Best of Preps can be political

jon26

Alot of what you say I agree with. To not play club and have missed last year says alot. But giving up 5 goals all year I think credit there goes to the four defenders. A shame defenders don't get their due very often. I think saying the goalie gets player of the year is pretty out of bounds. But to have a a shared honor for all of their defenders would have been just. I do agree with you that the staff writers don't know who plays club.

I really doubt that the electors of the best of preps know who is or is not on a club team. The Baylor keeper should have been player of the year. To come back off of injury (missing his entire Sophmore year) and only give up 5 goals this year, that says a lot. I guess he will have to do better than that next year!!!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man if I am one of the CCS defenders and read this it sounds for sure like you think the goalie had no help at all in the ND or McCallie games. Might as well as not had a defender in front of him is that what you are really saying about the teammates? I don't think anyone really does it by themselves but sounds like you think so. So much for the TEAM part of it.

I think what you need to look at is saves. CCS's defense did not have one player that played club ball and the CCS

keeper had double digit saves in a lot of his games. I know in one of the Notre Dame games, since they played three times, he had 18 saves and the game ended 1 to 0 Notre Dame. Also, in the McCallie game they lost 2 to 0 but it should have been 6 to 0 because he made four great saves. I know that most all, if not all, of the Baylor defenders play

club ball and that makes a huge difference as to how many times your keeper will touch the ball. Danny is a good keeper

and deserves credit but how active was he during a lot of the games?

Guys, like the expression goes...it is what it is. Congratulations to the Chattanooga area Best of Preps first team and honorable mention. Just like in life there could have certainly have been different names in alot of positions and that is just how it is. But jon26 I know you were just rooting for the Baylor defense when you started this thread and rightfully so. Wow, what an accomplishment. But again, congratulations to all. Chattanooga is blessed with alot of soccer talent. But as for me.....The State Championship is so much better. Without a doubt the coach and players for Baylor would much rather have that anyday. There is no "i" in team...and that is what won it for the Red! Have a great summer guys.

Man if I am one of the CCS defenders and read this it sounds for sure like you think the goalie had no help at all in the ND or McCallie games. Might as well as not had a defender in front of him is that what you are really saying about the teammates? I don't think anyone really does it by themselves but sounds like you think so. So much for the TEAM part of it.

There is no knock on the CCS defenders they all did a great job and they will all be back next year. What I was trying to state is that sometimes the goalie does not do a whole lot in a game it just depends on how the defense plays in front of

him or it can be the caliber of team they are playing and CCS had a pretty tough schedule. Last year he did not touch the

ball near as much as he did this year. It is really a good thing for a goalie to display what he can do when he does get tested quite often. CCS had a young untested defense and they did a great job.

If in my original post I insulted you I apologize. That was not my intention at all. The only game that I saw the CCS goalie was when I attended the Baylor vs CCS scrimmage. I believe you must either be the goalie or a relative and again I did not in anyway mean to mean to belittle you. If you are talking about my post however I am not sure what incorrect stats are being spewed off. Please tell me what they may be. I don't think that any of the Baylor players care at all about the awards and I am sure that Coach Weekley does not. What won state for them this year was playing as a team and pulling together. The championship was just great and is really all that matters. Now if Weekley or Baylor had not taken the top spot that would be a different thing all together. You could probably take Chris Penn, Danny V and Brad Gibson and they are all just great goalies no doubt about it. I guess I was just surprised that again the best defense in the state by allowing just 5 goals all year did not get recognized. At least Michael Deere made 2nd team. Danny would I am sure be the first to tell anyone that his defense did it for him....but if you were at as many Baylor games as you say you would know that he made some incredible saves. And if you are a parent or goalie you could not have seen the 2 critical McCallie games or 3 state games. Looking back at my post I guess I was defending the back 4 for Baylor most as I think they were just amazing all year. Burt and Roden had never even played defense until this season. As everyone knows though defenders get less credit than anyone and the shutouts, etc glory shows up for the goalie. Coach Weekley though continually praised their play and I am sure for a player that means the most.

Regardless, I am sorry if I offended you.

I was just a little upset that it sounded like the CCS goalie did not belong in the Best of Preps. He did not ask for it

nor does it matter to him. I agree that what the Baylor defenders did this year was phenomenal and them winning the state championship is all that really matters. I am happy for the Baylor players, coaches and parents because it is something that will never be forgotten. I am friends with many of the players and parents and I wish them the best next

year and hopefully a repeat at state.

I can understand what you are saying. I really should not have brought an individual into it and it was poor judgement on my part. Without bringing up the position I think my frustration is more understandable. Probably more than anything I was just going to bat for the Baylor back 4. As everyone knows defenders do so much but get little credit. The goalie usually gets the credit even times when it may not be deserved. Such as a shutout where he has not handled the ball but a couple of times.

Again, I apologize as I should not have singled that position out. I am sure he is most deserving as are the others....and others not mentioned.

Good luck to CCS next season. It looks like with alot of your team back it should be an outstanding year and maybe you guys will bring home a Chattanooga championship as well.

I was just a little upset that it sounded like the CCS goalie did not belong in the Best of Preps. He did not ask for it

nor does it matter to him. I agree that what the Baylor defenders did this year was phenomenal and them winning the state championship is all that really matters. I am happy for the Baylor players, coaches and parents because it is something that will never be forgotten. I am friends with many of the players and parents and I wish them the best next

year and hopefully a repeat at state.

I can understand what you are saying. I really should not have brought an individual into it and it was poor judgement on my part. Without bringing up the position I think my frustration is more understandable. Probably more than anything I was just going to bat for the Baylor back 4. As everyone knows defenders do so much but get little credit. The goalie usually gets the credit even times when it may not be deserved. Such as a shutout where he has not handled the ball but a couple of times.

Again, I apologize as I should not have singled that position out. I am sure he is most deserving as are the others....and others not mentioned.

Good luck to CCS next season. It looks like with alot of your team back it should be an outstanding year and maybe you guys will bring home a Chattanooga championship as well.

I can understand your frustration because the Baylor defense was great. I know that you all have a lot coming back next year and I do wish them the best.

• 3 weeks later...