South Doyle v. D-B

quittalkingandplay

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ May 18 2007 - 11:50 PM) 826462484[/snapback]I have no seen DB play but i will have seen SD play i to me they was the best team i saw play this year they can hit top to bottom and their pitching was deep they pitched their 4 against us and handled us very well and they tattooed one of our better pitchers so do me a favor

STOP SAYING DB CHOKED

this SD team is a VERY GOOD TEAM and in my opinion has a very good chance to win state

good luck in the boro SD

Now I don't recall saying that DB choked. Call it whatever you want. This is an ongoing issue. But then you wouldn't know would you down there is mid state. Not really sure why you felt it necessary to make the comment. You fail to moderate this board and put an end to people calling each other names (or wait way too long to do so) and then you demand that nobody say that DB choked.

Any of us that are talking about this issue are not putting SD down. They are a great team and will very likely win state. They were absolutly better than DB last night and I already have made comments to this effect as well as congratulating them.

Ya know, I'd like to see your x-football coach come to DB to see what he can do for the playoff situation there. Who knows, maybe MBA will offer the current FB head coach a job - gain, and this time he'll take it. Not sure I want your baseball coach tho.

QUOTE(XxYyZz @ May 19 2007 - 01:36 PM) 826462831[/snapback]No, it's not a guess. Know for sure their top players did not play on travel teams. Their top players rarely do, and when they do they pay a price. Very much discouraged by coach who likes to keep them together to play area "summer ball" which is a joke. Even the smaller schools don't have all their kids there in the summer, so they're not even playing the best in the area. But, they win a lot of games and can walk around talking about how they're going to dominate and will "win state". That's said every 3 or 4 years. Only, they never do -- don't even get there. Can't tell you about this team this season and the Science Hill games specifically. Have held back from suggesting the team "choked" as some have said, though they must have felt a tremendous amount of pressure. It's been predicted that this senior class at D-B would "win state" in football and baseball and get to the state tourney in basketball since they were in grade school. As Waco points out, the end result in post-season play for many D-B teams (in multiple sports) is most often the same -- big talk before and during the season but still never get as far as predicted. Happens year in and year out. The constant in that is not players because they come and go. The constant is the coaches and the organization of their programs. And, maybe the problem is coaches identifying their "star" players when they're 9 or 10 and never watching again to see if those kids really mature and progress as players. And, they often don't watch other kids who may be in "weak classes" or late bloomers. Anyway . . . just my opinion.

Well, I think your opinion makes as much sense as anything. But who has the power to make the changes that are necessary by overriding these coaching decisions? The AD? Not likely.

Well, at least they have class.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBGRAD70 @ May 19 2007 - 04:38 PM) 826462971[/snapback]Now I don't recall saying that DB choked. Call it whatever you want. This is an ongoing issue. But then you wouldn't know would you down there is mid state. Not really sure why you felt it necessary to make the comment. You fail to moderate this board and put an end to people calling each other names (or wait way too long to do so) and then you demand that nobody say that DB choked.

Any of us that are talking about this issue are not putting SD down. They are a great team and will very likely win state. They were absolutly better than DB last night and I already have made comments to this effect as well as congratulating them.

Ya know, I'd like to see your x-football coach come to DB to see what he can do for the playoff situation there. Who knows, maybe MBA will offer the current FB head coach a job - gain, and this time he'll take it. Not sure I want your baseball coach tho.

Well, I think your opinion makes as much sense as anything. But who has the power to make the changes that are necessary by overriding these coaching decisions? The AD? Not likely.

Well, at least they have class.

i saw alot of people was talking about DB choking and i was defending both DB and SD i do know how good SD is from playing them.

