Portland beat Clarksville

Soccer27

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quite possibly a bit of both. portland has been squeaking em out all year, but its still a win for them. I think CHS just really lacks a lot fire power on offense this year. some people are out with injuries and others couldn't play this year. either way clarksville isn't having one of it's best years. hopefully they'll put everything together and make a strong showing the rest of the season.

QUOTE(MatWizard87 @ Apr 12 2007 - 10:55 PM) 826436429[/snapback]quite possibly a bit of both. portland has been squeaking em out all year, but its still a win for them. I think CHS just really lacks a lot fire power on offense this year. some people are out with injuries and others couldn't play this year. either way clarksville isn't having one of it's best years. hopefully they'll put everything together and make a strong showing the rest of the season.

Whatever... go Portlannd.. CHS has been week all year. Good win for the program!!

QUOTE(Soccer27 @ Apr 12 2007 - 09:24 PM) 826436287[/snapback]How good is Portland or is it how bad is Clarksville??

1-0

Portland (8-2)

Clarksville (3-6-1)

i think that comparing the two teams records is misleading. looking at the schedules of both teams. portland has gone untested in A-AA and AAA. we have only played and lost to two ranked team (MUS, briarcrest) both in div. II. although both of those game were great showings of our strengths, they were even better showing of our weakness's.

clarksville has lost to teams like Hendersonville, Bearden, and Brentwood some of which were land slides. now i wasn't able to see any of these games but the scores speak for themselves. they have a strong team who at some times in this game were giving portland a run for their money.

but overall at the end of next week we (portland) will have been tested by the other two leading teams in our distric (white house 4/14, station camp 4/17) and we will see just how strong we are.

::on a side note #13 a red headed freshman for clarksville, had an outstanding night and realy kept clarksville in the game. he'll be one to keep an eye on in the years to come.

QUOTE(Soccer27 @ Apr 12 2007 - 09:24 PM) 826436287[/snapback]How good is Portland or is it how bad is Clarksville??

1-0

Portland (8-2)

Clarksville (3-6-1)

I think Portland is a lot better than people give them credit for. A bunch of small town country boys don't build up a lot of expectations from the outside. Especially after the exodus of players from last year's sectional team (lost around ten players to graduation and transfers). This team is dealing with a lot of continuity problems that those type of holes can leave, but as can be told, they are holding firm. They have two foreign exchange students (Germany and Venezuela) that have had huge impacts and have helped this team establish itself as a solid soccer program in A/AA. Not great, but solid. The good news for them is that they have unlimited potential at this point, because of those continuity problems. If they resolve those, then they could be a dangerous team in the postseason.

Also, on a side note, Portland did not tie Sycamore 0-0. The game was cancelled due to weather, and for tournament purposes is being counted as tie. The game was never played and will not be rescheduled.

portland is a much better team than many people expect. and for those that say they aren't a good team, well, look at who won the wendy's cup. they were 4-0 in the cup. an A/AA team doesn't win those kind of games if they aren't good. They beat springfield 5-1. I was there. They dominated. springfield scored about half way through the second half and portland was already putting their jv on the field. the season is still progressing though. we'll see how it ends up

QUOTE(soccerislife8944 @ Apr 14 2007 - 02:12 PM) 826437470[/snapback]portland is a much better team than many people expect. and for those that say they aren't a good team, well, look at who won the wendy's cup. they were 4-0 in the cup. an A/AA team doesn't win those kind of games if they aren't good. They beat springfield 5-1. I was there. They dominated. springfield scored about half way through the second half and portland was already putting their jv on the field. the season is still progressing though. we'll see how it ends up

I seem to remember a similar tale being woven around this time last year... about a rather dominant Portland team that was virtually invincible on their home turf... until one particular game where it mattered most...

Not to take anything away from Portland. From what's being said, this team is one to look out for, and I can't wait to actually see them play in person. Just beware of the hype, Panthers... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

On a similar note, District 8 is a district that isn't granted near enough attention. Portland, Station Camp, and White House are all quality programs that are consistently good and competitive. Not to say that it is the best district by any means, but I know for a fact that these "country" boys can definitely play.

P.S.- The WH-Portland game was postponed today. Does anyone know when it will be rescheduled?

On a similar note, District 8 is a district that isn't granted near enough attention. Portland, Station Camp, and White House are all quality programs that are consistently good and competitive. Not to say that it is the best district by any means, but...

station camp is decent, but white house has been pretty weak. i'll give props to portland for their win in the Wendy's cup, but it should be noted that against the 2 best teams in the tourney, they squeaked out 1-nil wins. i'm not takin anything away from em, but they're not as strong as ppl are sayin they are...anyway, props to portland. peace.

QUOTE(No1ScoresOnMe @ Apr 14 2007 - 10:59 PM) 826437700[/snapback]I seem to remember a similar tale being woven around this time last year... about a rather dominant Portland team that was virtually invincible on their home turf... until one particular game where it mattered most...

Not to take anything away from Portland. From what's being said, this team is one to look out for, and I can't wait to actually see them play in person. Just beware of the hype, Panthers... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

On a similar note, District 8 is a district that isn't granted near enough attention. Portland, Station Camp, and White House are all quality programs that are consistently good and competitive. Not to say that it is the best district by any means, but I know for a fact that these "country" boys can definitely play.

P.S.- The WH-Portland game was postponed today. Does anyone know when it will be rescheduled?

Portland vs. WH is seldom won by the better team when it comes to tournament time. A few years ago, WH was clearly the better soccer team, but Portland always found a way to come away with the district titles (yes, WH won the region, though that does not disprove my point). Last year, Portland was clearly the better team, but WH still found a way to come away with the region title (oddly enough after Portland won the district). Portland dominated play in last year's region championship, but WH did the thing that is most important and that is put one in the net. I think that is what makes this rivalry so much fun is that the better team wins on about a 50% clip. This year, Portland is clearly the better team again, but that means nothing to the scoreboard. The game has been rescheduled for this Friday.

I would also like to say that Station Camp is vastly underrated and how they have managed to fly so far under the radar this year is almost impressive. They will give Portland a game and I would not be surprised at all if they put a dent in Portland's record. I think we will have a similar result this year as we did last, 0-0 stalemate.

QUOTE(Go Big Blue Soccer! @ Apr 15 2007 - 06:32 PM) 826438090[/snapback]station camp is decent, but white house has been pretty weak. i'll give props to portland for their win in the Wendy's cup, but it should be noted that against the 2 best teams in the tourney, they squeaked out 1-nil wins. i'm not takin anything away from em, but they're not as strong as ppl are sayin they are...anyway, props to portland. peace.

They also squeaked out a 1-0 win over a team that powerhouse Notre Dame squeaked out a 1-0 win. So if that is not strong, then I think they will take it at this point in the season.