lets talk about william blount baseball

sportsrmylife

I have been around a while in the knoxville area, moved away and came back and nothing really has changed since i went to school here. It has grown though, and lots of cars on the roadways, but it surprises me that blount county schools arent doing better than they are in the major sports. Is it because they dont have the money to pay good coaches? From what i can gather the coaching staff on the football team has improved tremendously. But what about baseball? There has been some pretty good talent go thru wb in the past 4-5 years, but they never get past the district tournament. I have a son that will be attending wb in the next few years or so and he and i love sports in general, but mostly baseball. I go to a lot of the games, but dont see the coaching it needs to get better and win the big games. Does anyone have any insight that i just might be missing? Or does there need to be a change in the county school system that alocate more money for coaches? Good coaches. someone please enlighten me...

QUOTE(sportsrmylife @ May 5 2007 - 09:00 PM) 826452660[/snapback]I have been around a while in the knoxville area, moved away and came back and nothing really has changed since i went to school here. It has grown though, and lots of cars on the roadways, but it surprises me that blount county schools arent doing better than they are in the major sports. Is it because they dont have the money to pay good coaches? From what i can gather the coaching staff on the football team has improved tremendously. But what about baseball? There has been some pretty good talent go thru wb in the past 4-5 years, but they never get past the district tournament. I have a son that will be attending wb in the next few years or so and he and i love sports in general, but mostly baseball. I go to a lot of the games, but dont see the coaching it needs to get better and win the big games. Does anyone have any insight that i just might be missing? Or does there need to be a change in the county school system that alocate more money for coaches? Good coaches. someone please enlighten me...

I'm ignorant about Blount County. Are Maryville and Alcoa separate school districts from Blount County?

QUOTE(sportsrmylife @ May 5 2007 - 10:00 PM) 826452660[/snapback]I have been around a while in the knoxville area, moved away and came back and nothing really has changed since i went to school here. It has grown though, and lots of cars on the roadways, but it surprises me that blount county schools arent doing better than they are in the major sports. Is it because they dont have the money to pay good coaches? From what i can gather the coaching staff on the football team has improved tremendously. But what about baseball? There has been some pretty good talent go thru wb in the past 4-5 years, but they never get past the district tournament. I have a son that will be attending wb in the next few years or so and he and i love sports in general, but mostly baseball. I go to a lot of the games, but dont see the coaching it needs to get better and win the big games. Does anyone have any insight that i just might be missing? Or does there need to be a change in the county school system that alocate more money for coaches? Good coaches. someone please enlighten me...

sounds like you have deep pockets and a big mouth, why don't you coach'm up.

QUOTE(LCborn @ May 5 2007 - 09:17 PM) 826452679[/snapback]I'm ignorant about Blount County. Are Maryville and Alcoa separate school districts from Blount County?

Yes. Alcoa is a separate school system. Maryville is also a separate school system. I teach at William Blount and there are plenty of good coaches at this school. The problem with baseball is not the coaching. It stems from the District is the TOUGHEST in the state. Farragut has won 5 state championships in the past 7 years and South

Doyle has been overloaded with talent. Maybe this year will be different as WB beat Farragut yesterday to move one game away from advancing. By the way, the salaries at Maryville and Alcoa are much better than Blount County schools. For example, with my 14 years experience and an EDS, I would be making around $8,000 more at Maryville and $10,000 more at Alcoa (that is to teach).

QUOTE(etcoach @ May 7 2007 - 06:48 AM) 826453249[/snapback]Yes. Alcoa is a separate school system. Maryville is also a separate school system. I teach at William Blount and there are plenty of good coaches at this school. The problem with baseball is not the coaching. It stems from the District is the TOUGHEST in the state. Farragut has won 5 state championships in the past 7 years and South

Doyle has been overloaded with talent. Maybe this year will be different as WB beat Farragut yesterday to move one game away from advancing. By the way, the salaries at Maryville and Alcoa are much better than Blount County schools. For example, with my 14 years experience and an EDS, I would be making around $8,000 more at Maryville and $10,000 more at Alcoa (that is to teach).

that is a huge difference in salary

QUOTE(krylon @ May 6 2007 - 12:10 PM) 826452842[/snapback]sounds like you have deep pockets and a big mouth, why don't you coach'm up.

