DYERSBURG FOOTBALL !

trojanfan56

Counce had a two or three UNDEFEATED Regular Seasons.......GREAT COACHING..... He never would just line up and "OUT-ATHLETE" anybody... He COULDN"T....His teams were WELL COACHED....FUNDAMENTALLY SOUND.....and DISCIPLINED......And NO, he had NO Special talent to work with.... A hotbed of D-1 Talent it has never been....I played at Dyersburg in the mid-70's.......And J.T. Beasley was the FIRST D-1 signee since "The Tasmanian Devil" Jimmy Noonan signed with the University of Tennessee back in 1976........ That's 30 years between D-1 signees.... I am not talking about UT-Martin or Lambuth... I am talking MAJOR COLLEGE FOOTBALL... Tell you this much.... For the last 10 years let him have Haywood County's team and let Stowe coach Dyersburg's team..... Counce would have had a couple of State Titles....... And Stowe would have been lucky to break .500.....I have always thought James Counce did more with less than just about any coach I saw... Recruiters were NEVER beating down his door at Dyersburg...... Darren Bowling is next... Maybe that is why Counce supposedly "Handpicked" him to be his successor"....Counce has kids with a LOT OF HEART.....But as far as Major College talent .... Caldwell, if his grades were right.... He could write his ticket.... But since they aren't ......Maybe some school will "sign and place" him somewhere.... I know UT likes to send it's players to Coffeyville Juco in Kansas....

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the success in dyersburg under counce, is a result of the coaching staff, the system, and the hard work of the players......

stevieraydude is correct.....dburg has not been blessed with athletes that you see friday nights in haywood....

i see covington and occasionally crockett being a lot like dburg........ both teams have a few above average athletes combined with good coaching.....

now ripley, they are close on haywoods athletic pool tail ........just over the years they only had average coaching....... their new coach is turning things around and if he stays, then ripley is going to be a force to contend with.....

now kids, let this be a lesson………good coaching, good system, discipline and butt busting hard work can win you the majority of your ball games…

the success in dyersburg under counce, is a result of the coaching staff, the system, and the hard work of the players......

stevieraydude is correct.....dburg has not been blessed with athletes that you see friday nights in haywood....

i see covington and occasionally crockett being a lot like dburg........ both teams have a few above average athletes combined with good coaching.....

now ripley, they are close on haywoods athletic pool tail ........just over the years they only had average coaching....... their new coach is turning things around and if he stays, then ripley is going to be a force to contend with.....

now kids, let this be a lesson………good coaching, good system, discipline and butt busting hard work can win you the majority of your ball games…

the way stevieray writes it, jt was the only player d-burg has had the last few years,dont get me wrong hes a good player but not d-1 prospect,academics played into his scholarship also

the way stevieray writes it, jt was the only player d-burg has had the last few years,dont get me wrong hes a good player but not d-1 prospect,academics played into his scholarship also

Not a D-1 prospect?..... Look at who recruited him! http://mutigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/s...ay.html#beasley Apparently somebody thought he was a D-1 Prospect!..... What Beasley has is alot of Upside!.... He has the frame to get bigger and stronger .....Genetics..... Look at his dad.....Big Guy..... He was rated the #16 Center prospect in the ENTIRE NATION!..He was rated one of the 25 best players in the State last year according to the Knoxville News-Sentinel..... Did he look like one of the 25 best players in the state to me....NO... But Counce said he was the best offensive line prospect he had since John Hudson played at Henry County back in 1986 and went on to be All- SEC at Auburn as a Center.... And later won a Superbowl ring with the Ravens as a long snapper... So, I guess somebody thought he could play.... Missour went 8-5 last year, lost the Sun Bowl 39-38 on a last second squeaker to Oregon State.... And they are favored to win the Big Twelve North Divsion and Challenge Oklahoma or Texas for the Big Twelve Title..... Don't see them wasting a scholarship on somebody if they didn't think he could play...

JT was a fine player. He has the frame and the mind-frame to be a successful player in D1.

I don't know why we are discussing the past players now because it is 2007 and this should be an exciting year. I can only speak for myself when I say I'm as excited as I have ever been about the new season. I hated to see Coach Counce go but welcome the new blood into town. I've still not met Coach Bowling but have only heard positive things about him. As a Trojan fan and alumni I welcome him and wish him a very successful career here at Dyersburg.

GO TROJANS!!

JT was a fine player. He has the frame and the mind-frame to be a successful player in D1.

I don't know why we are discussing the past players now because it is 2007 and this should be an exciting year. I can only speak for myself when I say I'm as excited as I have ever been about the new season. I hated to see Coach Counce go but welcome the new blood into town. I've still not met Coach Bowling but have only heard positive things about him. As a Trojan fan and alumni I welcome him and wish him a very successful career here at Dyersburg.

