Predictions and comments for upcoming games

dins8

Any takers on the upcoming games? My predictions...all in good fun...

CAK/Webb

CAK 2-0. I have seen both teams play. I would have to take CAK on this one. They play a very poised and controlled game, but lack some creativity in the offensive third. I know, I know...Tarr is all this, all that, but it seems that he picks and chooses his moments. I like the Tarr kid more as a freshman who was dangerous and exciting. Now he seems to be less active (especially defensively); however, I still give the edge to CAK...well coached and disciplined. Webb will have a difficult time with this team.

South Doyle/Maryville 2-2. I have not yet seen South Doyle play, but I hear they can be dangerous. Maryville, I did see at the Bearden tourney. They are a bit unpredictable. They have great offensive spurts and talented kids in the middle of the pitch; they are also capable of putting goals in at the drop of a hat (they punished decent teams like McMinn Co. and Clarksville 8-0). However their defense seems a bit vulnerable. Their midfielders tend to not want to drop back in transition.

Oak Ridge 3 Alcoa 1. Alcoa is an interesting team to watch. I have got to believe that Oak Ridge will win this one being years ahead of Alcoa on the soccer field. But I have enjoyed what Alcoa's coach has done with his program. He has a few tricky players in the midfield and up top (#10 especially), but more importantly the team seems to have great chemistry. Furthermore, I think their keeper will keep them in any game. Look for Alcoa to be big on the 2A level; however, they will have trouble competing against bigger 3A schools that have 11 "good" players, rather than a few talented players. But hey, you only get better by playing bigger, better schools right?

Any takers on these games? Can't wait for bigger upcoming games like CAK/Catholic, Bearden/Farragut.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dins8, well thought out and well written.

Maryville vs. South Doyle: I don't know too much about South Doyle, though by looking at their results, seem to be doing pretty well. I give the edge to Maryville on this one, just based on a more challenging schedule so far this season, but I think it will be a close one. I predict 2-1 Maryville.

Oak Ridge vs. Alcoa: Oak Ridge will be steaming off a tough loss to Bearden last night. They also don't like the thought of losing to an A/AA team, so I think they will be fired up. This game will be played at Oak Ridge (which is a HUGE field) so it might be a tough adjustment for Alcoa (since their home field is nice, but rather small). Coach Gorman will have his boys ready for this one, though. Alcoa has good speed and a great keeper. Oak Ridge had some good size (i.e. Hatfield) and good ball skills. I'm actually going to go with a tie in this one 2-2. I predict Blaise will stop another PK. (how many is that in his career, Akula?) The hardest part for both teams is that they both have an opponent right before this game that probably won't tax them too much, but will not get them thinking fast enough in adjustment to a high pace game. Look for a goal to be scored in the first 5 minutes.

Having seen each of these teams play this season:

Webb vs CAK- Tarr seems to always break loose to score one. Webb seems to score with several players being dangerous. It's been a really competitive rivalry the past few years. I see this one going down to the wire.

Maryville vs South Doyle-Maryville is a little more skilled, but do not underestimate the toughness of South Doyle. In the end 3-1 Maryville

Oak Ridge vs. Alcoa- Alcoa should hang around and keep this one interesting, but in the end, Oak Ridge is probably a little deeper and playing on the big field, may wear Alcoa down. 2-1 Oak Ridge

QUOTE(turbocab @ Apr 4 2007 - 11:17 AM) 826429792[/snapback]Having seen each of these teams play this season:

Webb vs CAK- Tarr seems to always break loose to score one. Webb seems to score with several players being dangerous. It's been a really competitive rivalry the past few years. I see this one going down to the wire.

Maryville vs South Doyle-Maryville is a little more skilled, but do not underestimate the toughness of South Doyle. In the end 3-1 Maryville

Oak Ridge vs. Alcoa- Alcoa should hang around and keep this one interesting, but in the end, Oak Ridge is probably a little deeper and playing on the big field, may wear Alcoa down. 2-1 Oak Ridge

Is Tarr still in the midfield, or has he moved up top? I have only seen CAK once, so I am a bit ignorant on how he has performed lately.

QUOTE(dins8 @ Apr 4 2007 - 01:04 PM) 826429909[/snapback]Is Tarr still in the midfield, or has he moved up top? I have only seen CAK once, so I am a bit ignorant on how he has performed lately.

It really depends on the situation. He mostly starts up top, but then will shift to midfield or even stopper for a different "lineup". He has such good "ups", that we moved him back in the West game to counter the throw ins. He actually is a very good defender.

