How good is baseball in Middle Tennessee?

davidlimbaugh

A Nashville (McGavock?) and Columbia State product homers of a Blackman pitcher. A MBA product scores Vandy's first run.

A Riverdale secondbaseman breaks MTSU's Single Season hit record. 3-Time Warrior Classic participant Zach Miller is 2 for 4 for Ole Miss tonight with 2 runs scored and 2 RBIs.

I can't figure out why more people don't go to their local high school baseball games. The ones that do go are literally watching the stars of the future. And has anyone else noticed Tennessee produces a lot more great baseball players than football players even though ya only need 9 to play baseball and ya need 22 to play football????

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Jun 1 2007 - 10:37 PM) 826470272[/snapback]A Nashville (McGavock?) and Columbia State product homers of a Blackman pitcher. A MBA product scores Vandy's first run.

A Riverdale secondbaseman breaks MTSU's Single Season hit record. 3-Time Warrior Classic participant Zach Miller is 2 for 4 for Ole Miss tonight with 2 runs scored and 2 RBIs.

I can't figure out why more people don't go to their local high school baseball games. The ones that do go are literally watching the stars of the future. And has anyone else noticed Tennessee produces a lot more great baseball players than football players even though ya only need 9 to play baseball and ya need 22 to play football????

I love these young men David. I love their energy. I love their excitement. I love to watch them working out before the games...why If I can't get there an hour and a half ahead of the game I don't even waste my time going...the best stuff happens while they are warming up and before blue steps onto the field. I love their pranks between each other. I like to see their eyes light up and the teasing and joking that goes on in the dugout...hiding a hat, or a special pair of sunglasses...then the chase around the dug out... checking coaches back pockets just in case he is in on the trick. Man what fun memories that dugout brings back...I love to see them peeling out of sliding pants soon after the put them on....because they "overheat in the seat from the icy hot applied there ahead of time. ....That alone almost makes me want to go find a fat /50 co-ed slow pitch team to join...I could keep the books and juggle for them in the dugout....and straight-faced...you have no idea...I could hid anything and never crack a smile. I once went to the parking lot during warmups (bathroom break you know) and in less then 8 minutes I had jacked a friends car up high enough to get blocks up under the tyrods and hidden behind the tire out of sight...the wheel was just close enough to the ground to appear at first glance to be on the ground.....but the car would not go when they put it in gear.......my floor jack was safely hidden out of sight by this point....and I was big eyed innocent!

Limbaugh..... These are the real guys of baseball.... they are out there because they truly love this sport and not because someone is paying them to roll around in the dirt. When baseball season starts right after Christmas they put the old truck up on blocks, toss the steak to the dog, and kiss the girls goodbye....it is time once again for the love of their life to take over and control every waking breathing moment! You can see the love in their eyes.

Check out these photos at this link and you will see the twinkle in a bunch of 18 year old boys eyes!

TriCitiesSports.com

They worked hard at this game....but they danced too! That is great joy which those who never play the sport will never understand!

we had a summer ball game against the twitty city knights..there was a lot of talent on that team going to play college ball there were the 4 guys from oakland and also the top 4 or 5 pitchers in middle TN the kid from goodpasture 1 hit us and i dont know who we saw the second game i think he took it easy on us we managed to score 4 runs LOL

QUOTE(brosbaseball9 @ Jun 1 2007 - 10:02 PM) 826470283[/snapback]couldnt agree with you more on your assumption, rather more like fact, that tennessee produces many more good/great baseball players than football players.

Always has:

Major League Baseball Players Born in Tennessee

Check out Claude Osteen's birthplace.

But there are 15 NFL players from Tennessee right now:

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/search_r...metownSearch=TN

and check out HOF'er Lynn Swann's hometown: http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=208

But considering the size of NFL rosters and MLB rosters and the number of teams in each league I would say baseball and football are about dead even in professional players from the state of Tennessee. It is in the college ranks where baseball outnumbers football players considering the scholarship limits of both sports.....

QUOTE(brosbaseball9 @ Jun 1 2007 - 10:02 PM) 826470283[/snapback]couldnt agree with you more on your assumption, rather more like fact, that tennessee produces many more good/great baseball players than football players.

Always has:

Major League Baseball Players Born in Tennessee

Check out Claude Osteen's birthplace.

But there are 15 NFL players from Tennessee right now:

and check out HOF'er Lynn Swann's hometown: http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=208

But considering the size of NFL rosters and MLB rosters and the number of teams in each league I would say baseball and football are about dead even in professional players from the state of Tennessee. It is in the college ranks where baseball outnumbers football players considering the scholarship limits of both sports.....

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Jun 2 2007 - 08:42 AM) 826470441[/snapback]But there are 15 NFL players from Tennessee right now:

Somewhat off topic, but NFLPlayers.com's database is missing some guys. I counted 31 players from Tennessee high schools on 2005 NFL rosters (link), and I would have to think the 2006 rosters would have shown a similar number, factoring in the 2006 draft and offsetting that with attrition.

QUOTE(baseball @ Jun 1 2007 - 10:49 PM) 826470321[/snapback]4 Middle-Tn kids in the MAJORS now. Weathers from Loretto, Uggla From Columbia, Turnbow from Franklin and I cant think of the name of the kid from Savannah right now. Baseball in Middle TN is as good as any where in the country.

Uh...Did anyone happen to watch the World Series last year? If you did, maybe you happened to notice the fellow from McMinnville, tenn. standing on the mound for the Detroit Tigers. He is now with the Baltimore Orioles. His name is Jamie (CAT) Walker. A great example of a kid from Middle Tenn working his fanny off to make the most of his God given talents, and being patient. Then when the time finally came, he really realized the fruits of his labor..$12.5 million over 3-4 years (not really sure if it is 3 or 4) , but still a bunch..Hard work and determination does pay off for most..Good pitcher and great family man..Very deserving...Just like a lot of kids from this area..