Weight lifting and games in the same day

CHSballer#16

Some teams have a weight lifting program that goes on during the summer, probably most teams. Some teams is not just baseball but they join in with the football team thats lifts in the morning. is lifting at 5:30 in the morning and playing two games every day to much to ask of 9th, 10th and 11th graders. I mean weight lifting is a necessity i no but every day and also play two games a day cannot be good on a kid. wats some of yalls input on this

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CHSballer#16 @ Jun 6 2007 - 06:23 PM) 826472274[/snapback]Some teams have a weight lifting program that goes on during the summer, probably most teams. Some teams is not just baseball but they join in with the football team thats lifts in the morning. is lifting at 5:30 in the morning and playing two games every day to much to ask of 9th, 10th and 11th graders. I mean weight lifting is a necessity i no but every day and also play two games a day cannot be good on a kid. wats some of yalls input on this

Well, the weightlifting in the summer is a must, your right. Thats a lot more important in the summer than playing two games a day. Lifting in the morning and playing two games a day, is way to much... I dont even know anybody that plays two games every day. I actually think that summer ball is way over rated now, and the teams should only play maybe 3 or 4 games a week at most, because they get a lot more chances to get looked at through high school baseball which the working out in the mornings is for. They wont get the chances to be looked at, if they get hurt playing that much summer ball, which will most likely happen. Thats the way I look at it.

our baseball players have to work out in the summer two times a week but it is not for baseball it is for football then they turn around and are playing baseball three nights a week.the football coaches made them work out during the high school season too.thats why our high school baseball team will not have sucess cause they are to tired to play.

QUOTE(coachsp @ Jun 7 2007 - 12:07 AM) 826472419[/snapback]our baseball players have to work out in the summer two times a week but it is not for baseball it is for football then they turn around and are playing baseball three nights a week.the football coaches made them work out during the high school season too.thats why our high school baseball team will not have sucess cause they are to tired to play.

What a lot of college and pro teams do is to work out with weights after playing. This seems to work pretty well for maintaining muscle mass, but it is still difficult to build mass and strength. This way body gets a full sleep recovery period before the games and actually bounce back stronger for the games. The difficulty in doing this for youth athletics is that many games are at night and its not possible to workout after the games. Also, the workouts have to be tailored to the athlete almost by position. Pitchers need to be very careful with their rotators, catcher have to be careful with their knees, etc. Working out with stiff, cold, tired, sore muscles in the morning before games is asking for injury.

I know at Union City, some of the "idiotic" football coaches have the football players lift the day of baseball games. So these players lift the last period of school, then go play a baseball game. This is one right after the other! No time in between like yall have said about morning and play later at night. I think it is absolutly absurd to have these players lift before a game, and expect them to play to their full potential and have any energy at all! It shows that all Union City schools care about is football and I'll give them basketball too...but besides that, they couldn't give a horses tail about. That's why they will never be as good a team as they have the talent for!

QUOTE(DWADE @ Jun 7 2007 - 06:45 PM) 826472646[/snapback]I know at Union City, some of the "idiotic" football coaches have the football players lift the day of baseball games. So these players lift the last period of school, then go play a baseball game. This is one right after the other! No time in between like yall have said about morning and play later at night. I think it is absolutly absurd to have these players lift before a game, and expect them to play to their full potential and have any energy at all! It shows that all Union City schools care about is football and I'll give them basketball too...but besides that, they couldn't give a horses tail about. That's why they will never be as good a team as they have the talent for!

It might be time for these athletes to decide....football or baseball!

My son made the decision and went strickly baseball for that very reason. They were asking him to work out the last period of the day and then 2 hours later he was on the mound for a conference game....he said hummmm one day after a bad pitching outing because his arms were too tired to lift let alone pitch and he walked off the football team.

If the football program and baseball program cannot work together with these dual sport athletes then the athlete needs to stand up and make a desision himself.

