Bill McCloskey leaving DB

Welshdragon

D-B's McCloskey Resigns to Accept Job Elsewhere

Long-time Dobyns-Bennett soccer coach Bill McCloskey has resigned to accept a similar position at another school. McCloskey has coached at D-B since 1994 and compiled a 178-114-39 record in that time and won one state title. Photo courtesy Dobyns-Bennett athletics.

TriCitiesSports.com

June 4, 2007

KINGSPORT -- Long-time Dobyns-Bennett soccer coach Bill McCloskey has stepped down to accept a coaching job elsewhere.

A search is under way to find his replacement.

"We were very fortunate to have had Coach McCloskey run our soccer program for the last 14 years,'' said athletic director Cary Daniels. "We wish him nothing but the best in his new coaching position.'

It is unclear where McCloskey will be going. An announcement is expected later.

McCloskey had a 178-114-39 record at D-B in boys' soccer and a 242-101-33 record in girls' soccer.

His girls won nine region championships, won a state title in 1995 when they were ranked No. 6 in the nation, were runners-up in 1994 and made the Final 4 in the state in 1993 and 1998.

He was the TACA State Coach of the Year in 1995, 1997 and 1998 and was selected Region I Coach of the Year in girls soccer 10 times and in boys' soccer in 2007.

In boys' soccer, his teams made the state's Final 8 in 2001, 2002 and 2003. He won five conference titles in boys' soccer and won the girls' title eight times.

He was the Tennessee All-Star Game coach in 2001 in boys' soccer.

McCloskey came to Kingsport from Florida, where he coached Vero Beach and Port St. Lucie.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

coach mccloskey has accepted a position at smyrna high school...smyrna has been on the verge of having a great program for many years with an excellent feeder program. maybe this is the leadership that they have been needing.....there are excited people in smyrna...the girls have material and could show a marked improvement right away.....

McCloskey named new soccer coach at Smyrna

Arrives after 14 seasons at Dobyns Bennett

By JARED HASTINGS

jhastings@dnj.com

— Jared Hastings, (615)278-5167

Smyrna High School principal Bud Raikes has announced the hiring of William McCloskey to coach both boys and girls soccer, replacing Mark Gonyea and Maggie Morrow, respectively.

McCloskey has spent the last 14 seasons at Kingsport-Dobyns Bennett High School, turning the Tribe and Lady Tribe into perennial contenders in ultra-tough East Tennessee.

ADVERTISEMENT

"He has plenty of experience and has an excellent background in soccer," said Raikes. "Everything we found out about him was a positive in helping get our programs moving forward."

"I just feel like it was time for a change, time for a new challenge," said McCloskey, who also serves as the state chairman of the girls' soccer Tennessee Athletic Coaches Association.

"I have some buddies down in that area, and it was one of those things where somebody knew somebody and one thing led to another. I think it's a great opportunity."

The Baltimore native won a girls state title in 1995, led the Lady Tribe to four state tournament appearances and racked up an overall record of 200-82-28 while posting a 149-90-31 mark with his boys teams.

Like his previous post, McCloskey will enter with a traditionally stronger girls team. The Lady Bulldogs advanced to the District 9-AAA tournament semifinals last season before falling to Beech. The Smyrna boys suffered a first-round exit in their tournament.

Also, with perennial powers Hendersonville and Beech already residing in District 9-AAA, the situation will be much the same as McCloskey's Dobyns Bennett teams, who battled Farragut and Bearden — winners of six of the last seven Class AAA boys state soccer championships, as well as the 2006 girls championship.

"The nice part of it is that I'm not walking into anything that I don't already know about," said McCloskey of his new district. "We're familiar with Hendersonville and Beech — especially from the girls' side — so we know what they can do and how good they are."

"But we feel like there's a good enough base of soccer in Rutherford County and Smyrna that we can offset that."

QUOTE(mjuhb @ Jun 4 2007 - 10:21 PM) 826471387[/snapback]the boys just need organization and the girls need discipline and a father figure

if bill can provide that they'll be fine

I'm not sure what coaching style you had, but McCloskey will be different. He can bring discipline along with plenty of profanity. He is old school Bobby Knight. He will belittle kids on the field and in the classroom, not to mention publically in the press. I'm not sure I have ever read where he took the blame for a loss. I find it interesting that in the local paper he wouldn't announce where he was going, but at the same time (based on a prior post) Smyrna HS was letting it be known. They thought he was leaving 3 years ago when his son graduated. Any thoughts on new DB coach? Smeltzer? (Science Hill head coach, DB grad, beats DB and recently gave up the SH boys coaching job)

Watchdog I saw all that in coach and more. You left out arrogant and a very poor loser. I saw a lot of frustration in coach as boys and girls teams from elsewhere in East Tn. caught up with his squads. And it's more than letting a profanity slip. He curses. But he is a good coach and knows the game better than most of the good ones.

It is funny how you want to bash on Bill about his coaching style but about every kid ( there are some exceptions) that played for him still make it a point to come and see him when they get into Town, So if they realy did not like him why would they make that effort. We have lost a good coach up here in East Tennessee and it is because people like dbwatchdog thinks he knows how soocer in this area should played why don't you apply for the job and see what you can do!!!!!!