Steroids in TN Football

BackinTN

I agree..something needs 2 be done but doubt it will be. Random testing is the only way. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> It is a shame that TSSAA can't find ref's to ump the games any better or find people to mandate & enforce the rules but there are alot of improvements to the sports that TSSAA should be able to handle. This is where the priority should be the health & welfare of the future and the future is the youth. I also agree w/ Lost Old Dad that it should start at home.. make the point clear that it will not be aloud at your house period!! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Lost Old Dad @ Jun 6 2007 - 06:56 PM) 826472287[/snapback]Better question is WHAT position does couga14 hold with the TSSAA presently? Or is it just a kissing up statement to the TSSAA in general?

For myself the TSSAA could go away permanately and I would NOT miss them at all. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

As an aside with the new higher tax the legislature just passed on cigarettes they could spend some of that on testing!

Why would I kiss up to the TSSAA? So they'll buy me a plus membership.

If there is a steroid problem then something should be done, however; I think it should mostly be the school's responsibility.

QUOTE(couga14 @ Jun 6 2007 - 10:41 PM) 826472391[/snapback]Why would I kiss up to the TSSAA? So they'll buy me a plus membership.

If there is a steroid problem then something should be done, however; I think it should mostly be the school's responsibility.

Because the 'schools' have already shown they will do NOTHING about it until they are forced to. That leaves it to the TSSAA and they are doing NOTHING also.

That leaves it to us as parents or the Legislature.

I do NOT care who's feet I stomp on here when it come to steroids, I just want it STOPPED! It is not fair to the game and more importantly it is dangerous for the kids. Facing facts it could and will kill kids if it is not stopped.

QUOTE(Lost Old Dad @ Jun 7 2007 - 07:32 AM) 826472448[/snapback]Because the 'schools' have already shown they will do NOTHING about it until they are forced to. That leaves it to the TSSAA and they are doing NOTHING also.

That leaves it to us as parents or the Legislature.

I do NOT care who's feet I stomp on here when it come to steroids, I just want it STOPPED! It is not fair to the game and more importantly it is dangerous for the kids. Facing facts it could and will kill kids if it is not stopped.

Amen. And you are exactly right about it being useless to leave it to TSSAA and individual schools. My concern is the random testing. Random has been shown to be easily fooled and manipulated. If it is legislated, I'm sure the state could fund some kind of program where all athletes are tested. At such large numbers, the cost of individual test would decrease dramatically. There are already fairly inexpensive tests out there. Two issues with even that; there is no reliable test for HGH, and with the large numbers involved, the schools would almost certainly have to administrate the test. And we are kind of back to the same problem. I wonder if it would be possible to make it part of the physical that every athlete must undergo every year, and then add random testing on top of that, so athletes couldnt only lay off a few months prior to the physical in order to pass.

QUOTE(couga14 @ Jun 5 2007 - 11:39 PM) 826471899[/snapback]backintn are you some former disgruntled former TSSAA employee or something. First, you start this post asking if there is a problem in Tennessee and then a post later you say that you know for a fact there is. If you know this, then why ask unless you are just looking to get stuff started.

Backintn, I didnt read your posts that way. This thread has been very good. No trash talk of a player or schools, only pointing out some serious weaknesses in our HS athletics from the top down. Some schools do "random" drug testing. I say "random" because I do know of some coaches that have had specific students selected in the random tests for the student's best interest. It has cost the coach an athlete, but it may have saved the kids life. I support testing, although expensive, not nearly as expensive as the long term results.

QUOTE(DBWATCHDOG @ Jun 8 2007 - 07:56 AM) 826472843[/snapback]Backintn, I didnt read your posts that way. This thread has been very good. No trash talk of a player or schools, only pointing out some serious weaknesses in our HS athletics from the top down. Some schools do "random" drug testing. I say "random" because I do know of some coaches that have had specific students selected in the random tests for the student's best interest. It has cost the coach an athlete, but it may have saved the kids life. I support testing, although expensive, not nearly as expensive as the long term results.

Thanks DB. There is definitely some serious problems with the current system. It is good to hear about some coaches testing athletes on their own. But, as we know, self policing doesnt usually work. It is definitely the expense to save a life and to save the integrity of athletics.

QUOTE(DBWATCHDOG @ Jun 8 2007 - 07:56 AM) 826472843[/snapback]Backintn, I didnt read your posts that way. This thread has been very good. No trash talk of a player or schools, only pointing out some serious weaknesses in our HS athletics from the top down. Some schools do "random" drug testing. I say "random" because I do know of some coaches that have had specific students selected in the random tests for the student's best interest. It has cost the coach an athlete, but it may have saved the kids life. I support testing, although expensive, not nearly as expensive as the long term results.

Do they test for steroids or just have random drug tests? The normal drug tests' do not detect steroids or performance enhancing drugs. In Coffee County they have random drug tests but not for steroids. The steroid testing kit is much more expensive. From what I learned in my interview from Doctor Trussler in my story...normal drug testing kits are less than $5 a piece.....for steroids...the cost is closer to $75 a piece.

QUOTE(pedo_29 @ Jun 8 2007 - 10:45 AM) 826472894[/snapback]Do they test for steroids or just have random drug tests? The normal drug tests' do not detect steroids or performance enhancing drugs. In Coffee County they have random drug tests but not for steroids. The steroid testing kit is much more expensive. From what I learned in my interview from Doctor Trussler in my story...normal drug testing kits are less than $5 a piece.....for steroids...the cost is closer to $75 a piece.

pedo, would it be possible for you to do another story, this time about the prohibitive cost of testing for steroids? Perhaps with exposure and public support the legislature would take a hard look at it.

With the large numbers of testing that would be involved, surely the individual cost of the tests would come down considerably. If it became part of the physical that every athlete has every year, perhaps then it could partially be covered by insurance. I don't know...just spit balling.

Testing cost depends on the number of tests involved. For instance the hair folicle test that can test for ANYTHING costs $35 each right now. It is also the most positive test that can be done as ANYTHING you want to test for will show up if it has been either injested or injected for the previous 30-60 days before the test. Yes it costs a little more, but the kids are worth it. It is almost impossible to cheat on it also and the known cheat the test things like Golden Seal do NOT mask it.

QUOTE(Lost Old Dad @ Jun 8 2007 - 11:59 AM) 826472917[/snapback]Testing cost depends on the number of tests involved. For instance the hair folicle test that can test for ANYTHING costs $35 each right now. It is also the most positive test that can be done as ANYTHING you want to test for will show up if it has been either injested or injected for the previous 30-60 days before the test. Yes it costs a little more, but the kids are worth it. It is almost impossible to cheat on it also and the known cheat the test things like Golden Seal do NOT mask it.

I've heard of the follicle test for THC, opiates, etc. Does it test for steroids too? What about HGH? Thats the one that I have heard regular tests dont test for.

QUOTE(couga14 @ Jun 6 2007 - 11:41 PM) 826472391[/snapback]Why would I kiss up to the TSSAA? So they'll buy me a plus membership.

There is no way you can let someone with a vested interest in the results(the school) preform the tests. Things other than steroids already get swept under the rug by schools and coaches, why would expect anything different with steroids especially when it could potentially help your school win. Even if you mandated that every school had to test their athletes, all it would take is the tester waiting till AFTER a game or a season to report a violation. By that time it really doesn`t matter, unless we are talking about prosecuting someone, or stripping away wins. Are we really ready to start with that type of thing, testing is all well and good, but what happens afterword? Are we going to start holding coaches, and AD's responsible if/when players start being found positive? The whole thing could create a very slippery slope. Something obviously needs to be done, but are people ready to do what is necessary?