QUOTE(DWADE @ Jun 7 2007 - 05:45 PM) 826472646[/snapback]I know at Union City, some of the "idiotic" football coaches have the football players lift the day of baseball games. So these players lift the last period of school, then go play a baseball game. This is one right after the other! No time in between like yall have said about morning and play later at night. I think it is absolutly absurd to have these players lift before a game, and expect them to play to their full potential and have any energy at all! It shows that all Union City schools care about is football and I'll give them basketball too...but besides that, they couldn't give a horses tail about. That's why they will never be as good a team as they have the talent for!

i pledged with a couple guys last fall that attended union city high school and played both football and baseball. ive never once heard them complain of the workload. ive heard complaints about the coaching, but never that they were too fatigued from lifting weights for football to play in a baseball game.

going to christian brothers in memphis, i know i continued to lift for football during baseball season. during the spring baseball season, id get to school early, workout, have a normal school day, then go to either practice or game(s). in the summer, id lift in the morning/afternoon with the football team, then go play in a baseball game. personally, i never had any trouble with pulling the "double duty." in some ways, i felt better physically after lifting the same day as well as playing a baseball game (or two).

another factor could be the amount of physical activity a player is used to. a guy thats not as fond of pushing themselves (sometimes too far) to "get better" might not have the drive to continue doing something to help themselves, nor a team. i dont say that to call anyone "not driven" that doesnt like lifting the same day as playing a baseball game, im merely stating the fact that some programs across the state expect/demand a little more, or have a different level of expectations, than other programs.

in my opinion, it comes to down to whatever suits the individual player. some guys can do it, some cant. every body responds to "stress" in a different way. some handle it well, while other's bodies dont. what works for player a is not going to necessarily work for players b or c.

this is from a pitcher only stand point, i do not like lifting before a game especially if im pitchin. i belive you should lift bout two or three days a week but never before a game. i personally feel wore out after i lift plus when i say workin out i also include running. and everyone knows how important a pitcher's legs are. but it is also hard to lift on days that you dont have games on considering you play at least three double headers a week.

QUOTE(brosbaseball9 @ Jun 8 2007 - 12:13 AM) 826472785[/snapback]personally, i never had any trouble with pulling the "double duty." in some ways, i felt better physically after lifting the same day as well as playing a baseball game (or two).

It would depend on the position you play in baseball how lifting an hour or 2 before a game effects you.

Standing in the outfield and chasing on average 1.75 balls per game...along with coming to bat 3 maybe 4 times as opposed to throwing from the mound between 80 to 100 pitches or catching those pitches are very different workload levels in baseball.

If you do either upper body workouts or lower body workouts the last period of school and then take the mound less then 2 hours later at 5:00 and can honestly tell me your pitches are at 100%....well, lets just say I am going to need to see this to actually believe it... and not just 5 pitches....what I want to see is your pitch numbers 50 to 75...and beyond.

If you become stronger after a good weightlifting session then why do football players not have full lower body workouts the last hour before a game in place of the gentle stretching exercises or riding stationary bikes?

Many young men do play dual sports and I applaude them. I also suspect that the football coaches work with the baseball coaches in the off season conditioning when that off season overlaps the other sport.

i think you should lift during the season and heres why...at the beginnig of the year the kids seem to have more pop in their bat but as the season goes on t seems they are not as string and it sbecause they dont lift during the season very much at the very least do some push up to keep the muscle they do have

i think on game day you might go with a lighter load for obvious reasons but i think lifting is big throughout the year

QUOTE(1moreDBmom @ Jun 14 2007 - 03:09 PM) 826475058[/snapback]It would depend on the position you play in baseball how lifting an hour or 2 before a game effects you.

Standing in the outfield and chasing on average 1.75 balls per game...along with coming to bat 3 maybe 4 times as opposed to throwing from the mound between 80 to 100 pitches or catching those pitches are very different workload levels in baseball.

