB so bad they should have put themselves in the same bracket with us.Get over it.Move on.It is only a game.

I'm not sure if I'm your pal, but limbaugh is right.....put in the freshman's mothers if you have to but live up to your committment or please stay home and save face from there!

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Mar 28 2007 - 11:28 PM) 826425441[/snapback]My two cents:

....I guess what I am trying to say is that I am old-school. If you have a game on the schedule - play it. In a nutshell, isn't that what it is all about?

Me thinks this horse has been beat to death.

Call Coach Ritz and schedule the "Ooltewah Championship game" during a vacant time that matches both schedules...the same parents will come and pay the same gate fee and buy the same soda pops and pop corn. All the money will be made up, and you will finally be able to put an "OK" stamp on the best team.

If we do this we can just name that team the state champions for 2007 and take our summer break early!

I find that so hard to believe that it still running back to the money...if it was money they would have called another team from the pool to come up and play....

Character building by staying an playing? That's a mighty big stretch there.....trying to sell that pink elephant to DB.

And now you also recommend for us to pull JV players off there roster...when they had games the following week as well???

Why has nobody mentioned pulling up the freshmen players yet??? or hey, lets just go get the middle school team and let them battle this out for us.

Wasn't it mentioned that we had 2 pitchers with full games left in there arms? And one pitcher who only threw about 3 innings was available as well. Yet you think we will "run out" at state tourney time??? Once again somebody needs to use their hat @@@@ and realize that when the time comes to pull out out the stops for wins DB coaches will do just that...until then you might like to know that this loss does not bother us in the least.

QUOTE(1moreDBmom @ Mar 28 2007 - 10:29 PM) 826425504[/snapback]Me thinks this horse has been beat to death.

Call Coach Ritz and schedule the "Ooltewah Championship game" during a vacant time that matches both schedules...the same parents will come and pay the same gate fee and buy the same soda pops and pop corn. All the money will be made up, and you will finally be able to put an "OK" stamp on the best team.

If we do this we can just name that team the state champions for 2007 and take our summer break early!

I find that so hard to believe that it still running back to the money...if it was money they would have called another team from the pool to come up and play....

Character building by staying an playing? That's a mighty big stretch there.....trying to sell that pink elephant to DB.

And now you also recommend for us to pull JV players off there roster...when they had games the following week as well???

Why has nobody mentioned pulling up the freshmen players yet??? or hey, lets just go get the middle school team and let them battle this out for us.

Wasn't it mentioned that we had 2 pitchers with full games left in there arms? And one pitcher who only threw about 3 innings was available as well. Yet you think we will "run out" at state tourney time??? Once again somebody needs to use their hat @@@@ and realize that when the time comes to pull out out the stops for wins DB coaches will do just that...until then you might like to know that this loss does not bother us in the least.

I guess you will never understand why subscribing to this type of situational ethics is wrong. It has nothing to do with who won or a trophy.

It basically boils down to one thing: Do the right thing

Since you need the help with this, the right thing would have been to either play, or inform the director on Saturday that you would not be finishing the tournament the team agreed to play in. Pretty simple really.

You are right about one thing. It's time to move.