3A state champion 07

QUOTE(ruse? @ Jun 4 2007 - 05:51 PM) 826471303[/snapback]Hey Tadvols.

Perhaps slow out of the gate like they were in 05 with a 0-3 start. However, I think the schedule will be a little easier in the early going than it has in the past few years. Give em some time to develop. They will be just fine come November. They are habitual.....winners.

ruse?

ruse? - I respect your opinion as I have have seen your posts and realize you do know alot about High School football .. but unless you have seen how bad the JV Falcons OL/DL looked last fall ..I think you would lean towards agreeing with me ... believe me when I tell you 5-5 season for Fulton and will miss the playoffs for first time in a while ... they lack a couple of LB's , a DE , some DT's on defense. They lack OL, TE on offense .... I believe its Catholic / AE battle this coming year ..with Falcons possibly making another move in 08 ... I understand alot of good freshman coming in this year but they are a couple years away from helping ... in 08 .. they will loose good skill players like V. Smith, K. Tyson and Humphrey ....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ruse? @ May 31 2007 - 10:41 AM) 826469587[/snapback]I would predict that this year's 3A champ will be the team that wins Region 2-3A.

I'm not going to say the team that wins that region takes home the championship, but I bet it is a team from 2-3A vs DL in the state championship. Until someone can step and beat DL I have no reason to think otherwise. Region 2-3A is the toughest 3A region in the state, IMO the only way a team doesn't make it from that region is if they all beat up on each other too much during the season.

Tadvols.

Thanks. I did a little hanging around over by St. Marys Hospital this past spring, and I share some of those concerns. On the other hand, I am optimistic about Fulton's chances, and here is why.

They have a very good staff that has been successful in developing lineman on both sides of the ball.

They have not one, but two QBs returning. Stinson has started since 2nd/3rd game of FR yr. That helps young OL a lot.

They have tremendous skill players returning. 3 step drops, and screens will help build confidence in young OL.

They are big. Blair 6-3, 320. Johnson 6-4, 270. Phillips 6-3, 285, Blasco 6-2, 260, Gamble 6-2, 250.

On D, the ends Antwan Hammilton 6-3, 220 & Cobb, LBs Stokes, All State and DBs are very good. Teams will be forced inside the B gaps which is where they may need some development. When you know where teams have to go, you can slow them down.

Winning is a habit at Fulton, just like at AE, Alcoa, Maryville, Catholic, etc. Not trying to argue with you, but I just don't see 5-5. I say Fulton splits Oak Ridge and Tyner. Thats 1. I saw OR/Bearden this spring, and Fulton can win that game. I did not see AE, but from what I have heard, they will be better even without Troutman/Anderson. Kenny Jones is outstanding. That game, however, is 8th/9th week, and Fulton could be on their usual roll by then. I watched Catholic vs. Rhea Co. Catholic was the best team I saw this spring. Both rival games, and could go either way. Let's say they split. That two "L." Let's say Fulton loses both, thats 3. I don't see Fulton losing to LA, AC, Kingston, Stone, Scott, etc. Scott has a lot back (18 starters ?), and apparently a QB transfer from Texas who is good, so maybe they sneak up. Thats 4. IMHO, 7-3 or 8-2 depending on how the leadership develops. That will be the key with all those SRs gone. Winters, Gildner, Freeny, Rogan, and others were confidence builders and leadres.

ruse?

QUOTE(montague1 @ Jun 4 2007 - 09:46 PM) 826471441[/snapback]I'm not going to say the team that wins that region takes home the championship, but I bet it is a team from 2-3A vs DL in the state championship. Until someone can step and beat DL I have no reason to think otherwise. Region 2-3A is the toughest 3A region in the state, IMO the only way a team doesn't make it from that region is if they all beat up on each other too much during the season.

Hey montague1.

I'd say thats pretty accurate. Pearl Cohn has a shot though. Seems they are loaded....again. While there is plenty of opportunity for those in 2-3A to beat on each other, they do seem to go outside to get ready for the playoffs as well. Fulton will have Oak Ridge & Tyner. AE will have Webb, Brainard, and Carter. Catholic will have what might be considered one of the toughest 3A schedules in the state this year with perrenial 4A power Morristown West, a loaded DII-AAA Baylor team, and last year's D-II-AA Sate champ, Webb; of course, in addition to AE and Fulton.

ruse?

QUOTE(ruse? @ Jun 5 2007 - 08:42 AM) 826471528[/snapback]Hey montague1.

I'd say thats pretty accurate. Pearl Cohn has a shot though. Seems they are loaded....again. While there is plenty of opportunity for those in 2-3A to beat on each other, they do seem to go outside to get ready for the playoffs as well. Fulton will have Oak Ridge & Tyner. AE will have Webb, Brainard, and Carter. Catholic will have what might be considered one of the toughest 3A schedules in the state this year with perrenial 4A power Morristown West, a loaded DII-AAA Baylor team, and last year's D-II-AA Sate champ, Webb; of course, in addition to AE and Fulton.

ruse?

Thanks Ruse .... for above post on Fulton ..you make some good points ..I got my fingers crossed on the OL/DL 's .. I guess when you have had Hamilton, Higgins, Kennedy, Reilly, Wiley and Brown for the past couple of years the new guys just dont look like they can get job done... gotta trust Coach Black ..he has been molding OL for many a year .. I know I played there .... sorry to post about Falcons on this post but I wanted to say doesnt Catholic play Bearden also ??I had heard that or that they were trying to get it worked out cause it would be a big money game for both schools.

