Music City Classic @ Vanderbilt 7 on 7

scpride

QUOTE(BT Mafia @ Jun 10 2007 - 07:45 AM) 826473478[/snapback]Centennial made the quarterfinals last year and played well but lost to Rogers, the eventual Arkansas 7A state champ. Along the way, they beat Indy but Indy handily won when they played real football in the fall. A little evidence 7v7 can produce some misleading results.

I was there last year...Centennial did okay, but they barely beat Indy in that tournament so don't think it was that misleading a result. As a matter of fact, I believe it was the last play that Centennial won against Indy. No one is saying that 7on7's get you to the promise land but mostly every program that did well in it last year, did well in the fall.

And fwiw, this years tournament featured over 15 something teams that were in the playoffs last year so yes, it might have little difference with this coming year. The team that won it though, was one win away from a state title last year...so if their lines are even half way decent, I think it's safe to say they will be in that same position next year.

I think Crocker was the main guy working out for Lavergne, but I could be wrong cause Lavergne had small numbers on their backs so it was hard to tell half the time.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JesseWJohnson @ Jun 10 2007 - 07:46 PM) 826473634[/snapback]I was there last year...Centennial did okay, but they barely beat Indy in that tournament so don't think it was that misleading a result. As a matter of fact, I believe it was the last play that Centennial won against Indy. No one is saying that 7on7's get you to the promise land but mostly every program that did well in it last year, did well in the fall.

And fwiw, this years tournament featured over 15 something teams that were in the playoffs last year so yes, it might have little difference with this coming year. The team that won it though, was one win away from a state title last year...so if their lines are even half way decent, I think it's safe to say they will be in that same position next year.

I think Crocker was the main guy working out for Lavergne, but I could be wrong cause Lavergne had small numbers on their backs so it was hard to tell half the time.

Crocker looks the best in most people's eyes.

We should probably lump 7-on-7s and scrimmages in the same boat. No, a 7-on-7 tournament loss, or a scrimmage loss, does not count in the "L" column, nor does it necessarily bode poorly for a team's fate in the regular season. However, while a 7-on-7 win, or a scrimmage win, may not count in the "W" column, I think those accomplishments speak more for the quality of a team than a loss does for the inferiority of a certain team.

I think it's easy for many of us to say the results of scrimmages and 7-on-7s are meaningless, particularly if it helps us "save face" for our particular team. I've probably been guilty of that myself. Nevertheless, a team that fares well in 7-on-7s and scrimmages is probably a pretty good team, now and later (excluding injuries and other factors).

We should probably lump 7-on-7s and scrimmages in the same boat. No, a 7-on-7 tournament loss, or a scrimmage loss, does not count in the "L" column, nor does it necessarily bode poorly for a team's fate in the regular season. However, while a 7-on-7 win, or a scrimmage win, may not count in the "W" column, I think those accomplishments speak more for the quality of a team than a loss does for the inferiority of a certain team.

I think it's easy for many of us to say the results of scrimmages and 7-on-7s are meaningless, particularly if it helps us "save face" for our particular team. I've probably been guilty of that myself. Nevertheless, a team that fares well in 7-on-7s and scrimmages is probably a pretty good team, now and later (excluding injuries and other factors).

I agree. Don't discount the results. Teams approach these things differently; some want to work on evaluating players and work on their basic stuff and others want to win. I would say this is true for pool play anyway, because when the tournament starts doesn't everybody want to win? Therefore, the team that wins must have some pretty good competitors/athletes. If they have a solid o-line, defense, and coaching to go with these results then they will be pretty good during the season too.