Music City Classic @ Vanderbilt 7 on 7

scpride

QUOTE(donathan5507 @ Jun 8 2007 - 03:18 PM) 826472972[/snapback]You are 100% right and I couldn't agree more. Not to point fingers, but Clayton was guilty of this last summer and I'm sure nothing has changed. He would line four guys up to the right, roll the quarterback all the way to that sideline and chuck it 50 yards across the field to a wide open running back that had a delayed release. It'd gain 10-15 yards every time and they would end up scoring just about every time.

7-on-7 should be used to increase the comfort level and the quarterback and his receivers, as well as the secondary (to a lesser degree). Still, there are those that are simply in it to win and will do whatever it takes to accomplish that goal.

Are you trying to say Hillsboro and Franklin changed their whole offense for 7 on 7?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about Hillsboro, but I know that Franklin (as well as several other schools) has a 7-on-7 package that includes plays designed specifically for a 7-on-7 tournament. As a matter of fact, big-time programs like Byrnes not only have a set offense, but they even have 7-on-7 teams that practice together during the offseason. These tournaments can be very prestigious and it's important to a lot of teams to win them, for whatever reason.

I don't think Hit was knocking every team, but just those that run 7-on-7 packages as opposed to a standard offense. That's what I was saying, anyway.

QUOTE(Footballfan15 @ Jun 8 2007 - 04:11 PM) 826472991[/snapback]Hillsboro ran nothing but their base offense all tourney and never changed.

I wonder how many times during the season are they going to leak the RB 2 yards in front of the center and throw to him? Use the 7v7s to get better. Last year Centennial did real well in the 7v7, but they still ran wishbone. 7v7s are over rated and are more for recruiting than anything else.

Congrats to Hillsboro on first place at Vandy's Music City 7 on 7 as well as Franklin.

7 on 7 is two-hand touch football. It gives the Quarterback & Receivers a chance to get in some quality practice time as well as the defensive secondary. It a day the players can go out on the field, enjoy throwing the ball around, to meet other players, and have some fun.

Vandy Coaching Staff did a great job of putting this fun activity on and should be congratulated. It will be missed next year because of the TSSAA will not allow these players to go out and have fun during this time of year. TSSAA arrogance is appalling and short sighted when it comes down to benefiting of the student athletes in Tennessee High Schools. Student athletes in Tennessee struggle to get athletic scholarships at University and Colleges versus states like Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia due to the TSSAA arrogance and limited practice time to help the student athlete succeed in the sport of their choice.

QUOTE(tnsparty @ Jun 9 2007 - 06:05 PM) 826473340[/snapback]I wonder how many times during the season are they going to leak the RB 2 yards in front of the center and throw to him? Use the 7v7s to get better. Last year Centennial did real well in the 7v7, but they still ran wishbone. 7v7s are over rated and are more for recruiting than anything else.

Well for one, Hillsboro didn't do that much passing to the running back for 2 yards..at least not in the 6 games I saw them play and certainly not against Pulaski or Franklin to win the thing. Most of their passes were for either 8 yards or more and a number of them were actually pretty good catches that were some what difficult to make so I do think it may have helped them get better. Plus it seemed to help create team work..which I think if you're getting extra events like this after spring practice is over, can only help you be better.

Centennial did do well last year, but they didn't get that far in the tournament and even if they still ran the wishbone, that was by their choice. The majority of the teams in this tournament ran either a spread or proset. Not too many of them were wishbone or Wing-T.

Independence did exceptionally well in the tournament last year and you could tell they were going to have a much better year. Stratford did well in the tournament..even knocked off a heavily favored Pulaski team and they rebounded from a 2-8 to a 6-5 season. Might not have been directly linked or anything, but I don't think it's overrated when a part of your team gets to work on things as well as do something as a team.

Also, this year was a year where a number of teams were trying to find a quarterback. MBA, Brentwood Academy, Smith County, David Lipscomb, Lavergne, even Pulaski Academy...was looking for a quarterback. If throwing outs, running crossing patterns, fades, and a few slants is not a potential help to breaking in a new quarterback..or giving him confidence...then I guess it is pointless then.

Anyways, to the poster that asked about Pulaski's quarterback, I believe his name was Spencer Keith. His Number was 3 either way. Good passer, not very big. He does seem to fit their system. Don't think he's at the level that Loucks was obviously, but he should be good enough with the players around him to be successful this season in Arkansas.

QUOTE(JesseWJohnson @ Jun 10 2007 - 04:09 AM) 826473468[/snapback]Well for one, Hillsboro didn't do that much passing to the running back for 2 yards..at least not in the 6 games I saw them play and certainly not against Pulaski or Franklin to win the thing. Most of their passes were for either 8 yards or more and a number of them were actually pretty good catches that were some what difficult to make so I do think it may have helped them get better. Plus it seemed to help create team work..which I think if you're getting extra events like this after spring practice is over, can only help you be better.

Centennial did do well last year, but they didn't get that far in the tournament and even if they still ran the wishbone, that was by their choice. The majority of the teams in this tournament ran either a spread or proset. Not too many of them were wishbone or Wing-T.

Independence did exceptionally well in the tournament last year and you could tell they were going to have a much better year. Stratford did well in the tournament..even knocked off a heavily favored Pulaski team and they rebounded from a 2-8 to a 6-5 season. Might not have been directly linked or anything, but I don't think it's overrated when a part of your team gets to work on things as well as do something as a team.

Also, this year was a year where a number of teams were trying to find a quarterback. MBA, Brentwood Academy, Smith County, David Lipscomb, Lavergne, even Pulaski Academy...was looking for a quarterback. If throwing outs, running crossing patterns, fades, and a few slants is not a potential help to breaking in a new quarterback..or giving him confidence...then I guess it is pointless then.

Anyways, to the poster that asked about Pulaski's quarterback, I believe his name was Spencer Keith. His Number was 3 either way. Good passer, not very big. He does seem to fit their system. Don't think he's at the level that Loucks was obviously, but he should be good enough with the players around him to be successful this season in Arkansas.

Centennial made the quarterfinals last year and played well but lost to Rogers, the eventual Arkansas 7A state champ. Along the way, they beat Indy but Indy handily won when they played real football in the fall. A little evidence 7v7 can produce some misleading results.

Who were the qb's Lavergne was trying out?

Did any of them do good? I know it will be tough at first for whoever takes over. A-rod was the man for a long time.

He bridged "eras" there - took a team that had been like 1-9 the year before he took over at qb, to 2 straight playoffs.

His contribution to football at LHS almost can't be measured.

QUOTE(chickenfingers @ Jun 10 2007 - 01:16 PM) 826473547[/snapback]Let me tell yall something...This 7 on 7 doesnt mean anything really...So i hope that everyone is not getting hyped on this 7 on 7 thing.... I mean sure it fun in all but this does not have anything to do with the season...

Passing tourney or not the athletes that Hillsboro have will pose problems for all. Add a 2500 yrd rusher to the passing game and Hillsboro will be pretty good. Teams use things of this nature to get better and to improve their passing game. My complements go out to coach Blade and the Burro's for a job well done.