Steroids in TN Football

BackinTN

QUOTE(JC4life @ Jun 10 2007 - 12:12 PM) 826473532[/snapback]There is no way you can let someone with a vested interest in the results(the school) preform the tests. Things other than steroids already get swept under the rug by schools and coaches, why would expect anything different with steroids especially when it could potentially help your school win. Even if you mandated that every school had to test their athletes, all it would take is the tester waiting till AFTER a game or a season to report a violation. By that time it really doesn`t matter, unless we are talking about prosecuting someone, or stripping away wins. Are we really ready to start with that type of thing, testing is all well and good, but what happens afterword? Are we going to start holding coaches, and AD's responsible if/when players start being found positive? The whole thing could create a very slippery slope. Something obviously needs to be done, but are people ready to do what is necessary?

According to the article in the Tennessean today Parents and most atheltes are for it. I noticed they chose one of the MOST expensive labs in Tn for their cost estimate though. Naturally the TSSAA was NOT for it, and evidently the legislators do not want it as they are saying the money they have for 'pet' projects in their areas instead of doing something positive for the kids. Just how much of a budget surplus did we have this year?

Can we all tell I am fed up with Politicians in general as well as the TSSAA? /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JC4life @ Jun 10 2007 - 12:12 PM) 826473532[/snapback]There is no way you can let someone with a vested interest in the results(the school) preform the tests. Things other than steroids already get swept under the rug by schools and coaches, why would expect anything different with steroids especially when it could potentially help your school win. Even if you mandated that every school had to test their athletes, all it would take is the tester waiting till AFTER a game or a season to report a violation. By that time it really doesn`t matter, unless we are talking about prosecuting someone, or stripping away wins. Are we really ready to start with that type of thing, testing is all well and good, but what happens afterword? Are we going to start holding coaches, and AD's responsible if/when players start being found positive? The whole thing could create a very slippery slope. Something obviously needs to be done, but are people ready to do what is necessary?

I agree, the school should not be in the mix for reliable results. I do believe that if testing is done as part of the regular physical exam, that leaves it in the hands of the local doctors. Hopefully, that would be a little more reliable. If you add another layer of random testing to be done done, that might reduce use even more. I guess you could even do like the Tour de France and test the winners at the end of the season. Even nascar tears down the winning cars to see if they had an unfair and illegal advantage. That all seems so extreme, doesnt it? Too bad we can just count on the ethics and honor of those playing, coaching, and administrating.

QUOTE(Lost Old Dad @ Jun 8 2007 - 05:13 PM) 826473008[/snapback]Anything not natural in a body gathers in the hair folicles so it is one of the best drug test I have ever seen used. As evidence in court it is accepted as 100% positive.

I think that is why HGH is so difficult to test for. It is natural in the body and the HGH that is used by cheaters is natural. I don't know the production process, but I have been told that its its use can only be suspected when higher than normal levels are detected in the body. Suspected, but not proven. I don't think that HGH is quite as bad as far as any wide spread use because it is 2-3 times more expensive than other anabolic steroids.

QUOTE(Lost Old Dad @ Jun 10 2007 - 05:12 PM) 826473589[/snapback]According to the article in the Tennessean today Parents and most atheltes are for it. I noticed they chose one of the MOST expensive labs in Tn for their cost estimate though. Naturally the TSSAA was NOT for it, and evidently the legislators do not want it as they are saying the money they have for 'pet' projects in their areas instead of doing something positive for the kids. Just how much of a budget surplus did we have this year?

Can we all tell I am fed up with Politicians in general as well as the TSSAA? /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Im right there with u on the TSSAA standpoint. it seems like when it comes to things important to the people that deal directly with the sport they arent willing to do anything but they will take away practice time and try to reduce schedules and other things to make us all mad i wouldnt miss them for a second if they went away. how are the officials selected?

QUOTE(pedo_29 @ Jun 8 2007 - 11:45 AM) 826472894[/snapback]Do they test for steroids or just have random drug tests? The normal drug tests' do not detect steroids or performance enhancing drugs. In Coffee County they have random drug tests but not for steroids. The steroid testing kit is much more expensive. From what I learned in my interview from Doctor Trussler in my story...normal drug testing kits are less than $5 a piece.....for steroids...the cost is closer to $75 a piece.

Sorry, good point. They were not testing for steroids, they were doing the basic drug test just like employers have done. This coach I am familier with had very strong reasons to believe drugs were being used and it was in the best interest of the player personlly to get clean. Not to mention the possibilities of use spreading to other team members. It is a sad statement that cost is preventing testing, but that is indicative our country's health care (another story!). It would seem reasonable that the TSSAA could carve a little off the inflated prices of play off tickets to assist in the expenses.

QUOTE(varybarry @ Jun 12 2007 - 10:31 AM) 826474175[/snapback]There is no price on a student's life, so the cost of testing shouldn't be consider a reason for not testing students.

The income from the state lottery for education has exceeded all projections. It would seem reasonable that this would be a good pocket to reach into to help fund the cost of testing. What current states test HS athletes?

• 2 weeks later...

The income from the state lottery for education has exceeded all projections. It would seem reasonable that this would be a good pocket to reach into to help fund the cost of testing. What current states test HS athletes?

Isnt it strange and possibly indicative of at least part of the problem that during the time of the year when most steroid abuse is occuring that this thread has gone totally silent?

Coaches and parents, be aware of what your athletes are doing. Find out what to watch for. Look for the signs. For the health of your athletes and the integrity of the game be on watch.

Good article on testing Steriod testing

Good article, Zone, thanks for posting the link. As usual, Ronnie has stuck his head where the sun doesn't shine. And he shows exactly what the TSSAA motivation is in most things; money.

With today's technology and with the power of volume buying, you can't convince me that you can't buy tests for less than $100 per test.

There will be something negative that will happen some day directly related to high school athletes and steroids and then there will be a scramble to get something done. There will be blaming and finger pointing, and someone somewhere will be hurt or worse, and lives will be changed forever because we failed to act now and blamed it on money.