Bill McCloskey leaving DB

Welshdragon

QUOTE(soccerfan02 @ Jun 11 2007 - 04:21 PM) 826473885[/snapback]It is funny how you want to bash on Bill about his coaching style but about every kid ( there are some exceptions) that played for him still make it a point to come and see him when they get into Town, So if they realy did not like him why would they make that effort. We have lost a good coach up here in East Tennessee and it is because people like dbwatchdog thinks he knows how soocer in this area should played why don't you apply for the job and see what you can do!!!!!!

"Bashing"? The truth is his mouth is full of profanity to the players, both male and female. Read the local paper, per his own quotes, IT IS the players who were at fault. AND yes, he does belittle students both on the field and in the class room. I would desribe him as a Bobby Knight on a soccer field. I didn't say anything about him knowing soccer or not knowing soccer, nor about my soccer coaching abilities. I simply desribed what is the truth about his personality. You failed to comment on what was the truth. As far as some players liking him and his style, Bobby Knight seems to be doing well at Texas Tech. It appears you may have been one to succomb to the Helsinki effect while being with McCloskey (you would have learned about the Helsinki effect across the hall in Mrs Brooks' class.)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At some point and time you have to take the nipple out of these kids mouth and let them grow up. That is part of the problem up here (northeast tennessee) is that to many people have to step in and not let a coach do his job they always seem to have the better ideas. You keep refering to he never take the credit for the loss. Well as a coach you can only do so much you can train, watch films and tell them what going to happen but when it really comes down to it the kids are the one on the field not the coach so at some point the kids have to take credit for there actions there agian they have to face the world and not be coverd up by a coach or parent. So dbwatchdog you can tell everybody in northeast tennessee that bill is gone but one thing is for sure northeast tennessee soccer will go down hill from know own because we will not make it past knoxville especialy if the kind of coach you want is some to cuddle the kids and hide them from the world.

QUOTE(soccerfan02 @ Jun 12 2007 - 10:07 AM) 826474171[/snapback]At some point and time you have to take the nipple out of these kids mouth and let them grow up. That is part of the problem up here (northeast tennessee) is that to many people have to step in and not let a coach do his job they always seem to have the better ideas. You keep refering to he never take the credit for the loss. Well as a coach you can only do so much you can train, watch films and tell them what going to happen but when it really comes down to it the kids are the one on the field not the coach so at some point the kids have to take credit for there actions there agian they have to face the world and not be coverd up by a coach or parent. So dbwatchdog you can tell everybody in northeast tennessee that bill is gone but one thing is for sure northeast tennessee soccer will go down hill from know own because we will not make it past knoxville especialy if the kind of coach you want is some to cuddle the kids and hide them from the world.

It is hot outside and Kool-aid is cold... keep drinking!

this is going downhill fast. I can see both sides of this argument as having played for both styles of coaches and there are strengths and weaknesses. Some players respond to bootcamp styles and some need that positive reinforcement to succeed. I guess my opinion would be that you have to know when to use each style. That was a difficult lesson to learn as a coach, but if you can do both and know when to use them, you will be more successful. No one system is perfect. We will see over the next few years how his approach works at a new school. I predict that smyrna will be pretty happy with the results, can they handle the method???? Good luck Coach.

this is going downhill fast. I can see both sides of this argument as having played for both styles of coaches and there are strengths and weaknesses. Some players respond to bootcamp styles and some need that positive reinforcement to succeed. I guess my opinion would be that you have to know when to use each style. That was a difficult lesson to learn as a coach, but if you can do both and know when to use them, you will be more successful. No one system is perfect. We will see over the next few years how his approach works at a new school. I predict that smyrna will be pretty happy with the results, can they handle the method???? Good luck Coach.

QUOTE(DBWATCHDOG @ Jun 8 2007 - 08:21 AM) 826472852[/snapback]I'm not sure what coaching style you had, but McCloskey will be different. He can bring discipline along with plenty of profanity. He is old school Bobby Knight. He will belittle kids on the field and in the classroom, not to mention publically in the press. I'm not sure I have ever read where he took the blame for a loss. I find it interesting that in the local paper he wouldn't announce where he was going, but at the same time (based on a prior post) Smyrna HS was letting it be known. They thought he was leaving 3 years ago when his son graduated. Any thoughts on new DB coach? Smeltzer? (Science Hill head coach, DB grad, beats DB and recently gave up the SH boys coaching job)

If all this is true then it could be a good thing for the program. when the boys program was at its best and went to state a couple years ago they had a similar hard nosed coaching style. the biggest plus is stability in the program. the upcoming senior class will be on its fourth different head coach in as many years. finally having a coach that will be there for a while will really be a huge boost. the talent is there, they just need the right coach.

QUOTE(jsoccer16 @ Jun 13 2007 - 10:04 PM) 826474859[/snapback]If all this is true then it could be a good thing for the program. when the boys program was at its best and went to state a couple years ago they had a similar hard nosed coaching style. the biggest plus is stability in the program. the upcoming senior class will be on its fourth different head coach in as many years. finally having a coach that will be there for a while will really be a huge boost. the talent is there, they just need the right coach.

You can have the greatest talent in the world and when you have a coach that can't corral that talent, your team goes nowhere. Coaches make a big difference than what People give them credit for and McClosky will be an asset to the Smyrna program. Stability really will not mean anything to the seniors because they will only be there 1 year, but down the road it will. Area coaches need to plan on seeing a confident Smyrna team, because while McClosky is not perfect he is good and will instill confidence in his players.