QUOTE(Tadvols @ Jun 5 2007 - 09:00 AM) 826471535[/snapback]Thanks Ruse .... for above post on Fulton ..you make some good points ..I got my fingers crossed on the OL/DL 's .. I guess when you have had Hamilton, Higgins, Kennedy, Reilly, Wiley and Brown for the past couple of years the new guys just dont look like they can get job done... gotta trust Coach Black ..he has been molding OL for many a year .. I know I played there .... sorry to post about Falcons on this post but I wanted to say doesnt Catholic play Bearden also ??I had heard that or that they were trying to get it worked out cause it would be a big money game for both schools.

Catholic was suppose to play Bearden the first week of the year. Bearden backed out and is now playing Carter.

QUOTE(Tadvols @ Jun 5 2007 - 09:00 AM) 826471535[/snapback]Thanks Ruse .... for above post on Fulton ..you make some good points ..I got my fingers crossed on the OL/DL 's .. I guess when you have had Hamilton, Higgins, Kennedy, Reilly, Wiley and Brown for the past couple of years the new guys just dont look like they can get job done... gotta trust Coach Black ..he has been molding OL for many a year .. I know I played there .... sorry to post about Falcons on this post but I wanted to say doesnt Catholic play Bearden also ??I had heard that or that they were trying to get it worked out cause it would be a big money game for both schools.

Tadvols.

This is only what I heard. So please take it for what it's worth, and nothing more. Bearden/Catholic was a go. 2 yr deal (07-08), @ Catholic 1st yr, Bearden 2nd. Biiiig gates. Regional CSS. Deal was done with ADs & Coach's input. Bearden pulled out. Not sure why. I have over the years, spoken to many a football observer in this area, and have consistently heard about how good Bearden would be if Webb, and now CAK, and Catholic were not within a mile or so. Ahhhh, capitalism.

ruse?

QUOTE(ruse? @ Jun 5 2007 - 09:42 AM) 826471528[/snapback]Hey montague1.

ruse?

Catholic's schedule is BRUTAL!!!!

Do Fulton & Alcoa play one another this upcoming season????? If not that's bad because it was a fun game to watch (we in the midstate got to see the replay on CSS the Sunday afternoon following the game).

White House (3A midstate power) plays at Alcoa this upcoming season in a game that would be a good one for some of you east-TN folks to go and watch in person.

QUOTE(Big Country @ Jun 5 2007 - 10:28 PM) 826471936[/snapback]Catholic's schedule is BRUTAL!!!!

Do Fulton & Alcoa play one another this upcoming season????? If not that's bad because it was a fun game to watch (we in the midstate got to see the replay on CSS the Sunday afternoon following the game).

White House (3A midstate power) plays at Alcoa this upcoming season in a game that would be a good one for some of you east-TN folks to go and watch in person.

Big Country ... NO they dont ..Alcoa opted out ..dont know why Coach Coatney tried to keep it together .. Alcoa is a great place to play a game and Falcon fans enjoyed going there ..Alcoa beat us pretty good in 2005 ( 5 interceptions froma kid who found out 30 mis before game he was starting for the first time in his career ..starting QB was kicked off team) .. Alcoa had a better team but not that much better ... then the game you watched last year was classic ..Aloca cam out like gang busters on Defense but Fulton hung in there with their defense and then in second half Rogan started to get some holes and Falcons ended up winning) ..wished they were still playing .. good gates for both teams ... Rankin at Alcoa must have a friend or something at White House .. I think they are playing them in Fultons spot ... Fulton had to scramble to find somebody since Alcoa didnt want to play anymore .. I think Fulton was able to get Morristown East in that spot ....

QUOTE(Tadvols @ Jun 6 2007 - 10:47 AM) 826472099[/snapback]Big Country ... NO they dont ..Alcoa opted out ..dont know why Coach Coatney tried to keep it together .. Alcoa is a great place to play a game and Falcon fans enjoyed going there ..Alcoa beat us pretty good in 2005 ( 5 interceptions froma kid who found out 30 mis before game he was starting for the first time in his career ..starting QB was kicked off team) .. Alcoa had a better team but not that much better ... then the game you watched last year was classic ..Aloca cam out like gang busters on Defense but Fulton hung in there with their defense and then in second half Rogan started to get some holes and Falcons ended up winning) ..wished they were still playing .. good gates for both teams ... Rankin at Alcoa must have a friend or something at White House .. I think they are playing them in Fultons spot ... Fulton had to scramble to find somebody since Alcoa didnt want to play anymore .. I think Fulton was able to get Morristown East in that spot ....

That Alcoa/Fulton and the Fulton/Catholic 1/4 final game last year were great. Just absolute slugfests.

QUOTE(ruse? @ Jun 6 2007 - 02:39 PM) 826472224[/snapback]HappyHour22.

FWIW, I heard today that Bearden & Catholic will play in the KIL Jamboree this yr.

ruse?

I hope so, should be a good jamboree. Even though it's just a half, it will still give the winning team bragging rights! Alot to play for in the jamboree.