As far as moderating this board if you only knew how much i have edited or deleted you might have alittle more respect however if i miss somthing there is a roprt button or you canPM me and let me know the post and i will take care of it and i have done so in the past so if i miss somthing as there are lots of thread and lots of posts and i cant possibly see and read them all please roport it and i will take care of it

thank you

QUOTE(WaCoJaCo @ May 19 2007 - 08:36 AM) 826462676[/snapback]I wonder if anybody keeps such records as most playoff appearences without a championship? DB has most football wins in the state, most baseball wins in the state, and most basketball wins in the nation, but have never even come close to winning a state championship. You can make all the excuses you want, choking, coaches, weak schedules, etc. Wheather your a DB fan or not, just think about it. History has shown that in the regular season DB can play some of the best teams in the state and win, or at least be in a position to win right up to the last second. Put them in a playoff game and they will lose 90% of the time. This has been the fact for 40+ years. I can't explain it. Maybe there is a jinx, if there is such a thing. I just know Morristown West must be felling pretty low knowing they lost a playoff game to DB. Anyway, Im putting another million dollars on DB losing in the first round of the playoffs in football this upcoming season. Anybody want any of that action?

If it were not for taking 4 teams from a 7 team conference, DB would be in the stands watching the first round next year. They lost 18 starters and as XYZ points out, they have not given much attention to other players focusing only on "the best group of athletes DB has ever had" (Hogwash). J City will beat DB in football this year. With my million plus your 2 million we could almost build DB another multi million dolar weight room to produce superstars..

QUOTE(XxYyZz @ May 19 2007 - 01:36 PM) 826462831[/snapback]No, it's not a guess. Know for sure their top players did not play on travel teams. Their top players rarely do, and when they do they pay a price. Very much discouraged by coach who likes to keep them together to play area "summer ball" which is a joke. Even the smaller schools don't have all their kids there in the summer, so they're not even playing the best in the area. But, they win a lot of games and can walk around talking about how they're going to dominate and will "win state". That's said every 3 or 4 years. Only, they never do -- don't even get there. Can't tell you about this team this season and the Science Hill games specifically. Have held back from suggesting the team "choked" as some have said, though they must have felt a tremendous amount of pressure. It's been predicted that this senior class at D-B would "win state" in football and baseball and get to the state tourney in basketball since they were in grade school. As Waco points out, the end result in post-season play for many D-B teams (in multiple sports) is most often the same -- big talk before and during the season but still never get as far as predicted. Happens year in and year out. The constant in that is not players because they come and go. The constant is the coaches and the organization of their programs. And, maybe the problem is coaches identifying their "star" players when they're 9 or 10 and never watching again to see if those kids really mature and progress as players. And, they often don't watch other kids who may be in "weak classes" or late bloomers. Anyway . . . just my opinion.

Will the new TSSAA rules change summer travel teams?

Summer rules will not change anything.Same thing as XYZ has pointed out.He had some very good points.But you know,these boys have been playing baseball since the end of Jan.I think they are a little tired.They play 3-4 times aweek and some weekend tournaments.All the way thru spring break right into district and regions.Then they will start summer ball which xyz has pointed out,playing against players who have already signed to colleages,and some highly talented players.They see great pitching.It does not matter if they are together or not as a high school team.The coaches are seeing what they have for next year.I get a feeling reading between the lines that XYZ has a bad taste in his mouth from prior events.Maybe his kid was one of those who was brushed aside as he said happens.There is a lot of politics in Kingsport,in all the sports.Tends to leave a bad taste.It is very hard to play more than two sports anymore.It is time for football work outs and summer baseball is gearing up.Kids really don't get to enjoy their summer breaks much at all if involved in sports.Xyz DB was overated this year,but who rated them.They did the best they could.The big 9 is not as hard as some Knox. conferences because Knox. has more population.More talent.DB has no control over who is in the conference.They play the hand that is dealt to them.Who decides who the players are is up to the coaches.They have to live with it.I am dissappointed that we go out in the first round in everything.Maybe someday that will change.

QUOTE(DBWATCHDOG @ May 21 2007 - 10:18 AM) 826463930[/snapback]If it were not for taking 4 teams from a 7 team conference, DB would be in the stands watching the first round next year. They lost 18 starters and as XYZ points out, they have not given much attention to other players focusing only on "the best group of athletes DB has ever had" (Hogwash). J City will beat DB in football this year. With my million plus your 2 million we could almost build DB another multi million dolar weight room to produce superstars..

