Music City Classic @ Vanderbilt 7 on 7

scpride

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the delay on everything. Yes I was there for all three rounds of pool play as well as the tournament.

Hillsboro deserved the championship without a doubt cause Gordon, Jordan, and Garrett were on their game on Saturday...especially Gordon. Hillsboro destroyed Pulaski Academy of Arkansas, who was the favorite and hadn't lost a game in pool play. Pulaski has a WR named Cruz Williams who has already committed to the Arkansas Razorbacks and he was definitely one of the better players there. Still, he was basically shutdown by Hillsboro's defensive backs and Pulaski had absolutely no answer for the athleticism and ability of the Burros receivers. HHS was making some incredible end zone catches. That semi-final wasn't even close.

Franklin had two tougher games on their way to the championship final. First the Rebels faced off with Antioch, who really seemed to mature during the second day. The two teams kept going back and forth for most of the game and it was a late score that decided it. Franklin's got some good receivers, a couple like junior Starnes, who will be a no doubt high D1A recruit in about a year. Antioch's passing game kept getting better as the Bears new QB kept working at it. McAdoo had a number of highlight catches in the two days while Kedrick Towles, Dontel Watkins, and Dashawn Stallworth were also running good routes and making solid catches during the tournament.

Franklin then just beat Hazelwood East of St.Louis, Missouri. As a matter of fact, Franklin was trailing 31-25 with only seconds to go and the Rebels connected on a pass to the sidelines in which the receiver [sorry for not knowing enough guys names..Franklin's gear was hard to read] then reached into the goaline for the go ahead score.

From there, Hillsboro basically dominated Franklin in the championship and I think won 25-7.

Other schools that did real well were

David Lipscomb, Ravenwood, and I'd say Independence.

Lipscomb's got some good players and actually won the Commodore Award for both achievement and sportsmanship. Zack Rogers won the Music City MVP for best overall performance.

Ravenwood A team was not really flashy or anything, but they were pretty much consistent. The Ravenwood B team however lost every game I believe.

Independence played well for most of the tournament. They didn't get past the quarters, but still they did pretty well considering the fact that Pettigrew wasn't avaliable.

Dyersburg also did well as did MBA [though they lost early in the tournament] and I think Ensworth was a little more talented than I thought they'd be.

Lavergne was without Justin Bather for most of the tournament and struggled to stop teams while their QB's struggled to be consistent. Chris Gray made some highlight catches and looks bigger than last year.

Brentwood Academy was disappointing though #15 had some good plays on the first day. CPA was okay, just couldn't get W's most of the time. Cookeville's A team looked talented as did Greenbrier.

QUOTE(SACDAWGS @ Jun 7 2007 - 10:19 AM) 826472505[/snapback]Any results from today's action?

I heard there was a ton of speed and great players at this tournament.

Thought: maybe if TSSAA actually attended such a fun thing and saw the enjoyment these student-athletes are having that they would think twice about banning such tournaments next year. One gets a different perspective on things sitting behind a desk than actually being involved and at the event. Players love to showcase their talents to persepective coaches and to other teams. Those that play love the competition. The suits in TSSAA have lost any competition spirit they once may have had. Sad TSSAA, you are so sad. Tarnish these players dreams of competition, to measure up against other players from other states and flex the TN high school football muscle. In this humble HS football fan, you (TSSAA) are causing that muscle to become atrophy. Wake up TSSAA you are hurting your big dog sport.

Now, you are going to run the clock when a team is up by 35 or more in the fourth quarter, BUT if it gets below that then you go back to normal timing??? See link below:

http://preps.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...98&game_id=

It makes some sense just to get the game over with but that sounds like something you would do for a team of little kids. how are the tssaa officals selected because they havent been making alot of ppl that happy lately, and i think coaches should have more say in what happens.

QUOTE(JesseWJohnson @ Jun 7 2007 - 11:20 PM) 826472792[/snapback]Sorry for the delay on everything. Yes I was there for all three rounds of pool play as well as the tournament.

Hillsboro deserved the championship without a doubt cause Gordon, Jordan, and Garrett were on their game on Saturday...especially Gordon. Hillsboro destroyed Pulaski Academy of Arkansas, who was the favorite and hadn't lost a game in pool play. Pulaski has a WR named Cruz Williams who has already committed to the Arkansas Razorbacks and he was definitely one of the better players there. Still, he was basically shutdown by Hillsboro's defensive backs and Pulaski had absolutely no answer for the athleticism and ability of the Burros receivers. HHS was making some incredible end zone catches. That semi-final wasn't even close.