GO TROJANS!!

there is alot of trash talking from fans on here that are so called trojan faNS, stevyrayvol were u one of the ones on the sidline filling up water bottles, caldwell is as good as it gets at tailback ask COUNCE and any other coach in the state they will tell you. grades maybe an issue we will see and so wht if the kid gets placed juko by tennessee atleast he will be doing what tennessee whants. look at most d1 schools and you will see the majority of their starters come from juko or they are redshirted for the first year so most kids only play bigtime 3 years and some only 2. caldwell is the best athleate in west tn ask any coach around. dyersburg has had some great players who either didnt make the grades due to the tough academics at dyersburg or were an inch or 2 too short for the big time. just like lAST SEASON, beasley wasnt as good as greg hunter, jermaine robertson, john stoval, eric boatwright, walker wellington,robert pace,ben lee,or austin lions but yet he was the biggest signee due to the publication his dad did on the scouting pages and camps he went to,, Beasley just had a taller frame and a 30 on the act all the kids above were stronger and alote more athletic than beasley but it shows that colleges are looking for more than an athleate. dont get me wrong im happy for jt and his family bu8t it needs to be kept real 30 on the act does alot . if any of theses kids would have had a 30 on their act they may have been playing on sundays greg hunter, jermaine robertson, john stoval, eric boatwright, walker wellington,robert pace,ben lee,or austin lions.

there is alot of trash talking from fans on here that are so called trojan faNS, stevyrayvol were u one of the ones on the sidline filling up water bottles, caldwell is as good as it gets at tailback ask COUNCE and any other coach in the state they will tell you. grades maybe an issue we will see and so wht if the kid gets placed juko by tennessee atleast he will be doing what tennessee whants. look at most d1 schools and you will see the majority of their starters come from juko or they are redshirted for the first year so most kids only play bigtime 3 years and some only 2. caldwell is the best athleate in west tn ask any coach around. dyersburg has had some great players who either didnt make the grades due to the tough academics at dyersburg or were an inch or 2 too short for the big time. just like lAST SEASON, beasley wasnt as good as greg hunter, jermaine robertson, john stoval, eric boatwright, walker wellington,robert pace,ben lee,or austin lions but yet he was the biggest signee due to the publication his dad did on the scouting pages and camps he went to,, Beasley just had a taller frame and a 30 on the act all the kids above were stronger and alote more athletic than beasley but it shows that colleges are looking for more than an athleate. dont get me wrong im happy for jt and his family bu8t it needs to be kept real 30 on the act does alot . if any of theses kids would have had a 30 on their act they may have been playing on sundays greg hunter, jermaine robertson, john stoval, eric boatwright, walker wellington,robert pace,ben lee,or austin lions.

First of all there WASN"T A KID YOU NAMED.... Who was highly recruited or recruited period for that matter....... Ben Lee, Maybe.... But the rest were just GOOD high school players.. Either TOO SMALL or TOO SLOW to play their position in College......And NO, most kids don't go to Juco.... Take a look at UT's roster and see how many JUCO kids they sign.... They signed 4 this year.... Nevin McKenzie from Trinity Valley Community College, Kenny O'Neal from City College of San Francisco, Brent Vinson from Hargrave Military Academy(Prep School) and DeAngelo Willingham from College of the Desert in Calhoun, Ca...... That's two DB"S and TWO Wr's because UT returns just One Starter in the secondary and NO starters at Wr's...... JUCOS are a "STOP GAP"... A "QUICK FIX" for Major Colleges.... They need a quick fix at a position and they would rather sign a Juco that is 20 or 21 years old and has played a couple of years on the JUCO level, rather having to count on an 18 year old fresh out of high school....And then, like in all recruiting, it is a "crap shoot"... .... UT has had 5 really good Juco players in the last 17 years.... Dale Carter, Chris Mims, Chuck Smith, Bernard Dafney and Gibril Wilson.... and with the era of the NFL "HARDSHIP RULING".... Lots of kids are PLAYING EARLIER.... Unless it's a lineman... and a TRUE FRESHMAN on the OFFENSIVE or DEFENSIVE lines in the SEC.... are as "scarce as hen's teeth"... Most linemen take a year to redshirt.... And some kids redshirt because there is a BETTER Player in front of them and they don't want to "burn" a year ... . or they came from a high school that didn't have a great weight program.... Because everyone is BIG AND FAST at the next level.... Talk to anyone who has played and that will tell you the one thing that amazes them: "The speed of the game"....Everyone is FAST AND STRONG in College football...And the case of Beasley being a couple of inches taller had a lot to do with his recruitment.... As well as his FOOT SPEED.... Some of those kids might have been stronger......But Counce said "He was the best offensive Lineman I have coached since John Hudson"... Who was All -Sec at Auburn and won a Superbowl Ring with the Ravens as a Long Snapper.... So apparently somebody thought he could play... Don't see many 5-9, maybe 6-0 ft Lineman in Major college ball....Or 5-7 185 lb linebackers....if you are you better be REALLY FAST... And none of that bunch, while Good high school players, with the exception of Ben Lee were big enough or fast enough to play Major College football, especially at their position.. UT-Martin.. Bethel... Lambuth....maybe....Mike McDorman was as good a LB to ever play for Dyersburg and he went where.... To Rhodes.... Good kid, excellent student(ACT Grades didn't hurt him) but he was TOO SMALL and TOO SLOW to play at a big school...But if you could have measured his heart he would have been recruited by every major college in the country... But the fact is... Somewhere true Athleticism takes over.... And the scouts are not going to take a 5-7 185 lb who runs a 4.9 over a kid who is 6-2, 225 who can really run.....It ain't happening...