Will the new TSSAA rules change summer travel teams?

DB has not had much trouble beating "Top" teams in regular season play. Be it Oak Ridge, MBA, South or Tennessee High. However, their history playoff record is a complete joke. I have laid blame on the coaches more than once but if you look it really doesn't matter who the coach is. Even the great Buck Van Huss couldn't win a championship at DB. Can't blame it on the athletes as they had the talent to win the state in football basketball and football this year alone. You will have the DB haters saying all this stupid stuff about what the problem is but just take a honest look back at all the years DB has had the chance to win it all in all three sports and come up empty handed. I bet theres not a high school in America that has had the amount of regular season wins and playoff appearences as DB and no Championships. Actually DB has never even come close to winning it all. Just as an example of what im talking about. Three years ago DB beat Oak Ridge in regular season football by 17 points, then played them again in the playoffs that same year and lost by 10. A 27 point turn around from regular season to playoffs. DB was ranked #1 in the state (of cource) and had the better team. Then explain the performance of this years baseball team in the playoffs? Its almost like they went brain dead. Sure, South Doyle has a good team, but 8-0 is a joke. Morristown West must feel terrible knowing they actually lost to DB in a playoff game.

I have seen a real difference in the attitudes of some players and fans that have attended DB sports for years. Its like the wind has been let out. I think the support will start to drop off and the excitment will be gone in years to come. There really is nothing to play for when you have no chance to win it all. Im glad I have a plan B.

QUOTE(WaCoJaCo @ May 21 2007 - 11:35 AM) 826464040[/snapback]DB has not had much trouble beating "Top" teams in regular season play. Be it Oak Ridge, MBA, South or Tennessee High. However, their history playoff record is a complete joke. I have laid blame on the coaches more than once but if you look it really doesn't matter who the coach is. Even the great Buck Van Huss couldn't win a championship at DB. Can't blame it on the athletes as they had the talent to win the state in football basketball and football this year alone. You will have the DB haters saying all this stupid stuff about what the problem is but just take a honest look back at all the years DB has had the chance to win it all in all three sports and come up empty handed. I bet theres not a high school in America that has had the amount of regular season wins and playoff appearences as DB and no Championships. Actually DB has never even come close to winning it all. Just as an example of what im talking about. Three years ago DB beat Oak Ridge in regular season football by 17 points, then played them again in the playoffs that same year and lost by 10. A 27 point turn around from regular season to playoffs. DB was ranked #1 in the state (of cource) and had the better team. Then explain the performance of this years baseball team in the playoffs? Its almost like they went brain dead. Sure, South Doyle has a good team, but 8-0 is a joke. Morristown West must feel terrible knowing they actually lost to DB in a playoff game.

I have seen a real difference in the attitudes of some players and fans that have attended DB sports for years. Its like the wind has been let out. I think the support will start to drop off and the excitment will be gone in years to come. There really is nothing to play for when you have no chance to win it all. Im glad I have a plan B.

QUOTE(WaCoJaCo @ May 21 2007 - 11:35 AM) 826464040[/snapback]DB has not had much trouble beating "Top" teams in regular season play. Be it Oak Ridge, MBA, South or Tennessee High. However, their history playoff record is a complete joke. I have laid blame on the coaches more than once but if you look it really doesn't matter who the coach is. Even the great Buck Van Huss couldn't win a championship at DB. Can't blame it on the athletes as they had the talent to win the state in football basketball and football this year alone. You will have the DB haters saying all this stupid stuff about what the problem is but just take a honest look back at all the years DB has had the chance to win it all in all three sports and come up empty handed. I bet theres not a high school in America that has had the amount of regular season wins and playoff appearences as DB and no Championships. Actually DB has never even come close to winning it all. Just as an example of what im talking about. Three years ago DB beat Oak Ridge in regular season football by 17 points, then played them again in the playoffs that same year and lost by 10. A 27 point turn around from regular season to playoffs. DB was ranked #1 in the state (of cource) and had the better team. Then explain the performance of this years baseball team in the playoffs? Its almost like they went brain dead. Sure, South Doyle has a good team, but 8-0 is a joke. Morristown West must feel terrible knowing they actually lost to DB in a playoff game.