If you do either upper body workouts or lower body workouts the last period of school and then take the mound less then 2 hours later at 5:00 and can honestly tell me your pitches are at 100%....well, lets just say I am going to need to see this to actually believe it... and not just 5 pitches....what I want to see is your pitch numbers 50 to 75...and beyond.

If you become stronger after a good weightlifting session then why do football players not have full lower body workouts the last hour before a game in place of the gentle stretching exercises or riding stationary bikes?

Many young men do play dual sports and I applaude them. I also suspect that the football coaches work with the baseball coaches in the off season conditioning when that off season overlaps the other sport.

i agree that the position played does factor in heavily as to whether a player can go out and perform at an optimum level. BUT having had to lift right before getting a 50-60 pitch workout, i can say that my arm felt better. granted, the legs are a little tired, but i never saw it as a problem. as i said before, in my opinion, some kids can do it and some cant. ill use the old adage, "its more mental than physical." the point im trying to get across is that if a kid wants something bad enough and is willing to work really hard, then lifting before pitching, catching, hitting, throwing, running, etc., shouldnt affect them that much. it might have a small impact on performance, but not much if a kid is mentally tough. let me state tham im not saying your son is "mentally weak." if he were, he wouldnt make it through off season conditioning drills. everyone knows that physically, you dont want to finish that conditioning, youd rather stop because its easier than continuing on. mentally, though, you tell yourself that you have to push through the pain and anguish to get the chance to play for what you should want to play for: a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP (a.k.a. a ring). someone in another thread said they send their child to high school for life after school, but that kid still competes in athletics. if your goal isnt to win, heck, maybe even win at all costs in some cases, why put yourself through everything a player goes through to get ready for the season???....that i ask because, at least where i come from, the off season is not at all fun. other places it might not be so bad, though i cant speak for them because i have no previous knowledge of the workout regimen.

as for lifting before a football game....the "moves" are completely different. while each sport has both anaerobic/aerobic elements, baseball seems to have more aerobic and football seems to have more anaerobic. not to mention, a player on one side of the ball usually performs a couple tasks rep after rep after rep, and you also have to include the physicality factor of football as opposed to baseball where there is little if any. (compared to the degree in football)

thats just my opinion, though. by no means do i have the "be all, end all" solution.

QUOTE(brosbaseball9 @ Jun 14 2007 - 04:26 PM) 826475098[/snapback]i agree that the position played does factor in heavily as to whether a player can go out and perform at an optimum level. BUT having had to lift right before getting a 50-60 pitch workout, i can say that my arm felt better. granted, the legs are a little tired, but i never saw it as a problem. as i said before, in my opinion, some kids can do it and some cant. ill use the old adage, "its more mental than physical." the point im trying to get across is that if a kid wants something bad enough and is willing to work really hard, then lifting before pitching, catching, hitting, throwing, running, etc., shouldnt affect them that much. it might have a small impact on performance, but not much if a kid is mentally tough. let me state tham im not saying your son is "mentally weak." if he were, he wouldnt make it through off season conditioning drills. everyone knows that physically, you dont want to finish that conditioning, youd rather stop because its easier than continuing on. mentally, though, you tell yourself that you have to push through the pain and anguish to get the chance to play for what you should want to play for: a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP (a.k.a. a ring). someone in another thread said they send their child to high school for life after school, but that kid still competes in athletics. if your goal isnt to win, heck, maybe even win at all costs in some cases, why put yourself through everything a player goes through to get ready for the season???....that i ask because, at least where i come from, the off season is not at all fun. other places it might not be so bad, though i cant speak for them because i have no previous knowledge of the workout regimen.

as for lifting before a football game....the "moves" are completely different. while each sport has both anaerobic/aerobic elements, baseball seems to have more aerobic and football seems to have more anaerobic. not to mention, a player on one side of the ball usually performs a couple tasks rep after rep after rep, and you also have to include the physicality factor of football as opposed to baseball where there is little if any. (compared to the degree in football)

thats just my opinion, though. by no means do i have the "be all, end all" solution.

Highschool sports........win at all costs?