Franklin had two tougher games on their way to the championship final. First the Rebels faced off with Antioch, who really seemed to mature during the second day. The two teams kept going back and forth for most of the game and it was a late score that decided it. Franklin's got some good receivers, a couple like junior Starnes, who will be a no doubt high D1A recruit in about a year. Antioch's passing game kept getting better as the Bears new QB kept working at it. McAdoo had a number of highlight catches in the two days while Kedrick Towles, Dontel Watkins, and Dashawn Stallworth were also running good routes and making solid catches during the tournament.

Franklin then just beat Hazelwood East of St.Louis, Missouri. As a matter of fact, Franklin was trailing 31-25 with only seconds to go and the Rebels connected on a pass to the sidelines in which the receiver [sorry for not knowing enough guys names..Franklin's gear was hard to read] then reached into the goaline for the go ahead score.

From there, Hillsboro basically dominated Franklin in the championship and I think won 25-7.

Other schools that did real well were

David Lipscomb, Ravenwood, and I'd say Independence.

Lipscomb's got some good players and actually won the Commodore Award for both achievement and sportsmanship. Zack Rogers won the Music City MVP for best overall performance.

Ravenwood A team was not really flashy or anything, but they were pretty much consistent. The Ravenwood B team however lost every game I believe.

Independence played well for most of the tournament. They didn't get past the quarters, but still they did pretty well considering the fact that Pettigrew wasn't avaliable.

Dyersburg also did well as did MBA [though they lost early in the tournament] and I think Ensworth was a little more talented than I thought they'd be.

Lavergne was without Justin Bather for most of the tournament and struggled to stop teams while their QB's struggled to be consistent. Chris Gray made some highlight catches and looks bigger than last year.

Brentwood Academy was disappointing though #15 had some good plays on the first day. CPA was okay, just couldn't get W's most of the time. Cookeville's A team looked talented as did Greenbrier.

Thanks for the report.

Just a few comments to add to this post:

Hats off to the guys that attend these events to improve their game and make their kids better, while running their true offensive scheme.

You guys that dream up passing schemes that would NEVER, and I mean it when I say NEVER work in a real football game, spend way too much time on the krapper drawing up plays for 7v7 events. Use it on Friday nights, and win with it, and just maybe you will get some props. Most of the teams that attend these events are guilty of this, but some go a little too far. You know who you are!

Guest workinprogress

Hillsboro definately looked like the best team out there. I have been hard on the QB because every time i have seen him he has been off. For the first time he looked sharp. He made great throws and made good reads. I was impressed and I guess finally see what everybody else has seen all along. Week zero should be very interesting once the pads are on and Hillsboro and Franklin square off. Antioch recovered from a disappointing first day and came back strong. TD is coming along well and made some fantastic throws. McAdoo made some great catches as well as D Watkins. Both are great athletes. Ravenwood looked like Ravenwood usually does. Nothing flashy but about as consistent as you can be. And Indy looked really good at times and not so good a couple of other times. Great job by all who participated and by the Vanderbilt staff.

QUOTE(HitorBeHit @ Jun 8 2007 - 08:16 AM) 826472851[/snapback]Just a few comments to add to this post:

Hats off to the guys that attend these events to improve their game and make their kids better, while running their true offensive scheme.

You guys that dream up passing schemes that would NEVER, and I mean it when I say NEVER work in a real football game, spend way too much time on the krapper drawing up plays for 7v7 events. Use it on Friday nights, and win with it, and just maybe you will get some props. Most of the teams that attend these events are guilty of this, but some go a little too far. You know who you are!

You are 100% right and I couldn't agree more. Not to point fingers, but Clayton was guilty of this last summer and I'm sure nothing has changed. He would line four guys up to the right, roll the quarterback all the way to that sideline and chuck it 50 yards across the field to a wide open running back that had a delayed release. It'd gain 10-15 yards every time and they would end up scoring just about every time.

7-on-7 should be used to increase the comfort level and the quarterback and his receivers, as well as the secondary (to a lesser degree). Still, there are those that are simply in it to win and will do whatever it takes to accomplish that goal.