Well said.What's plan B?

here's a thought. i think teams like Farragut and DB take for granted how difficult the playoffs are. they expect to be there every year and they expect to win because they have the name on their chest. that's exactly what happened to Farragut this year in districts. they expected to breeze through it till the championship game, go to regionals, then substate, and make it to state. and they finished somewhere like 5-6. i think that happens to DB pretty much every year. they think because they had a good regular season, its a given they're going to state. but it doesnt always work out that way. thats my opinion

QUOTE(plowboy2 @ May 21 2007 - 01:08 PM) 826464029[/snapback]Summer rules will not change anything.Same thing as XYZ has pointed out.He had some very good points.But you know,these boys have been playing baseball since the end of Jan.I think they are a little tired.They play 3-4 times aweek and some weekend tournaments.All the way thru spring break right into district and regions.Then they will start summer ball which xyz has pointed out,playing against players who have already signed to colleages,and some highly talented players.They see great pitching.It does not matter if they are together or not as a high school team.The coaches are seeing what they have for next year.I get a feeling reading between the lines that XYZ has a bad taste in his mouth from prior events.Maybe his kid was one of those who was brushed aside as he said happens.There is a lot of politics in Kingsport,in all the sports.Tends to leave a bad taste.It is very hard to play more than two sports anymore.It is time for football work outs and summer baseball is gearing up.Kids really don't get to enjoy their summer breaks much at all if involved in sports.Xyz DB was overated this year,but who rated them.They did the best they could.The big 9 is not as hard as some Knox. conferences because Knox. has more population.More talent.DB has no control over who is in the conference.They play the hand that is dealt to them.Who decides who the players are is up to the coaches.They have to live with it.I am dissappointed that we go out in the first round in everything.Maybe someday that will change.

I thought I read somewhere that the new TSSAA rules would limit the number of players from one high school playing on one travel team (5 players?) Speaking of no summer break, I heard summer football workouts started this morning @ 6:30 am. Whats up with that? Did they open a Starbucks in that $4.5 million dollar weight room? No high school kid is going to be at his full potential for working out at 6:30. Is there a new Sheriff in town?

QUOTE(DBWATCHDOG @ May 21 2007 - 03:18 PM) 826464146[/snapback]I thought I read somewhere that the new TSSAA rules would limit the number of players from one high school playing on one travel team (5 players?) Speaking of no summer break, I heard summer football workouts started this morning @ 6:30 am. Whats up with that? Did they open a Starbucks in that $4.5 million dollar weight room? No high school kid is going to be at his full potential for working out at 6:30. Is there a new Sheriff in town?

That's right on the players,but the time I think will only affect fall baseball.There is an 8:00 am work out time also.Clark said he would have a hard time getting the coaches to the 6:30am session.No new sheriff yet,time will tell.

QUOTE(braves4life @ May 21 2007 - 02:54 PM) 826464132[/snapback]here's a thought. i think teams like Farragut and DB take for granted how difficult the playoffs are. they expect to be there every year and they expect to win because they have the name on their chest. that's exactly what happened to Farragut this year in districts. they expected to breeze through it till the championship game, go to regionals, then substate, and make it to state. and they finished somewhere like 5-6. i think that happens to DB pretty much every year. they think because they had a good regular season, its a given they're going to state. but it doesnt always work out that way. thats my opinion

I agree,we were on a down hill spiral all thru the district and regionals,like I said before,on cruise control.Somewhere along the way,A coach has to inspire into his team its time to play your best ball.You have to make things happen.Waiting for somebody to hit a homer is not going to get momentum in your favor.The coach or coaches have to get the team mentally ready and fired up!That's my opinion.

the downward spiral didnt start in district it started during the game at elizabethton when DB barely squeaked out a win. Now the only event that happend between that game and game b4 was an injury to DBs right fielder maybe they just got 2 confident coming back down 6 runs on a great elizabethton team or something but the team that played all the regular season games never played a game in the playoffs imo