What is the most popular formation in TN hs soccer and what are the pr

cchssoccer

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(cchssoccer @ Mar 29 2007 - 08:58 AM) 826425667[/snapback]I was wondering what formation different teams are using??? Does anyone use the Brazilian diamond up front?

4-4-2 is the most common and in high school there are lots of teams that play stopper/sweeper in defense, but im my personal opinion i think every team that has lots of defensive talent should lpay a flat back 4..any thoughts??

QUOTE(StateChamps07 @ Mar 29 2007 - 09:22 AM) 826425694[/snapback]4-4-2 is the most common and in high school there are lots of teams that play stopper/sweeper in defense, but im my personal opinion i think every team that has lots of defensive talent should lpay a flat back 4..any thoughts??

Yup.... 4-4-2 is what you mostly see. Bearden had a real weird lineup last season with no outside midfielders, but mostly I have seen the previous, though this year I think they ran a 4-3-1-2 against us. Sometimes you will see a 4-3-3.

Flat back four is great IF you have the speed to recover and the smarts to play it (as well as the talent). We have played teams that try it, but since they didn't have any depth with the sweeper, it cost them a lot of through balls and break aways. Most teams will do this and combine it with an offsides trap.

That one lone sweeper just gives the reassurance many defenders like on a sweep/stopper. I think alot of boys grasp the diamond in the back and do not want to change to a flat back. Personally, I love a

4-4-2. We are in a situation where a 4-3-3 is working, but only half the time. I see a big gap in the midfield when this is used. On a huge 130 by 75 field, I don't see why coaches play a 4-3-3..can't take care of the middle., unless you have lots of communication and that stopper fills the hole. Any Brazillian diamonds out there and how do you teach this?

I think teaching the flatback four in the context of a high school season is very challenging. It is very effective when all four positions (and their subs) are comfortable with each other and understand its theory. However, if only one defender "doesn't get it", it provides a good offensive team with an invitation to the goal. Our club teams almost always used it but in high school we usually played with a sweeper regardless of how many backs we deployed---usually four, sometimes five. Occassionally when we went with five in the midfield and three in the back, we still kept the center back deep and free of a mark.

QUOTE(StateChamps07 @ Mar 29 2007 - 09:22 AM) 826425694[/snapback]4-4-2 is the most common and in high school there are lots of teams that play stopper/sweeper in defense, but im my personal opinion i think every team that has lots of defensive talent should lpay a flat back 4..any thoughts??

The flat back 4 is a death trap. All it takes to beat that kind of defense, regardless of the defenders' talent, is an easy through ball or a backside switch. It also relies too much on the offside trap, and this could be effective if high school refs were better at making accurate(strongly stress this word) offside calls, but I've never found it logical to have your defense rely heavily on a referee's whistle.

QUOTE(cchssoccer @ Mar 29 2007 - 10:03 AM) 826425737[/snapback]Cool. I feel like many games are won in the midfield. I know it starts with the defense and you have to work it up, but if a team can dominate in teh mid, they usually come out on top. What do you think?

I agree completely. He who controls the midfield controls the pace of the game.

QUOTE(No1ScoresOnMe @ Mar 29 2007 - 02:29 PM) 826425918[/snapback]The flat back 4 is a death trap. All it takes to beat that kind of defense, regardless of the defenders' talent, is an easy through ball or a backside switch. It also relies too much on the offside trap, and this could be effective if high school refs were better at making accurate(strongly stress this word) offside calls, but I've never found it logical to have your defense rely heavily on a referee's whistle.

I disagree about the flat back four; although I do agree with the officials. The problem with running the flat back four in hs soccer is that it is difficult to find the right players and have enough time to train them properly in how to play the system. HS soccer is unique in that on the same team you could have a regional pool player and an average rec player on the same team. The coach has to find the right system to play for his team. He can't stay with a system, just because he likes it best. He must adjust what type of system he/she plays based on the players that he has available to him/her.

QUOTE(sccr11 @ Mar 29 2007 - 03:21 PM) 826425946[/snapback]I disagree about the flat back four; although I do agree with the officials. The problem with running the flat back four in hs soccer is that it is difficult to find the right players and have enough time to train them properly in how to play the system. HS soccer is unique in that on the same team you could have a regional pool player and an average rec player on the same team. The coach has to find the right system to play for his team. He can't stay with a system, just because he likes it best. He must adjust what type of system he/she plays based on the players that he has available to him/her.

Agreed. Those were the same thoughts going thru my head.

QUOTE(Soccer Gypsy @ Mar 29 2007 - 04:35 PM) 826425954[/snapback]Agreed. Those were the same thoughts going thru my head.

If played properly, through balls attempted against a good flat back are simply losses of possession. It is easy to beat a bad flat back but a properly trained flat back is a thing of beauty---especially when it transitions to the attack. There just isn't time or, usually, sufficient talent on most high school teams to get it right.

QUOTE(No1ScoresOnMe @ Mar 29 2007 - 02:29 PM) 826425918[/snapback]The flat back 4 is a death trap. All it takes to beat that kind of defense, regardless of the defenders' talent, is an easy through ball or a backside switch. It also relies too much on the offside trap, and this could be effective if high school refs were better at making accurate(strongly stress this word) offside calls, but I've never found it logical to have your defense rely heavily on a referee's whistle.

As a wing midfielder and sometimes striker, I agree. The officials are a problem when using flat back 4. I personally love playing against the flat back 4 because of break aways. If you have the speed perhaps or just very good understanding then the flat back four is the best though, because of the defensive wing attacks.