QUOTE(BigG @ Apr 4 2007 - 01:07 PM) 826429917[/snapback]It really depends on the situation. He mostly starts up top, but then will shift to midfield or even stopper for a different "lineup". He has such good "ups", that we moved him back in the West game to counter the throw ins. He actually is a very good defender.

I am sure Tarr can do just about anything he wants to do. I certainly wasn't trying to attack his defending abilities or his over overall talent. Earlier, I was just trying to imply that he doesn't seem as kinetic or as motivated as he was when he was a freshman. Sometimes I think talented uperclassmen get bored or complacent and tend to play up or down to the competition. I have the same problem with my kids; they just seem to get less humble and hard-working with each award they garner. Maybe I don't know enough about your system or about Tarr. I hope you don't take offense to my earlier posts.

Tarr is certainly a huge threat to score from anywhere at anytime but don't underestimate Webb's defense, who have played together for a long time, or the instincts of their sweeper. Both teams have a lot of talent all over the field and play solidly in every aspect. Looking at the recent history this game is almost a toss up. The quality of play is at the highest level and it should be a great, hard fought game; i think Webb's depth of talent helps them prevail in the end.

QUOTE(dins8 @ Apr 4 2007 - 01:17 PM) 826429931[/snapback]I am sure Tarr can do just about anything he wants to do. I certainly wasn't trying to attack his defending abilities or his over overall talent. Earlier, I was just trying to imply that he doesn't seem as kinetic or as motivated as he was when he was a freshman. Sometimes I think talented uperclassmen get bored or complacent and tend to play up or down to the competition. I have the same problem with my kids; they just seem to get less humble and hard-working with each award they garner. Maybe I don't know enough about your system or about Tarr. I hope you don't take offense to my earlier posts.

I took no offense what so ever. I was just trying to state that while he is known for his offensive prowess, not many people know that he is actually a very tough defender.

Funny you mention the complacency... we just had a long talk about that today at practice with the team. It can be a dangerous thing! I want my guys to push each other... starters and non starters alike.

maryville and oak ridge should win.

Webb vs. CAK should be a great game. Many players on each side have played with each other on club teams before so this should make for a great matchup. Webb showed great growth from the preseason yesterday in a win over west while CAK has the talented Brandon Tarr. A real toss up in my opinion.

I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring on this one.

South Doyle v Maryville: I have not seen SD play but have seen the results and I know in the past that they have some great players who are still there and will be dangerous. I've seen MHS a few times this year and know first hand how well they play. I think they will continue to improve. When you play so many young players that have talent then the experience they gain with tough competition only makes them more dynamic and dangerous. I think it goes to Maryville 2-1 in a great match.

Webb v CAK: We played them both in preseason(although CAK was on our field and Webb was away) and think these teams match up well. Both have a ton of skill and are well coached. I say this goes to the team that takes advantage of one more opportunity. Webb is tough in the back, but CAK knows how to attack. Webb creates well, but CAK has a great Keeper in Gorman(what a great name!) I go with CAK 1-0.

Oak Ridge v Alcoa: I just want to mention what an amazing scene I saw at the game against Bearden. The crowd was great, the field was nice, the atmosphere sent a chill down my spine. As a former SoccerCat, I appreciate the opportunity Oak Ridge has granted us in experiencing that feeling. We'll play hard and compete and see where we stand at the end of the match.

Thanks to all for kind words expressed about our program, we have come along way, which I believe is a compliment to the young men who play for us and their trust in each other. We also have a very wise man who mentors me almost everyday. Good luck to all.

Dins, where do you Coach. If you don't want to mention it here, email me at coachgorman@alcoasoccer.com I was really impressed with your insight.

South Doyle/Maryville: I think both teams have a solid mid field w/talented players in the middle, and the game will depend on whoever wins the battle in the middle. Other factors include what each team does on the wings, where i believe south doyle has an advantage. I also believe SD attackers will be able to take advantage of a weak maryville defense and put some goals in. however, SD does have starting center midfielder possibly out w/ankle injury. goalkeeping slants towards SD as well. should be a good game and crucial for both teams... we'll see how it turns out. SD 3 to 1

Webb over CAK if all webb players are healthy(not sure if stein is or not). CA and sisquo score for 2-0 webb vic.

Oakridge takes alcoa 2-0 as well, as i don't know much about either team, except that alcoa has gotten better