I am a big fan of Darren Bowling.... But JAMES COUNCE WILL BE MISSED.....You talk about a bunch of OVER ACHIEVERS....Because when it all boils down to is... Dyersburg since the James Counce area, has had GREAT TEAMS.... Kids with LOTS OF HEART....that were WELL DISCIPLINED and WELL COACHED.... Because MAN FOR MAN.... No way, YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT... are they supposed to be on the same field with Haywood County, Ripley...Those Teams out of Memphis, Melrose, Mitchell, East when it comes to Athletes.... I am telling you....COUNCE was great... And Bowling is a really good coach... He had NO SPEED WHATSOEVER( Sorry, Obion County Fans) and Beat Covington ... What 2 out of 3 years?.... Tells me what I need to know... The guy can coach... and with the speed he will have in THAT OFFENSE.... If everyone is on the same page... And with Logan Parker on board it can't do anything but help...I am hoping for a great year.... And the talent at the skilled positions is on paper.... As good as it's ever been at Dyersburg High School.... Just hope everyone can keep their heads out of the clouds and their feet on the ground.... Because of right now.... Everyone is undefeated....It will be an interesting year....

And as far as Tyler Caldwell... There is no bigger fan of Tyler Caldwell than I.... Nobody is pulling harder for Tyler Caldwell to make it than I am...But his name ISN"T on any of the recruiting service lists.... And it is because of GRADES.... I want the kid to MAKE IT OUT OF HERE!...... Because chances are, if he hangs around after graduation he will end up in trouble or working a night shift in some factory and that would be a shame to have all that talent go to waste....The kid can play... That was one reason Dyersburg wasn't all that upset when Andre Flowers ended up at Dyer County... Tyler Caldwell... Though I must say the thoughts of Andre Flowers and Tyler Caldwell in the same backfield would have been mind blowing to any Defensive Coordinator in High school in the State of Tennessee.... And if you can play... They will find a spot for you SOMEWHERE.... John Henderson was as "dumb as a box of rocks".... But ended up at UT because at 6-7 and 285 and being able to run like a deer certainly helped his chances..... Just hope Caldwell makes it... The kid if his grades were right could right his own ticket...

And no Trojan56, I didn't fill up too many water bottles...I been watching these Trojans longer than you have been around probably...I played for Bobby Newby and HE made state one year and until the early 90's... There wasn't a Dyersburg team that made the State playoffs again until Errol Hook led them... And with James Counce it became something NEW.... And something alot of People and kids who have been in school since 1997 I think have taken for granted....... He made it seem like if we didn't make the playoffs then something was BAD WRONG...I am telling you... Before Counce got here... This program was a doormat.... I have been with it the LAST 35 years.... I hope the new staff can keep the tradition going....I wish Darren Bowling and his staff and all the kids nothing but the best.... I am excited about the upcoming season....

• 3 weeks later...

If this Dyersburg team is to be as good as advertised, I think we will know very soon. Now I don't know alot about this year's Memphis Frayser team, and havent caught an exstenive look at this year's schedule but I do know we open the year up at home against said Memphis team.

Now in the past two years Dyersburg hasn't had much fun playing teams out of Region 8. Sheffield a 2-8 team at the time came in and out played Dyersburg two years ago in the playoffs. Dyersburg was undefeated goin into that game, a prediction not to unreachable for this year squad. Also last year's playoff game against Memphis Mitchell wasn't a pleasant one either. Coming to that last second game saving tackle.

The teams I have seen from Region 8 are very talented, and Will be a test for a Trojan team that is still trying to come together. I think its a great early season test and a great pick by Bowling if he had anything to do with the Non-region games. The records at the end of the season may not be greatly impressive but they will be tough teams and its a great look at what they will have to offer possible in the first round.

If this Dyersburg team is to be as good as advertised, I think we will know very soon. Now I don't know alot about this year's Memphis Frayser team, and havent caught an exstenive look at this year's schedule but I do know we open the year up at home against said Memphis team.

Now in the past two years Dyersburg hasn't had much fun playing teams out of Region 8. Sheffield a 2-8 team at the time came in and out played Dyersburg two years ago in the playoffs. Dyersburg was undefeated goin into that game, a prediction not to unreachable for this year squad. Also last year's playoff game against Memphis Mitchell wasn't a pleasant one either. Coming to that last second game saving tackle.

The teams I have seen from Region 8 are very talented, and Will be a test for a Trojan team that is still trying to come together. I think its a great early season test and a great pick by Bowling if he had anything to do with the Non-region games. The records at the end of the season may not be greatly impressive but they will be tough teams and its a great look at what they will have to offer possible in the first round.

no one wants to hear the negative junk of the past and bowling had nothing to do with dyersburg's schedual