HITTING

pujo

QUOTE(E5 @ May 1 2007 - 12:47 PM) 826449193[/snapback]Great point. Which model do you prefer? Level, down, or rotational?

Look out Pujo!!!!! E5 has dropped the rotational bomb! I to am a believer now that I researched the facts and saw the proof in photos and videos. Most old school coaches don't want to accept it because it is different, but E5 is new age all the way. I digress. Rotational hitting is the now and future. It's all about matching the plane of the swing to the plane of the pitch and letting the hips lead the hands. I am sure E5 can explain it in much more detail. I am a recent convert and am still learning the intracacies of this method.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(cbg @ May 1 2007 - 11:33 AM) 826449175[/snapback]IMO, the Instucto Swing is much better than a Tee because it prevents kids from being able to drop their hands and it forces a short compact swing. The only problem is that they are not cheap.

I like the instruccto swing, but I also think you should level out when you hit the ball. Also, if you don't pay close attention to the kids ,they learn to cheat. I also like the fence drill.

QUOTE(Homerun King @ May 1 2007 - 01:11 PM) 826449210[/snapback]Look out Pujo!!!!! E5 has dropped the rotational bomb! I to am a believer now that I researched the facts and saw the proof in photos and videos. Most old school coaches don't want to accept it because it is different, but E5 is new age all the way. I digress. Rotational hitting is the now and future. It's all about matching the plane of the swing to the plane of the pitch and letting the hips lead the hands. I am sure E5 can explain it in much more detail. I am a recent convert and am still learning the intracacies of this method.

King,

I am a four year convert and spent a week in Denver this summer. In hindsight, had I took the initiative to do my own study, I would have believed the first time I saw the information. The "this is all I know and all I care to know" system is hurting many player's potential. But as you well know...nobody can talk you into change...you have to see for yourself.

E5

QUOTE(pujo @ May 1 2007 - 01:19 PM) 826449218[/snapback]I like the instruccto swing, but I also think you should level out when you hit the ball. Also, if you don't pay close attention to the kids ,they learn to cheat. I also like the fence drill.

Pujo,

See how many of your hitters can stand 14 inches from the fence and get their bat through without hitting the fence. This is the best "hands inside the ball" fence drill IMO.

QUOTE(Homerun King @ May 1 2007 - 12:11 PM) 826449210[/snapback]Look out Pujo!!!!! E5 has dropped the rotational bomb! I to am a believer now that I researched the facts and saw the proof in photos and videos. Most old school coaches don't want to accept it because it is different, but E5 is new age all the way. I digress. Rotational hitting is the now and future. It's all about matching the plane of the swing to the plane of the pitch and letting the hips lead the hands. I am sure E5 can explain it in much more detail. I am a recent convert and am still learning the intracacies of this method.

I don't think its "different" or "new age". Unless you consider Ted Williams "different" or "new age". Read his book, and these are the hitting methods you will find. He even uses a sketch of a golfer and hitter to illustrate hip rotation. That photo makes most coaches today cringe.

CC

QUOTE(ccriders25 @ May 1 2007 - 12:52 PM) 826449196[/snapback]Please do not compare yourself to E5. E5 is like the Wizard of Oz. None of us have ever seen him, but we are all aware of him and his coaching genius. I have heard several rumors of his looks, but they are just rumors. One old woman with a glass eye told me that E5 was considered as a stunt double for Lt. Dan from Forest Gump. Apparently once Lt. Dan lost his legs, he and E5 were about the same height. Again, no one should compare themselves to the legendary E5, unless you can dominate Peter Gammons in a baseball discussion.

CC

CC,

You are so kind and your words flatter me. But I am no different from any other student of the game. May all your children have the baseball skill of "Blue Gill Bill."

E5

QUOTE(ccriders25 @ May 1 2007 - 01:23 PM) 826449227[/snapback]I don't think its "different" or "new age". Unless you consider Ted Williams "different" or "new age". Read his book, and these are the hitting methods you will find. He even uses a sketch of a golfer and hitter to illustrate hip rotation. That photo makes most coaches today cringe.

CC

CC,

Are you coming over to the dark side? While Williams' book shared the theory, Epstein along with Williams has made it teachable. If you are a convert, I would love to add you to my staff. Have your people call my people. Some friendly advice...never use Dippin Johnie's cell phone...the mic end of it is a bit messy.

E5

QUOTE(E5 @ May 1 2007 - 01:21 PM) 826449225[/snapback]Pujo,

See how many of your hitters can stand 14 inches from the fence and get their bat through without hitting the fence. This is the best "hands inside the ball" fence drill IMO.

Power starts at the feet. "Squash the bug" with the back foot. Teach them to get on the ball of their foot when they turn on the back foot. Back knee should bend at behind the front knee and front leg should be straight on impact.

Take the knob of the bat to the plane of the ball. Keep barrel up.

Keep hands inside the ball. Never, ever teach "hit it out front" unless its an inside pitch. Getting hands out too fast will result in numerous strikeouts later on when changeups and breaking pitches become the norm.

QUOTE(pujo @ May 1 2007 - 12:29 PM) 826449233[/snapback]I like the rotational swing, although, I think you start down at the beginning. Ialso like for the hips and shoulders to lead the hands. Next question ,how much weight do you want on the front foot.

Well, in E5's case, he generally has about 240 pounds on his front foot at any given time. As far as hitters go, I'd say that weight transfer is tricky. What you want to watch is the hitters head. Does his weight transfer cause his head to move forward? This is not ideal. Unless you want to be sawed off every pitch (like theone hitting fungo)

CC

QUOTE(turnin two @ May 1 2007 - 01:31 PM) 826449238[/snapback]Power starts at the feet. "Squash the bug" with the back foot. Teach them to get on the ball of their foot when they turn on the back foot. Back knee should bend at behind the front knee and front leg should be straight on impact.

Take the knob of the bat to the plane of the ball. Keep barrel up.

Keep hands inside the ball. Never, ever teach "hit it out front" unless its an inside pitch. Getting hands out too fast will result in numerous strikeouts later on when changeups and breaking pitches become the norm.

Unless the hitter can suspend the Laws of Physics, "squishing the bug" will cause the weight to slide forward and the hands will move with the hips.

Go to Yahoo.com, click on Sports, go to MLB photo gallery and compare the percentage of barrels "up" to barrels "below" the hands.

Again on the issue of "hitting it out front," look at game at bats of well struck balls at any level and see what you find.

PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY WORD ON ANYTHING. DO YOUR OWN RESARCH AND BASE IT ON "WHAT REALLY HAPPENS."

QUOTE(pujo @ May 1 2007 - 01:29 PM) 826449233[/snapback]I like the rotational swing, although, I think you start down at the beginning. Ialso like for the hips and shoulders to lead the hands. Next question ,how much weight do you want on the front foot.

IMO,

Hitting is an athletic movement. Like all athletic movements, balance is the key. A hitter's weight should be balanced when the front heel drops. At that point, I feel the hips lead the hands, the hands lead the barell, and the barrel finds the ball. I have a picture of my son hitting when he was four and he had the perfect approach to the ball...in terms of rotational hitting...and then I spent several years messing him up.