Ronnie Carter Interview

wbfg965espn

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except for the dead period, they pretty well left the summer alone.

A kid can play on a non-sanctioned team but not with more than 4 teammates. If they do, the TSSAA won't/can't stop them but can make them ineligible for TSSAA teams.

Always an angle to get what they want! As I stated before, in a round about way I guess, TSSAA needs to worry more about getting it's own house in order before they start telling mom's and dad's what they're kids can do on their own free time. Just about every HS sport received some kind of additional restrictions put on it, with the exception of football. There is no down time (restrictions) for football other than the dead period and when they can go in pads for the first day. This is one of the reason some kids are choosing one sport, versus 2-3 back in my days. Football coaches are mandating work outs throughout the year that typically interfers with the next seasons sport. Which, in turn, forces a kid to either choose football, or to quit football and have the freedom of playing basketball and baseball (or other sports). RC and TSSAA can blame AAU baseball, basketball, and wrestling all they want, but the real driving force for kids playing one sport year around is football.

(This is my opinion as a father of 2 boys that play or have attempted to play multiple sports in HS, as well as being a HS coach)

Always an angle to get what they want! As I stated before, in a round about way I guess, TSSAA needs to worry more about getting it's own house in order before they start telling mom's and dad's what they're kids can do on their own free time. Just about every HS sport received some kind of additional restrictions put on it, with the exception of football. There is no down time (restrictions) for football other than the dead period and when they can go in pads for the first day. This is one of the reason some kids are choosing one sport, versus 2-3 back in my days. Football coaches are mandating work outs throughout the year that typically interfers with the next seasons sport. Which, in turn, forces a kid to either choose football, or to quit football and have the freedom of playing basketball and baseball (or other sports). RC and TSSAA can blame AAU baseball, basketball, and wrestling all they want, but the real driving force for kids playing one sport year around is football.

(This is my opinion as a father of 2 boys that play or have attempted to play multiple sports in HS, as well as being a HS coach)

Believe me, many coaches in all sports are demanding kids participate year-around. I actually applaud the TSSAA for trying to do something as I would like to see kids play as many sports as they choose without any "punishment". As you know, any effort to limit the sports is unpopular.

Believe me, many coaches in all sports are demanding kids participate year-around. I actually applaud the TSSAA for trying to do something as I would like to see kids play as many sports as they choose without any "punishment". As you know, any effort to limit the sports is unpopular.

I understand about the coaches that doesnt want kids to play more than their sport that they coach but a RULE isnt going to change how a coach feels aobut that If a coach doesnt care he still doesnt care and if a coach doesnt want them to play another sport they STILL dont want them to play

I understand about the coaches that doesnt want kids to play more than their sport that they coach but a RULE isnt going to change how a coach feels aobut that If a coach doesnt care he still doesnt care and if a coach doesnt want them to play another sport they STILL dont want them to play

The majority of school administrators don't want to police this. They want the TSSAA to handle it for them. I admit that it doesn't work well, though.