WELL I WASN'T TRYING TO SAY THAT THEY HAVE BAD COACHES, I WAS JUST SAYING THAT IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE TWO COUNTY SCHOOLS DON'T GET THE MONEY THEY NEED TO PAY THEIR COACHES WELL LIKE THE 2 CITY SCHOOLS. LIKE SOMEONE JUST SAID, $8,OOO MORE JUST FOR TEACHING, WOW. WHY? THEY ARE IN THE SAME COUNTY. BLOUNT COUNTY SCHOOLS OVERALL ARE GREAT SCHOOL SYSTEMS, THAT'S ONE OF THE REASONS I MOVED BACK HERE. I HAD A CHOICE TO SEND MINE TO EITHER MARYVILLE OR WB AND I CHOSE WB. THINK I MADE A GOOD CHOICE. THE MIDDLE SCHOOL HAS REALLY GOOD TEACHERS AND COACHES. AND I AM LEARNING THE SAME ABOUT WBHS. AS FOR "COACHING 'EM UP" WE'LL SEE. I WON'T COMMENT ON THE OTHER BECAUSE YOU'VE SHOWN THAT 'S WHAT YOU HAVE.

I WAS AT THE GAME AT FARRAGUT AND YES WB DID BEAT FARRAGUT. THEY DID REALLY WELL AND AARON GARLAND PITCHED A GOOD GAME. HE GAVE UP 7 OR 8 HITS ON 3 RUNS AND HIS DEFENSE BACKED HIM UP WELL. WB DESERVES THE RECOGNITION, THEY DON'T GET THE RESPECT SOMETIMES. FARRAGUT IS A GOOD TEAM. THEY ALWAYS SEEM TO BRING UP SOLID PLAYERS EVEN WHEN THEY ARE REBUILDING AND HAVE A YOUNG TEAM. PHARR DOES AN EXCELLENT JOB FOR THEM. CHARLIE PULEO DOES A GREAT JOB WITH THE WB BOYS AS WELL, IT JUST SEEMS LIKE HE NEEDS HELP WITH THE "SMALL BALL" ASPECT OF THE GAME. THAT WILL WIN GAMES FOR YOU TOO.

HOPEFULLY THEY WILL COME OUT TONIGHT AGAINST SOUTH DOYLE AND STEP UP. THEY ARE BEATABLE. JUST LIKE EVERYONE. THATS BASEBALL. YOU JUST NEVER KNOW WHAT CAN HAPPEN.

QUOTE(wingman10 @ May 7 2007 - 07:02 AM) 826453260[/snapback]that is a huge difference in salary

That is nothing. I live in Mt.Juliet (Wilson Co.) and teach in Metro Nashville to make over $15,000 more for doing the exact same job, coaching included. That is Masters + 30 and coaching two sports. We could hardly get by when I was at MJ. Their coaching supplements are decent, but their teacher pay is a joke.

QUOTE(bigchief @ May 7 2007 - 08:15 AM) 826453354[/snapback]That is nothing. I live in Mt.Juliet (Wilson Co.) and teach in Metro Nashville to make over $15,000 more for doing the exact same job, coaching included. That is Masters + 30 and coaching two sports. We could hardly get by when I was at MJ. Their coaching supplements are decent, but their teacher pay is a joke.

I understand but at least Metro Nashville is about 20 minutes away from Mt.Juliet and is another county. Maryville and Alcoa are both in Blount County.

What an excellent game last night at SD. WB's pitcher Tyler Burstrom was on all night and held the Kees to only 3 hits. It was heart breaking to let up that homerun in the sixth and Wb could not get the bat on the ball to score any of the runners left loaded on the bases. Burstrom showed some real strength on the mound for the Governors, and just a junior. He has the potential to do great things for this team this year and next. Holland had an excellent showing also and with 16 strikeouts to boot. Burstrom had 8 or 9 SO and only walked 2 with 3 hits. It's hard to hold a team that good to 3 hits. The govs play today at 6:30 against the winner of the Maryville/ LC game being played at 4 both at SD. Good luck to all.